“Lost it's former charm”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #65 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This used to be a special hotel in a great location, we've stayed here at least five times before under other management....now it's just another Marriott. Our room was barely big enough for two people, the closet was in the bathroom (actually there was no closet, it was just a bar near the sink), two drawers for clothes. The coffee maker was shoved away in the cabinet, and the housekeeper didn't refill it. The espresso at the bar was cold...I could go on, but why? We won't stay here again. Plus they charge $15.00 per night for internet. Because they represent themselves as a luxury hotel, they get 2 stars. No robes, average to poor amenities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear PattyBY,

Thank you for your comments. I would love the opportunity to speak further regarding your reservation. You can contact me directly at sfdiscovery@renaissancehotels.com.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,981)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have been at this hotel multiple times before as it's convenient to business in San Francisco. They get a premium price because it's San Francisco and because they are located on Nob Hill. The staff was very nice and the guest room was good. I did note that the hallway carpets are showing some wear and that the fitness center could have been maintained better (one treadmill not working, no cups and wipes on one day). Also, be prepared for an expensive breakfast. Lastly, if you are a light sleeper, forgo the view and ask for an interior room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Woodstock1968,

Thank you for your comments. I can not wait to share your kind words with our staff. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your room. Thank you for the feedback and sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is in a nice neighborhood, next to a cable car line, within easy - albeit hilly - walking distance of a variety of neighborhoods including North Beach and Chinatown. It's at the top of a hill with some nice views of the San Francisco Bay and Bay Bridge. Our standard room felt fairly spacious and had a refrigerator. The windows are somewhat large and the heating/cooling system was relatively quiet. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was standard, nothing special, but a towel warmer was a nice touch. The decor is a bit mod to the point of being nearly space age and sterile. But there is some cozy seating in the form of wraparound booths in the lobby, and a colorful stained glass dome. Service was friendly and professional. All told, a pretty good value for San Francisco.

Room Tip: The cable cars can be noisy which you may find to be a charming aspect of being in San Francisco. O...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear NorCalifMom,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that your room worked out so well for you. We are very fortunate to be so centrally located in San Francisco and just steps away from accessing all three cable car lines. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel may have been a premium hotel at some point but it isn't any longer. The rooms are in need of updating (extremely old carpet, fixtures, drywall in need of repair) and are extremely small. My room barely fit a queen sized bed; you couldn't even sit at the desk because the chair for the desk bumps into the bed. The internet is $14.95/day (noon to noon even though you can't check in until 3p.m. The hallways look like the ones in the Shining...very long hallways with tacky carpet and nondescript artwork. They obviously don't clean the rooms with any depth here because there was food in my in room refrigerator that had been there for a while. When I asked for someone to come take it out, I was treated like it was my fault that the food was in there!!!! Be aware of the room service...not only do they add a mandatory tip of 18% and put a line for additional tip, there is a $5 delivery fee on top of the food price and CA tax. A kid's grilled cheese and a dessert cost $32. My room had a view of the "courtyard" which means I look out at the roof over the restaurant in the hotel. When I asked if I could get something with a street view, I was told anything higher up than the 2nd floor would cost more and that any outside rooms on my
floor would have constant sound from the street car that goes right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Unless you pay $$$$ to upgrade to a suite, I would avoid this hotel like the plague. If you choose t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Koolchic_1,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a solid choice. Well-located hotel. Room was small, but clean and well-appointed. Very nice workout facility. Lobby a bit odd, but not too bad. Staff was very friendly and professional Price was attractive. I can't say I was excited by the hotel, but it was above average for functionality. And my window opened, which was great.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Gregory M,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and that the amenities within the hotel worked out so well for you. I look forward to sharing your kind words with our staff. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I love San Francisco! We were there this weekend to celebrate my birthday and participate in the Walk for Life event. We stayed at the Renaissance ~ Stanford Court Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a wonderful room with great view of the city and bay (Rm 741), enjoyed breakfasts at the in-house restaurant, and would like to bring attention to two amazing employees that certainly made our stay "exceptional". First, our bus boy (i hate that word, but not sure of his proper title), Solon, was so hospitable, gracious, and provided the best service ever (i looked forward to seeing him every morning and drinking in his positiveness) and Dominic, in Concierage, was terrific. He seemed truly interested in helping us find the perfect seafood restaurant. We used his personal recommendation and had dinner at Hyde Street Seafood Restaurant and we were so pleased ~ it was the perfect place for us. Sometimes it's the "little things" that make your stay so enjoyable and memorable, and I would certain like to THANK Solon & Dominic for hugely contributing to our fantastic stay.

Room Tip: 741 was excellent
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear LoversofGolf,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. I cannot wait to share your kind words with Solon and Dominic. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place in very nice. It is right on the trolley lines. The views are great, the price is pretty good for the location. A real classy place to stay. The trolley lines run late which is nice for getting around but can be a little noise if you have an exterior room.

Room Tip: Ask for a outside room if you want a view, if you want piece and quite ask for a interior room. The...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rudedog67,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and happy to see that the location worked out so well for you. I am sure others will find your review very helpful. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.