“Nob Hill location & luxury but overpriced”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #67 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Stanford Court Hotel has a lot going for it, but I stayed at this hotel because it was the location for a meeting I was attending and I will be getting expense reimbursement for my stay; at over $250 a night, it's more than I'd be willing to pay if I weren't. When I first arrived, I was given an interior room with no view, but I asked for a room with a view and was given one on the 4th floor with a nice (if not spectacular) view. The room was very nice -- spacious, comfortable, well-appointed. I only have a few complaints -- aside from the fact that the windows were sealed shut (all too common). First, I burned my fingers on the towel rack, which was left turned on when I arrived; I had no idea it was heated when I touched it and got quite a shock. Personally, I think they should not have the towel rack heat turned on; not only is there a risk of burning your fingers, it's a waste of energy; instead, they should have a sign with directions for turning it on yourself when you arrive in your room. Second small complaint: the layout of the floors is confusing and it's difficult to find the elevator bank. Third small complaint: I know this is a business/luxury class hotel, but $15 a day seems to me a ridiculous charge for wi-fi. I only had one meal in the restaurant, but it was quite good, and the waiter offered me 'seconds' on the chili without (as far as I know) charging me extra. The lobby and restaurant have a casual and somewhat subterranean feel to them, not at all grand like the lobbies of the Fairmont across the street or the Mark Hopkins a few doors down. The hotel has a very strange entrance that favors cars over pedestrians and that confuses almost everyone, but I suppose there's nothing much they can do about that now. In general, the staff was helpful, and one front desk clerk was especially nice. The location is both a blessing and a bane; on the one hand, Nob Hill is one of the toniest locations in the city; it's not only spectacularly beautiful, it's about as old money as it gets; also, this hotel is just a few blocks from Grace Cathedral (with the replica of Ghiberti's 'Gates of Paradise') and a nice little garden. And it's easy to catch a cable car going down California or down Powell. But on the other hand, the disadvantage is that you have to get up and down the hill to go anywhere else, and that can be quite exhausting if you're on foot; I climbed Nob Hill to get back to the hotel one evening and it nearly killed me; you have to be in good shape to walk up that hill~! Of course, you can always catch a taxicab or even a cable car to scale the hill, and even though one is in theory charged a fare, in practice, depending on where you get on, you don't necessarily end up paying anything, so it can end up being free. In short, this is a luxury hotel with a lot to offer, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if I couldn't get expense reimbursement for it; at $250+ a night, it's just too expensive~!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times (platinum Marriott & location) and each time the service is a little worse. Aurea has a limited & average quality menu, housekeeping is awful (late and not attentive to replacing used items). I'd recommend the JW or Mark Hopkins (from what I've heard).

1  Thank Anthony H
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was very much excited about my 2 night stay at this property, unfortunately I felt greatly let down.

What I will say is that the staff here are efficient and friendly and the location is spectacular. Stepping out of the hotel lobby and seeing both the trolley lines intersect at the top of the hill was a thrill aswell as the view. Plus the hotel has an old charm to it as it has bee around for a long time. Unfortunately being located beside the Fairmont, Intercon and the Four Seasons this hotel just cannot compete.

It does feel as if the hotel has had a recent refurbishment to being it up to modern standards however I was appalled at how little thought seems to have gone into it. Firstly I was disappointed to be only offered an interior room which resulted in me having to close all the blinds in order to maintain any privacy. Secondly whoever designed the layout of the rooms needs to be brought to count. When I entered my room my door opened and banged against the chest with the TV atop with my bed immediately to my left at odd angles to the tv. This meant that to watch tv one would get a pain in ones neck. Why the bed could not have been l.aced against the adjacent wall to the right of the room is anyone's guess, there was plenty of room to have done so. Also there was no buffer between the bed and the floor corridor meaning the headboard shared a wall with it, I could hear every footfall up and down the corridor. Also the bathroom was a disgrace, the shower head looked like something out of the Pixar logo and only adjusted to chest height meaning I practically had to kneel to wash my hair.

