“Great hotel with great staff and location”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #49 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kansas City, MO
“Great hotel with great staff and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in mid-February 2013 based on a very positive experience staying here in October 2012, and it did not disappoint, again. Really don't see a reason to stay anywhere else when we're in San Francisco. In fact on this last trip, we did stay one night on the beginning of the trip at the Argonaut, and we really like the Kimpton hotels in general but as much as we like Kimptons, it wasn't even much of comparison, the Stanford Court is so much better. Had a rental car we needed to drop off as soon as we got to the hotel, so we needed to leave the car there for a little while if we could check in, get the bags up to the room, and head back down to bring the car back to the rental facility. The bellhop was accomodating in keeping the car close and we headed to the front desk. The woman who checked us in was very good - she noticed the comment in my profile that we prefer quiet rooms, and told us that the suites, which I'd booked, are all actually adjoining rooms, so we may have a risk of not having a quiet room. And she went into quite a bit of detail about the different room options. We settled on a view king. Which was fine, $10 per night lower rate, and the view was decent, not great. In hindsight, if we stay here again (and I probably would, I still like this hotel and this area), I would book on the quieter side because you can definitely get some street noise from California St., primarily from the cable cars (not just the sound of the bell but also the sound of the cable cranking), plus emergency vehicles and the like. But I liked the room, the bed was very comfortable, the water pressure in the shower was excellent, there was plenty of space in the bathroom to spread out and put your cosmetics and personal items, the toilet and shower were in a little separate (from the sink) room with a sliding door for privacy, the closet with plenty of hangers was off to the right of the sink, which I thought was fine. And for 2 nights we didn't need all that much drawer space, either. Plus it had a nice flat screen TV, and great inputs for the TV and electronic devices. I know it may sound silly to comment on the AV inputs for the TV but I'm telling you they were perfect. Very well placed, easy to plug in a device (in my case, an iPad) and any cables (in my case, the HDMI cable to connect to the TV).

I have to say the staff at this hotel are really great. And I also can't say enough about one staff member in particular, a young man named Joshua. He took our bags to the room - and quickly, which I appreciated, and in just a couple of minutes I'd found he was from NY like I am originally. He was very personable and very accommodating. Anything I needed - for example, he noticed one time I was struggling with getting my iPad connected to the hotel's wifi network, while I was sitting a the bar in the restaurant, Aurea. He happened to be walking by, noticed and offered to help. He had me connected in a minute. That was great. Then the next night he asked about our dinner plans, and offered to call ahead, which he did. Also very nice. He has that special kind of helpful personality that will serve him well. Really he does a great job and the rest of the staff at the Stanford Court are very good as well. The one exception was this one particular valet guy who told us because it's raining that it's going to take especially long for him to hail a cab. I really did not get that at all and didn't stand around and wait for him to get out there, I just left and got one on the street myself. Other than that, though, the hotel is great. Nice room, comfortable bed, good bathroom, good hotel restaurant and boy the location is great. Really, people, don't stay at Fisherman's Wharf when you have the nice Nob Hill neighborhood and the intersection of both cable car lines. And so many good restaurants nearby. And Union Square not far at all. And nice views. Stay here, period.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Overall, I had a great experience. The lobby bars was very impressive, drinks and food werereally good but a little pricey for the small portions. The staff was helpful and recommended some local restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here many times over the past three years on business and it is always the same; good service and nice accommodations. One of the best things about the hotel is that even thorough you are in the middle of downtown, your hear very little if any street noise. Only reason it isn't five stars is they Nicole and dime you on coffee in the morning and parking is $50/ night. This is the case in most places in the City but it still blows your budget.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here for 2 days with my partner. The hotel looks nice and the staff give you warm welcome. The lobby and bar areas are pleasant and easy to navigate.

Our room was a little on the small side, but nothing that unusual for anywhere in the states. The bed was very comfortable. Our room over looked the back of the hotel and it was a bit noisy with service vehicles. Especially the one that was clearly taking the empty bottles!!!

The wifi was very reliable and quick. Nice size flat screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities too.

It was a real trek from Market Street back up to the hotel, but if you are a keen exerciser, I'm sure this wouldnt be an issue. If it is a problem then you can get the trolley bus from Market/Powell to California/Powell for $6 each way.

Also, it was nice to come out of the hotel and walk all the way down Powell to Fishermans Wharf. And going down Powell in this direction (the opposite end from Market) the hills are nowhere near as severe!!!

All in all, a nice stay..............

Room Tip: I guess a street facing room could reduce the noise...............
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lsjhu02
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We started out checking in and having our reservation lost!!!
I was ready to be very annoyed but to my surprise the manager at the front desk made sure we had a good experience.
She worked very hard to fix everything. In fact we were given wonderful rooms and she gave us a lower price.
The rooms are clean, quiet, and large. It was a fantastic stay.
Shopping was 4 blocks from the hotel. WONDERFUL!
Room service is quick and food was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and facing out. Cable cars run until midnight but we were on the 5...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Modesto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance for a business conference a few weeks ago. I've stayed at Mark Hopkins and Westin St Francis in the area and for a basic room the Renaissance was bigger and more modern.

You're walking distance to Union Sq however the walk to is much easier than the walk back as it is a pretty steep hill and will make your legs burn.

There is also an area you can go down and have breakfast and there is a nice bar for drinks as well. Or you can walk next door to Mark Hopkins and enjoy the Top of the Mark for dining/drinks.

I would recommend staying here for anyone who is looking to spend a weekend in the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kemp, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

The hotel is tucked away, but still in a great location. I stayed recently for business and I was impressed with how helpful the staff was in giving directions and making recommendations. The rooms are very comfortable, and if you are lucky enough to have access to the lounge, it is wonderful. The cost per night is reasonable for that area, and with access to the lounge for breakfast and snacks, it was a good value.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the California street side so you can enjoy the view of the cable cars and the nob hi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business