“Pleasant Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sussex
“Pleasant Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip recently. The rooms are fantastic, kept clean and really spacious! The bathroom and dressing area is lovely too.

Breakfast is a bit disappointing and very expensive for what you get - that might just be because I'm a Brit and not used to paying that kind of money for that kind of food maybe.

The bar isn't open very much, doesn't open until 5pm and closes at 11pm.

Good location though - downhill to the shops and up some steep hills to get home, but you can always jump on the tram.

Staff are very friendly and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. You have a choice a room with a view (noisy) or a room with a view of a brick...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to hear that you found the room and amenities to your liking. I’m sorry that the café and lounge did not fit your needs. I appreciate the feedback in helping to enhance our offerings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

I love to stay at boutique hotels when I'm traveling for leisure and this one does not disappoint! Our studio room was spacious (two women with a lot of luggage), had a modern feel and refrigerator in the room. The customer service at the front desk and concierge was outstanding. The hotel is centrally located and if you are intimidated by all the steep hills to get to the hotel then there is a cable car stop right in front of the hotel. I would certainly stay here again when back in San Fran!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kyishia L
Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a wonderful view of the city. Breakfast and lounge areas were great. Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The hotel is in a perfect location to catch the infamous cable cars right on the corner.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review. I am happy that you were able to enjoy our breakfast and lounge! Please visit us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I travel for leisure so am very careful in choosing my hotels. I rely mainly on guest reviews in making my choice. Cleanliness, location, public transport accessibility and safety (because i travel solo) and wifi and in-room coffee are my main considerations. In all these categories, the Stanford court rates very highly in my chart. I stayed for three nights and had the most wonderful time.
Located atop Nob Hill, you have a good view of the city. Just a few short blocks from union square and china town, the walk downhill was quick. However, unless you are young and physically fit, don't ever attempt to walk back to the hotel (which I foolishly did) as the climb is extremely steep. Get on the cable car. Two lines, the California and the Powell lines, stop directly in front of the hotel. Get a day pass for 15 dollars and you can have a day long ride in all modes of transport. One way fare for the cable car is 6 dollars and you can pay on board.
The hotel room is very clean and very spacious. Bathroom is of good size and has good amenities. If only they have earbuds and a toothbrush! Bed is very comfy. They have a maid that cleans it daily. Room has coffee brewer with Starbucks coffee that is replenished daily. It also has an iron and ironing board. Don't miss the in-room safe placed in the second drawer of the desk. Wifi in my room on the 8th floor was strong and steady all the three nights I was there. I requested for a pair of slippers and it arrived promptly even though it was close to midnight when I arrived.
The staff, from the door man, bell hop, front desk to the chamber maids were very gracious, helpful and had a ready welcoming smile. Except for the woman who was manning the concierge booth who was rude and never had a smile on her face. On two separate occasions I asked for information and she was rude, and not helpful. i just walked away. otherwise she will spoil my day. She was the fly in the ointment.
I arrived at the hotel close to midnight, very tired and hungry, after a long flight. The hotel has no room service so you have to go down to the lobby restaurant to get your food. This is one minus point.
Overall, despite the rude woman and no room service, I will certainly go back to this hotel

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your glowing review. I am glad we had the pleasure of making your stay a memorable one!
Evanston, Illinois - USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I chose this hotel because my other hotels of choice were not available at a price I was willing to pay for this last minute reservation to San Francisco. I was hesitant because i had never hear of the hotel but took a look at the reviews and decided to take a chance.

There are some very high end hotels in this area (at top of Nob Hill) including the Ritz Carlton. This is a nice area but a note of caution to anyone not familiar with San Francisco: this is not the easiest place to stay unless you are able to take intense walks or are willing to take a cab. The Hill is very steep - although I enjoy walking up the hill, it may not be possible or desirable for many. Others may have a different impression of the area since there are cable cars that come right to the intersection of Powell and California (right in front of the hotel). I did not check the cable car schedule to know if it is practical.

As for the hotel - the service was great .... and the rooms were a good size and nicely furnished. The rooms and bathrooms were not on the same level as a very high end hotel but they were new, nicely appointed and clean.

I had a room that faced Powell Street - i heard some street noise but it wasn't too bad with earplugs. I read other reviews in which the courtyard rooms were recommended to cut down noise - if you don't mind a courtyard room (and/or if there is a significant savings) it may be an option. Personally, I prefer to face the street.

Also, this hotel has a huge footprint - it seems like it takes up the whole block. If you have any mobility issues, ask for a room close to the elevator. I had a room that was opposite the elevator and it was quite a trek to get to.

I came to the hotel with some hesitation but ended up being pleasantly surprised. I travel to SF a couple times a year ... I definitely would select this hotel again if on business and I would consider it for non-business trips as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom M
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that we were able to make a positive impression on you. I hope you will visit us again in the near future!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Every employee I met during my 5 day stay here last week went above and beyond to make sure my stay was as pleasant as possible. This was seriously some of the best customer service of any hotel I've ever been to, I used to work at the 4 seasons so I can say that knowing high quality service. In particular there were a few whose names I can remember, Mirzet, who helped fix a shower drain in the bathroom, took his time, was patient and polite, and told us about good restaurants and things to see in San Francisco. He worked like crazy to fix something and got it done with no hick ups, my hat goes off to him. One of the managers, Toby Ybay, was understanding, patient, and was able to help out 110% when I had a problem checking in when my girlfriends flight was late. There was a guy whos name I didnt get who works in the dining area for breakfast, very polite asian man who I noticed really works hard and went out of his way to help me find a can opener. Jeff at the front also knew some great places and things to do in SF. Overall a great stay, much of that due to the level of service by the employees. I dont know if room service matters to you, it does not to me, but if your girlfriend is a diva, just know that they dont have room service!

Room Tip: Level one has the ice machine!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am thrilled that so many members of our staff was able to make such an impression on you. Thank you for choosing the Stanford Court and I hope you will think of us on your next trip to San Francisco!
San Clemente, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel before and chose it again for its convenient location (accessible to two Cable Car lines) and amenities. The room was again nicely appointed and the staff was very friendly. Some minor service hiccups included lack of soap (I like bar soap at the sink and also at the tub) and coffee not being refilled after the first night. Unbeknownst to us, the hotel recently changed its target audience to "hipsters," which we're definitely not. Among the hits: WiFi in the rooms and the lobby without extra charge, and plenty of walk-up computers in the lobby to check reservations, print boarding passes, etc. The misses: There is no longer a true full-service, served breakfast available, or any other meal for that matter. For breakfast, you can get some grab-and-go items and a few hot choices, along with mediocre coffee in a paper cup. After that, nothing is available to eat the rest of the day. That just doesn't cut it for us. I understand that they did away with their big restaurant, but to us, being able to get a decent breakfast or snack are essentials, as are "real" coffee cups. So we will be checking out other options for our next stay.

Room Tip: Note that the "view" rooms may also be noisier due to the proximity to the two cable car l...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy that you were pleased with the room and hotel amenities. I apologize that housekeeping was off-form – I assure you that it not the standard at which we operate. I regret not being able to fulfill your desire for room service. While we no longer offer a full-service restaurant, our breakfast café offers artisan pastries, craft hot sandwiches, and local and organic take n’ go snacks and beverages. The Stanford Court is centrally located to many restaurants within walking distance and for delivery. Our concierge team is always available to offer suggestions to please every palate, Again, thank you for your feedback.