“A Professional Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pismo Beach, California, United States
“A Professional Experience”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

From the valet to Shon at the front desk. My guest and I were treated wonderfully during our stay at the Stanford Court. I have business that takes me to the bay area regularly. The Stanford Court will be my where I stay...
Again, thank you Shon for all your service.

Gary Stone

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I travel to SF on business somewhat regularly and stayed at the Stanford Court my last trip there. From the outside, the hotel seemed very impressive with a nice lobby. But check in took a good 20 minutes (at 8 pm), which was a little frustrating because I was tired and just wanted to get to my room. They had two stations going but the process was just slow. I was so hungry by then and was just looking forward to going up to my room to order some room service...that didn't quite work out because they don't have room service!!! I was really surprised that such a seemingly nice hotel wouldn't have room service. To make matters worse, they don't have a restaurant either. They only have a bar with a limited selection of foods. So I had to walk next door to the Intercontinental to grab some dinner (note, hotel is in nice area but not many dining options within a short walking distance). On the upside, rooms were nice and gym was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Despite traveling to San Francisco often, I had never stayed at the Stanford Court and had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful hotel tucked away on California Street. The room was clean and sharp looking and the bed was comfortable. The only thing was the room was on the smaller side, but the design made it work.
The staff is what made my stay as good as it was though and I'd be remiss to not mention them. Audrey at the front desk was my first (and great) impression when she helped me get into a room prior to the normal 4:00 check-in time. I had gotten to the hotel at 2:30 and my room was not yet ready. However, when I expressed the importance of getting in earlier to prepare for an early client dinner that night, she went the extra mile and found me a room that was available right away. As a result, I was refreshed and on time for the dinner--a great way to start the trip.
Then the next day, as I was about to walk out the door en route to a conference, I noticed that the seam in my suit pants had come undone. Umija from Housekeeping had just come into the room and when she noticed that I went into the bathroom and came back out in a different suit, she inquired as to what happened. When I explained, she immediately made arrangements to have the pants sewn by the hotel seamstress and promised to bring them to her that morning during her break. When I came back to the hotel that afternoon, the pants were sewn and hanging in my closet. I didn’t need to worry about a thing.
It’s these simple gestures that meant the world during my stay.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view--iti can be spectacular
Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel was a real bargain, considering how first class it is. It's on Nob Hill, near everything with spectacular views. Service was a little slow at times. However, the concierge gave us great suggestions for eating and sights nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed for four nights during our trip to California. The hotel was lovely and all the staff were really friendly and welcoming. The location was great, very accessible to most of the main tourist areas by cable car, walking and public transport. Be prepared to trek up big hills if you choose to walk places though! We had free Wi-Fi, a free room upgrade and peaceful nights sleep despite being in a busy location. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard to be away from the cable cars which run from 6am to midnig...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Although this was a short stay I was surprised by the quality of the service and the size and amenities in the room. I arrived very early and Audrey from reception was absolutely great at accommodating my needs and ensuring that I had a great room straight away... fab service without fuss. The rooms are very well appointed and have been designed with the modern traveller in mind, plenty of power sockets, wireless access, alarm with ipod connectivity and a bunch of other stuff, the rooms are a very good size and I liked how the bathroom was organized, altogether perfect for business or leisure.

On the other hand the common areas are not particularly big and the lobby, bar/restaurant and reception are just functional with good decorative/design elements. If you come to San Fran and want to stay in a central location, with good rooms and good service - this place makes a great alternative. If you are after grandeur or are the hang-at-the-lobby type of traveller perhaps you want to consider other alternatives. I will definitely be back...

Cambridge, UK
Reviewed September 20, 2013

For several years I worked a few blocks down from this hotel and my company conducted quite a bit of business booking clients into the hotel and using it as a base for meetings and Christmas parties. Therefore to be fair, in writing this review I have had to adjust from seeing this hotel as the five star accommodation it once was a few years ago. However even allowing for that, judging from my recent stay, although the hotel represents good value for the location, I can’t give it top marks due to some glaring omissions in communication and customer service levels.

The Good:
Good size room at decent price for location
Quiet (inner courtyard facing room)
Clothes hanging area in dressing room/vanity area of bathroom utilised space well
Iron/ironing board/hairdryer/fridge/tea & coffee making facilities in place
Comfortable bed
Good water pressure in shower
In-room safe
Very helpful staff working in the courtyard will call taxis promptly for you
Concierge service (although I didn’t use this)

The Bad:
Kept waiting at check in and found receptionist (Sean please take note) rather curt, ie enquired about room types and was brusquely told I had booked a standard room that had no view, plus the hotel was full, so no chance of changing it. I can accept this but the manner in which I was spoken to created a bad impression and was certainly not welcoming.
No apology given for being kept waiting (whilst second receptionist served people who arrived after me).
As another reviewer noted, there was no mention of the breakfast facility and although I knew of its existence from the hotel website, I had not noted the opening times and there was no information in the room about this service at all.
Room layout is terribly thought out, ie heavy furniture blocks the desk drawer that contains the safe and same situation applies to the fridge door.
The one bottle of water provided was a nice touch, unfortunately let down by the notice that after day one a charge would apply. For those who like their tea/coffee, note that the offerings are very basic, ie powdered creamer, not mini portions of UHT milk.

The Indifferent:
Completely indifferent check in experience – I can’t emphasise this enough because the hotel may be charging competitively, but still must do better than this.
A notice in my room advised that if paying the final bill by credit card, a folio would be placed under the door on the morning of check out. This didn’t occur and upon check out I was breezily told “Oh you’re good to go…”. Hardly – I do like to see the folio of what is being charged to my credit card before I leave the premises! This was produced with a smile when I asked – but come on Stanford Court, that is very basic service that you are failing to provide.
Breakfast: I used the facilities for this one morning. Be aware that it is adequate for fresh fruit/pastries/juice/coffee & tea/small selection of hot sandwiches – however this will be served to you on disposable plates with plastic cutlery – which may be fine, but just remember that it is very basic, rather than an environment where one would choose to linger over breakfast.
In reviews I saw mention of a bar and on the hotel website ‘dinner’ is quoted as sandwiches and salads. I saw nothing in the room or in the dining area to suggest what, if any ‘dinner’ service is available. There is a reasonably sized seating area (the hotel used to have a very good restaurant in the old days) but I can’t imagine wanting to stay here instead of going out. The limited public areas in the hotel feel very much like a revolving door of guests checking in and out, with intrusive piped music, rather than somewhere to relax.

Conclusion:
If you can find a good price, and you are quite independent, this is a decent place to stay in a good location. Walking half a block downhill from the hotel and turning right on Powell Street, you can easily walk to the Union Square area and en route there are options for cafes and diners, then obviously restaurants to suit various tastes and budgets.
Up the hill there are indeed the well known Mark Hopkins and Fairmont Hotels, but presumably the budget conscious may prefer to utilise those for drinks rather than meals.
Lastly, I knew exactly the terrain I was letting myself in for, but I don’t think it can be emphasised enough that the Nob Hill hotels are on a VERY steep hill, and if walking, there is not a way to avoid walking up a very steep hill, no matter from which direction you approach. Not a problem for many people, but really, don’t under estimate it! Cable cars do pass closeby and they are a good option, plus the staff at the inner courtyard of the hotel are very helpful in whistling up taxis for their guests.

Room Tip: A higher floor facing either the bay, or California Street would be best (higher up should dim the b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo