“Really missing Marriott”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntington Beach, California
“Really missing Marriott”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

This weekend, we visited the Stanford Court for the first time since the Marriott management ended, and really felt the difference in a negative way. First, despite our best Internet shopping efforts, our rate was 2.5 times our previous rates, and we have pretty high expectations for a room that costs nearly $400 per night - for a standard, non view room, prior to the $57 plus tax parking charge. In the past, we have visited 1-3 times a year, over several years. Personal expense, usually getaways from LA. We enjoyed Marriott niceties like early checkin, free upgrades to better views, extra towels and blankets per our profile. None of that carried forward - guess we should have thought to ask for that blanket upon making reservations. Paid upgrades were offered by email, and very confusing (for example, referencing wi fi when wi fi is free to all?). We opted to skip the "double bed, better view" upgrade upon check in and wound up with an awful rooftop machinery view, doors from several yelling kids incidents. Not what we were looking for in a romance getaway. Bed and linens were fine. Wi fi was free and worked well. The rest of the room situation was rundown and problematic. Bathroom: housekeeping forgot half the towels, brought them up when we called. Amenities were weird and weak. Shower pressure was waning - worse than we remembered. The bath is way, way not luxurious in any way, or worthy of the rate. Temperature controls were on and off and kept us up either hot or cold much of the night. TV service was intermittent - something wrong with the signal. Look, we love the legacy and location of the Stanford Court. Unfortunately, the city had decided to suspend cable cars during the Sunday of our visit, due to riot concerns having to do with the big football game. Wish we had known that before booking. So - the location really didn't serve us after all (did enjoy the walk down to Chinatown one night). As to the staff, well, let's just say we miss the Marriott concern for guests, welcoming attitude, return guest experience (and we are not even Gold Marriott guests). We miss the Marriott attention to detail - and important details of the guest experience. With the exception of the kind bellman who greeted us upon arrival and the young man who brought us the forgotten hand and face towels, all employees we encountered seemed rather cold, distant and preoccupied. I read recently that the hotel is seeking a hip, new vibe. Good luck with that.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lauranlauren
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am sorry that you found your stay to be unsatisfactory. Our staff works hard to provide a comfortable and inviting atmosphere for all our guests, and I’m very sorry that you experienced otherwise. We strive to provide our guests with the highest level of customer service, and I appreciate your feedback in helping to address areas that need attention. I’d like to learn more about your experience -- please feel free to contact me directly at mbaier@stanfordcourt.com to discuss your stay further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockton, California
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I wanted to take my mother to the Fairmont for her 80th birthday. The Fairmont is situated atop Nob Hill in SFCA, and when I tried to book a room, the price was as steep as the inclined street. You couldn't tell if the regular "dinging" sound you heard was the passing cable car or the cash register downstairs. Thus discouraged, I chose Stanford Court instead. At half the price of the Fairmont, this hotel is also atop Nob Hill, at the intersection of two cable car routes. Thinking this would afford us easily accessible public transportation, I booked a room for my mother, sister, and me. In retrospect, I should have chosen the Westin St. Francis. THAT hotel was actually closer to Union Square, about three blocks down a steep hill. Likewise, even though the Stanford is situated only two blocks from a number of restaurants, my mother wasn't able to manage the walk down those hills. Not the hotel's fault, of course, but something to consider. Inside Stanford Court we found a very friendly and helpful desk staff as well as responsive, thorough housekeepers. The exercise room is first-rate, with each machine boasting it's own TV. On the "down" side: The hotel's restaurant is closed for reservations, so forget about room service. The bar is open in the evening, and in the morning a small cafe will make you breakfast. Still, without a restaurant, it didn't feel like a first-rate hotel. Likewise, the room was smaller than what I am used to, and it was a squeeze for three adults, two full beds, and a roll away. In summary, then, this is an average hotel with great staff. If you don't mind (or want to) climb the hills, and if there aren't too many in your part, it's a good enough bet. But - don't take your 80-year old mother.

Room Tip: The 5th floor, Mason Street side has a nice view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cleorio
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. The staff is very happy to hear that you were pleased with the service you received. We are located at the top of Nob Hill, not an easy area to get to by foot, but worth the effort when able. I’m sorry to hear that your mother had trouble getting around. I hope she enjoyed a lovely birthday trip despite the challenging hills. The Stanford Court wishes your mother a wonderful and joyous 80th year and many more!
Charlotte
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed three nights at the Stanford Court on business. Staff was very professional and helpful. Workout facility was small but adequate. Lounge area was very nice and useful for meeting guests. Rooms were small but very clean - everything worked perfectly. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review! I hope to welcome you back the next time you’re in town for business!
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is in walking distance from Union Square, albeit a hilly walk! The staff were very friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The room was very clean and comfortable with easy chairs and desk.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I’m very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind review, the staff will be happy to hear about it!
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The person who checked us in was really warm and kind with a good sense of humor. I liked the framed note in front of each person at the desk with their name and a bit about them. It helped me feel that he/she had good information to share about the area. A very nice way to start our visit.

The room was lovely: really comfortable, beautifully decorated and amazing view. Street car was pretty loud, but worth dealing with to get the city view.

My only complaint is that the cost for parking was very high. Although my experience at the Stanford was so nice, if I have a car, I'd look for a less expensive hotel or a hotel with less expensive parking. I plan to return to San Francisco in July but I still won't take the Stanford off my list of hotels to consider.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am very pleased that you enjoyed our amenities! I’m sorry you found the cost of parking to be high. Unfortunately, the parking facility is managed by a third party contractor and is priced quite competitively with other hotels in the area. I do hope you will grant us the opportunity to serve you again soon!
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located on Nob Hill a beautiful area of the city. Close to civic and convention center. Very friendly personal. A little bit noisy on the rooms with street view, due to the cable car passing by
Comfortable bed and good room space. Will come back

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I’m glad that you found our location to be ideal for your stay. The staff was happy to hear of your kind words. I look forward to your next visit!
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Very nice hotel in San Francisco, and very well located! The only issue is, the hotel is on top of Nob hill, and it is very steep to go up by walk, however it is a good way to do some exercise. The room with city view is amazing, and very worthy!!
I recommend!!Staff are pretty sympathetic and helpful!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Marcilio C
Thank you for your comments! The hills are challenging, but the views from up here are well worth the climb! I’m happy that you enjoyed it! I hope to see you again in the future!