“Courtyard Entrance”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The first time my husband and I stayed here on business, I was annoyed at the entrance which looked to me like a side door. Now I like the place, probably because I know what to expect. Arriving is lovely, with the courtyard fountain and doorman to greet us. You don't have to exit the taxi on a busy street. The staff is wonderful: very friendly and eager to be helpful. The dining areas are open and inviting, but the service is slow. The decor is unusual (see photos). There is rarely a wait for an elevator. The best thing about this hotel is the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a window looking toward the TransAmerica tower. Wi-fi is free in the lobby, but ask for help...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear Sherz88,

Thank you for your comments. I can not wait to share your kind words with our staff. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your arrival experience with us. We are fortunate to have our courtyard and to have our doors tucked in and away from the busy streets of San Francisco. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,878)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I didn't know much about this hotel before I booked my reservation, but decided to give it a try based on other reviews. I was not disappointed. The rate was very competitive for SF. I loved the easy access to the cable cars as our office was just down the hill from the hotel. My room was spotless and I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Acorn104,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. We are very fortunate to be centrally located and foot steps away from all three cable car lines. I am happy this worked out for you. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I will begin with the hotel positives. The staff overall was pleasant and the locations was great.

On to the negatives, In all my years of travel, I have to admit that this by far has been the worst 4-star hotel we have every stayed in. The room had visible wear and tear and at best would be a 3 star. Now the bathroom on the other hand was a 1 ½ star at best. The grime and dirt around the door frame was disgusting, a whole through both shower curtains easily two inches in diameter that and house keeper can see and request to have replaced, missing curtain ring on a rusted curtain rod, mildew stains on the bottom edge of the shower curtain, mildew between the tiles, stains on the wallpaper in the vanity area and small items like tissue holder looked like it they were purchased at a scratch and dent sale.

Marriott is usually our first choice and have stayed and numerous properties around the world, but I have to say, that we are truly disappointed and The Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court Hotel has really left a bad taste in our mouth. I cannot believe that I spent my hard earned money on this property.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mbaldriche

Dear MBaldriche,

Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to speak with you on January 23rd regarding your dissapointing stay with us. As I shared with you, I too was very disappointed with the experience that you had and thank you again for sharing your feedback with me. I appreciate your continued loyalty to Marriott and Renaissance and I hope that the Marriott Rewards points will provide you with a wonderful next vacation.

Anne Stiles

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Again a great stay! Thank you Eric Matsui; you are an amazing manager and it reflects in your staff. Everything was perfect from the smiling and helpful valets to the accommodating front desk to the tasty food and great service in the dining room to the beautiful room and comfy bed. Thank you again for a relaxing weekend in the city,

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_REN_SF, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Slolucky,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that Eric and the rest of our staff were so accommodating for you. I can not wait to share your kind words with them. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had a wonderful 5 night stay at the Stanford Renaissance. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a fabulous view east, which allowed us, on east coast time, to experience some lovely sunrises. (Don't worry--the ceiling to floor room-darkening drapes ensure that you only experience the sunrise if you choose to!). The hotel was beautiful, with a great lounge for hanging out (free wifi in lounge, too), and the location, right at the top of Nob Hill, where California St. meets Powell, was terrific--an easy walk to Chinatown, a slightly more challenging (but doable) walk to Fisherman's wharf and North Beach (great Italian food). For those who look at SF's hills and think "walk?!?", no worries--the hotel is located right on one of the major cable car lines, and within easy walking distance to others. There's a bus stop right across the street too (definitely worth it to buy a multi-day MUNI pass and ride the buses, streetcars, and cable cars, btw!).

The hotel was a great place to retreat to after our days of exploring San Francisco's many sights and treasures! Very good restaurants are within walking distance, public transportation (cable cars, etc.) are right outside the door, and there's even a nice little cafe right next door for a light breakfast and morning coffee.

As others have mentioned, because this hotel has windows that open, the noise from the cable cars and street can be a little noisy, but we were not disturbed when sleeping (and I am a light sleeper). Front desk and concierge were always friendly and helpful, and we have a great stay and would love to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Wonderful view on street-facing rooms, but for a quieter experience, you may want to request a court...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Ecargo,

Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to be centrally located in San Francisco and to be able to catch all three cable car lines just footsteps from our door. I can not wait to share your kind words with our staff. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had a lovely weekend here. I was able to walk with light luggage from the BART at the bottom of the hill on Powell Street to the hotel at the top of the hill, but I wouldn't recommend that schlep for everyone. I needed the exercise and it was a beautiful day, but the hills are definitely a workout!

I asked for an inside room to avoid the street noise. The room was quite nice. The only quibble is that the room got light very early and there didn't seem to be any blackout shades or curtain.

Also, I forgot about some things I had read here about credit card charges that did occur to me also. One is the automatic charges for touching items on the minibar, even though I consumed nothing. The other was that the front desk put $100 PER DAY incidentals hold on my card IN ADDITION to the room charges and did not advise me of this. I called the desk when i saw a huge pending hold on my credit card and the smaller charge, so they removed the minibar from my bill. The woman at the desk apologized for the man who checked me not advising me of the $100/day hold plus the room charge but there was nothing else she could or would do.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Miviva,

Thank you for your comments. I would love to opportunity to speak with you further about some of the issues you encountered at our hotel. You can e-mail me directly at sfdicovery@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The rooms were very clean and fresh. We did have to wait in line for check out, but it wasn't such a burden. We were a little lost and were so glad when the front desk printed a city map for us. There are many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Wen H,

Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to be centrally located in San Francisco. I am happy to hear that our staff was so accommodating for you and you were given the proper tools to discover San Francisco. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.