“Under renovatoin”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #65 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I stayed one night on a business trip at the Standford court and picked this hotel for the location and Marriott points. It is under some serious renovation - if you like a formal lobby wait until they are done and I am sure it will be beautiful. Right now there is just a small area cordoned off to register and no real lobby - just an area that at one point must have been a conference room that has some couches and a make shift bar. The rooms are small but clean and well appointed. Staff is very accommodating and location is great on Nob Hill. Health club is closed but complimentary pass to neighbor facility is available. Also no concierge level until renovation is complete.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank burchard
There are newer reviews for Stanford Court San Francisco

Reviewed August 28, 2008

We had the chance to stay here but one night and it was glorious. The room was impeecably appointed, spotless and exceedingly comfortable. In addition, the service was exceptional: they had my pantes hemmed for me on a Saturday morning for me just before I left for the next leg of my journey.
The location is appealing as well. Since it sits on Nob Hill, everything we wanted was within walking distance or a short cab ride. Shopping, food, nightlife and sightseeing were all close by. Thus, I highly recommend this hotel.
So why not the full five stars, you might be wondering? Well that's the basis of my sole complaint. We happened to stay there towards the end of construction so we did not have a real lobby to see, or a bar or restaraunt to grab a snack or a cocktail due to the construction. Also, the valet area is terrible. Both times I pulled in there, someone had left their car so that it blocked the circle to get around to the valet. A minor nuisance, admittedly, but something that should be noted. Still, all in all, I would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank txlitig8or
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The hotel is under renovations and the lobby is of no use. The check in is practically done in a closet. We stayed on the top floor facing the bay but right above the trolly cars with the 'at first' lovely clanging-- the longer that went on the more annoying that was, and then the car honking. Not very restful soundwise, but the bed was really lovely and soft.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Really enjoyed our stay at the Stanford Court. The hotel is right at the top of Nob Hill - going down is easy coming back is a killer!
We purchased a 3 day ticket from the hotel for the 'muni' transport so were able to use the trams, cable cars and buses so getting around was made easier. The room was very clean but did seem small as we had just come back from large rooms in San Fransisco and Hawaii. The decor was lovely as the room had been recently renovated. There were tea/coffee making facilities, air conditioning and a huge TV. The beds were turned back every evening and a chocolate and bottle of water left in the room for our use. The radio was also turned on which made the room seem very comfortable to come back too. We did not have much to do with the front desk so I can't really comment on this. The doormen were very pleasant and happy to have a chat everytime we came in and out. There is a free internet /computer in the foyer which is for everyone's use but they do ask that you restrict the usage time to 10 minutes which seemed reasonable.
It would have been nice to see more of the hotel but with all of the renovations being carried out this was impossible. Be prepared to wait a long time to for the cable cars as obviously everyone wants/needs to use them. Use the 'muni' transport to go to the Golden Bridge then take a walk across - very invigorating!
If you want to visit Alcatraz you MUST book before going, we were really dissapointed to find that all the tickets had gone until at least a week after we left. We had to make do with a boat trip around the island which wasn't quite the same.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bethany63
Reviewed August 14, 2008

The rooms have been recently renovated. However the room I had was very small with no closet or dresser space. There was a place to hang your clothes in the bathroom! View looked onto a courtyard that was very depressing. A large flag blocked the light into the room with a strobe effect in the late afternoon. I slipped and fell in the bath tub taking a shower and was unable to get a bath mat.
The staff seemed nice but I had little interaction with them. I was there for a meeting. Facilities were adequate.
I do like Marriott and stay at Marriott when I can. I am afraid if this is what they are aiming their renovations at in this property they have missed the mark. I would stay elsewhere if I was to return for a conference.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I booked three rooms for three nights for our family get-together in San Fransciso. Everyone really enjoyed comfy, clean rooms and the price was very reasonable on Priceline. All three rooms were newly renovated on the upper floors! Free champagn in the Lobby on Thursday evening welcomed us to the hotel - very nice. The concierge was fabulous! We had trouble getting reservations to The Slanted Door - a restaurant that was highly recommended to us. The concierge was able to book our reservations like magic. The concierge continued to be our best friend throughout the weekend. The hotel is undergoing renovations but we were only disturbed by noise on late Friday afternoon. Everything was quiet over the weekend. This is a nice location with easy access to public transportation. The trolleys were very crowded most of the time but well worth the wait to back to the hotel...as it's a very steep walk from almost any direction! We had breakfast at the hotel one morning and it was pleasant and delicious - although the service was a bit slow. We did have difficulty keeping ice in the room with no ice machine available. Room service would bring ice - but it usually took awhile. We took the hotel limo to SFO airport for a very reasonable price. Overall a very nice weekend!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank kmc2
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights with our two sons. The staff is very professional and usually friendly and helpful. The layout of the hotel is a little strange and it was undergoing extensive renovations, so I'm not sure we saw it all.

The lobby (not check-in) seems out of the way, so you never think of enjoying it. Not really sure what was there--the hotel didn't seem to have a lounge or bar. It did have a restaurant, but again it was out-of-the-way so you don't think about patronizing it. I never even saw it, so I can't comment on it.

The concierge here is very helpful always ready with dinner recommendations, help with reservations, and even arranged for our rental car to be returned for us.

Our room was on the fifth floor with city views. It was beautifully decorated and newly refurbished. The beds were extremely comfortable and triple-sheeted. There was a nice, large flat screen television. The room was very quiet, except during the day when there was the noise of construction. It wasn't horrible, but could be heard. It was also very clean. There were nice robes for after showering.

On the downside: the room was quite small. One of our double beds was pushed up against the wall, so whoever slept there (me!) had to crawl over the other person. The bathroom was also quite small, especially the vanity area. The toilet and shower were separate from the vanity, which was nice. The room did not have a mini-bar or a dresser. Since the room was small, we had suitcases every where.

Our boys had room service several times as my husband were going out for dinner. The service was quick (20 minutes or so) and the food was very good and excellently transported. For example, the milks and ice cream were kept on ice to keep them cold. The staff was friendly. Of course, it was very expensive. We paid about $40 dollars every night for a small pepperoni pizza, pb&J, 2 milks, and two cookies by the time we paid the already high-cost of the food, delivery fee, and gratuity. Food in San Francisco is very expensive in general, and the convenience was nice and allowed my husband and me to get ready for a night out and gave our kids a treat of room service in front of the TV.

The hotel is located at the top of Nob Hill and at the intersection of two cable car lines. It is only three blocks from China Town and close to a nice shopping district. There are some beautiful views. Walking in San Francisco and especially this area is quite a workout! The hills are very steep and it is straight up hill to the Stanford Court from every direction! As I said, two cable car lines stop in front of the hotel, which is nice, but they can be extremely crowded and you may need to be aggressive if you have stood at the cable car stop for awhile only to be pushed out of the way by others running for the car as it stops.

This was a nice hotel, located in a pretty and historical area. Nob Hill was the center of old San Francisco wealth in the early 20th century. It is close to some interesting sites (but not Fisherman's Wharf although the cable cars take you directly there.) I'm not sure I would chose this hotel again, though, if I were to return to San Francisco.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business