I was happy enough with the room service I sampled so no disappointment there although as usual it was very expensive. It was delivered in a timely manner and by friendly staff.

I was very disappointed by the hotels housekeeping staff. Upon check in I was asked to tick a box as to whether I wished servicing of my rooms and I ticked yes. Not once was my room attended too despite being out of the hotel (and with no DND sign on my door) for most of the day time hours. On one occasions I saw a housekeeper in the corridor outside my room as I was leaving and politely asked if she would mind attending my room and she said yes, well it never happened. I eventually at to ring down for fresh towels but I never got my bed sorted and it needed sorting as the bed sheets where ill fitting and kept slipping off the mattress!

Overall I was very disappointed. There are far better alternatives available and at cheaper prices too. On the plus side there is no need to attend the gym facility here as after a few climbs up and down Powell you'll be in great shape! My butts as hard as a rock after that trip!

Room Tip: Try to demand an exterior view as the interior ones are just horrific!
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel given the billing was a disappointment especially given the rooms were just over 300+ tax, Positives the staff was nice and the hotel clean and the location good, Negatives 1)The room smelled of disinfectant . The room was poorly laid out room with the closet in the bathroom and windows that were blocked by chairs and lots of street noise. No coffee maker in the room, no morning paper.at the door. Internet that was sporadic at 14.95 a day.. Room service breakfast, eggs and bacon $22.

If the hotel was $100 a night it would be fine.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are noisy.
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Pretty nice hotel located right there in Nob Hill (directly across the street from the Fairmont and next to the InterContinental Mark Hopkins). It's not cheap, but I suspect it's less expensive than either of those options. You're just a couple of blocks (pretty much straight DOWN) to Chinatown. Lots of other options of things to do within walking distance, too (just remember you'll be walking UP to get "home"!). Nice views pretty much whichever direction you look, so stand in the middle of the street and gawk a little like all the other tourists (but watch out for the cable cars!). As for the hotel, there's an overpriced bar/restaurant right there, but everything's overpriced here, so what are you gonna do?! Food quality was good. Rooms were fairly basic and, for $300+/night, it would've been nice if they'd left me a little bottle of shampoo for my 3rd day. I was here with a group and not everyone in our group had a similar experience (one person was in a "closet-like" room with one little window looking out at a wall and drawers that kept sliding open because the furniture was tilted! Spooky.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Decent place to stay. Nice location at the top of Nob Hill. Just a few blocks from Union Square and China town. If you plan on doing a lot of coming and going to/from the hotel, i recommend getting the Muni pass which gives you unlimited street car rides. Which other wise are $6 for one-way.
My room was 503. No view to speak of. Decent room. Queen size bed slept very well. Nothing fantastic about the room. We ate breakfast at the hotel on one occasion. I thought the menu was a bit lacking, and expensive. I had a croissant egg and bacon sandwich for $17. We got there way before check-in but the hotel will hold your bags. So that was a plus. We arrived at SFO on Friday morning about 1100am. Took a taxi from SFO to the airport cost $51. On the way back, because of a road race. We took a taxi to Powell street BART station, and then the train straight to SFO. $6 for the taxi, $20 for 2 train tickets. Took about 30 minutes. Trains run every 20 minutes.

Room Tip: I have no tips to choose a good room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This hotel was a comfortable place to return to after a busy day sightseeing in an amazing city. The location was convenient for Union Square, China Town, Fisherman's Wharf and the piers - it's located on the top of a steep hill though - so you'll want a sit down when you get back for the day!

We found the rooms and decor clean and comfortable - but we've had much better for the price we paid.

Whilst many of the staff were very pleasant, we didn't feel particularly welcomed at check in by a dismissive, distracted colleague. It was also hard work finding a member of staff to help us retrieve bags we'd stored with them as we'd arrived early.

A fine hotel to stay at if you'll be out and about a lot - but outside of location, nothing that made us think this should be pushed into the "very good" category.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple