“No free Wi-Fi is the biggest let down here..”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel was our first stop on a tour of California. It is nicely located on Powell Street (albeit at the top of a rather steep hill) which as other reviewers have pointed out makes Union Square and Chinatown easily accessible. The location is really pretty good apart from the hike back but this is San Francisco after all. The hotel itself is nice. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room we were given was nice with a large bed and flatscreen tv. We had an inward facing room which only had a view of the other side of the hotel which was a little disappointing but didn't ask to be moved. The bathroom was nice and spacious but the shower left a bit to be desired. Our room was located on the 8th floor which was probably a reason for the poor water pressure in the shower but it was also located directly underneath a noisy fan of some description that was rather annoying through the night. The major downfall of this hotel is the $14.95 cost of using the wi-fi for 24 hrs. I can see why it is charged for but i personally don't agree that it should be chargeable in this day and age when paying such a lot to stay in a hotel. If you need to use the wi-fi nip down to any of the Starbucks which are on almost every corner and use the free wi-fi there and keep your money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott M
Write a ReviewReviews (4,879)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed four nights in this hotel by the bay. The staff are very accommodating and friendly. This is a great location for any traveler. You are moments away from China town, Fisherman's Wharf, downtown area for eating and shopping and a host of other great things to see.
I would definitely suggest this establiment to visiting seekers.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Viajero M
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very nice room overlooking Powell Street with views of the bay and Transamerica Building; the bathroom was a bit dated but the shower-head and heated towel bar made up for its shortcomings. I enjoyed the complimentary Wall Street Journal, and the staff was friendly and helpful. What disappointed me was having to pay $14.95 for internet access daily - perhaps that's the way it is with most SF hotels, but in such a wired city it seems anachronistic and a tad greedy. Perhaps if I were a business traveler who could submit those costs as a work-related expense I would not be grousing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was the final stay in a 2 week California road trip from the UK and was a good ending to our holiday. We found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and staff to be helpful. It is well located a short distance from China town and Union Square. Fisherman's Wharf is a little further. It is right on the cable car track to those locations which is fun to use. A three day pass (which includes bus travel) is good value at $14 and can be bought from nearby Walgreens. However, the proximity of the track was also the reason for our only negative comment. Our room faced California Street and had good views but the clattering noise from the cable car track, particularly where it crosses Powell Street, kept us awake at times. The windows offered little sound proofing protection. This didn't spoil our enjoyment and we would return but would ask for a inward facing room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 5teve
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Stanford Court Hotel has a lot going for it, but I stayed at this hotel because it was the location for a meeting I was attending and I will be getting expense reimbursement for my stay; at over $250 a night, it's more than I'd be willing to pay if I weren't. When I first arrived, I was given an interior room with no view, but I asked for a room with a view and was given one on the 4th floor with a nice (if not spectacular) view. The room was very nice -- spacious, comfortable, well-appointed. I only have a few complaints -- aside from the fact that the windows were sealed shut (all too common). First, I burned my fingers on the towel rack, which was left turned on when I arrived; I had no idea it was heated when I touched it and got quite a shock. Personally, I think they should not have the towel rack heat turned on; not only is there a risk of burning your fingers, it's a waste of energy; instead, they should have a sign with directions for turning it on yourself when you arrive in your room. Second small complaint: the layout of the floors is confusing and it's difficult to find the elevator bank. Third small complaint: I know this is a business/luxury class hotel, but $15 a day seems to me a ridiculous charge for wi-fi. I only had one meal in the restaurant, but it was quite good, and the waiter offered me 'seconds' on the chili without (as far as I know) charging me extra. The lobby and restaurant have a casual and somewhat subterranean feel to them, not at all grand like the lobbies of the Fairmont across the street or the Mark Hopkins a few doors down. The hotel has a very strange entrance that favors cars over pedestrians and that confuses almost everyone, but I suppose there's nothing much they can do about that now. In general, the staff was helpful, and one front desk clerk was especially nice. The location is both a blessing and a bane; on the one hand, Nob Hill is one of the toniest locations in the city; it's not only spectacularly beautiful, it's about as old money as it gets; also, this hotel is just a few blocks from Grace Cathedral (with the replica of Ghiberti's 'Gates of Paradise') and a nice little garden. And it's easy to catch a cable car going down California or down Powell. But on the other hand, the disadvantage is that you have to get up and down the hill to go anywhere else, and that can be quite exhausting if you're on foot; I climbed Nob Hill to get back to the hotel one evening and it nearly killed me; you have to be in good shape to walk up that hill~! Of course, you can always catch a taxicab or even a cable car to scale the hill, and even though one is in theory charged a fare, in practice, depending on where you get on, you don't necessarily end up paying anything, so it can end up being free. In short, this is a luxury hotel with a lot to offer, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if I couldn't get expense reimbursement for it; at $250+ a night, it's just too expensive~!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times (platinum Marriott & location) and each time the service is a little worse. Aurea has a limited & average quality menu, housekeeping is awful (late and not attentive to replacing used items). I'd recommend the JW or Mark Hopkins (from what I've heard).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anthony H
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was very much excited about my 2 night stay at this property, unfortunately I felt greatly let down.

What I will say is that the staff here are efficient and friendly and the location is spectacular. Stepping out of the hotel lobby and seeing both the trolley lines intersect at the top of the hill was a thrill aswell as the view. Plus the hotel has an old charm to it as it has bee around for a long time. Unfortunately being located beside the Fairmont, Intercon and the Four Seasons this hotel just cannot compete.

It does feel as if the hotel has had a recent refurbishment to being it up to modern standards however I was appalled at how little thought seems to have gone into it. Firstly I was disappointed to be only offered an interior room which resulted in me having to close all the blinds in order to maintain any privacy. Secondly whoever designed the layout of the rooms needs to be brought to count. When I entered my room my door opened and banged against the chest with the TV atop with my bed immediately to my left at odd angles to the tv. This meant that to watch tv one would get a pain in ones neck. Why the bed could not have been l.aced against the adjacent wall to the right of the room is anyone's guess, there was plenty of room to have done so. Also there was no buffer between the bed and the floor corridor meaning the headboard shared a wall with it, I could hear every footfall up and down the corridor. Also the bathroom was a disgrace, the shower head looked like something out of the Pixar logo and only adjusted to chest height meaning I practically had to kneel to wash my hair.

I was happy enough with the room service I sampled so no disappointment there although as usual it was very expensive. It was delivered in a timely manner and by friendly staff.

I was very disappointed by the hotels housekeeping staff. Upon check in I was asked to tick a box as to whether I wished servicing of my rooms and I ticked yes. Not once was my room attended too despite being out of the hotel (and with no DND sign on my door) for most of the day time hours. On one occasions I saw a housekeeper in the corridor outside my room as I was leaving and politely asked if she would mind attending my room and she said yes, well it never happened. I eventually at to ring down for fresh towels but I never got my bed sorted and it needed sorting as the bed sheets where ill fitting and kept slipping off the mattress!

Overall I was very disappointed. There are far better alternatives available and at cheaper prices too. On the plus side there is no need to attend the gym facility here as after a few climbs up and down Powell you'll be in great shape! My butts as hard as a rock after that trip!

Room Tip: Try to demand an exterior view as the interior ones are just horrific!