“Wonderful Experience”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nob Hill hotel, next to Mark Hopkins and Top of the Mark. Near Old St. Mary's, the first Cathedral in California. Walking distance to Chinatown. The rooms are really good sized. If you're familiar with hotel rooms in NYC this will seem Mansion-size! Two full/queen beds and two over sized chairs with ottomans and still the room had plenty of space to walk around.Staff and room service are gracious and helpful. Beds were very comfortable. I could hear some hall activity if that is a complaint so be it. But I expect that in a hotel with hundreds of guests.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dalycalifornia
Anne S, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Dalycalifornia,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad to hear that the location of our hotel and the room size worked out so well for you. I will share your kind words with our staff. Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to San Francisco.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,987)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great location at the top of Nob Hill. We booked a suite with a beautiful view of the bay. The staff overwhelmed us with great service. Would stay there again! Loved having late night cocktails at the Top of the Mark right next door....

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie B

Dear Jamie B,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience about your recent stay with us. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I cannot wait to share your kind words with our staff. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Don't try and walk to the hotel from the Bart- especially with your suit cases! You will have to hike a few hills! The Cable car is great for a ride up from Union Square (just expensive $6).
The Bed was very comfortable. Shower had little to no water pressure.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Anne S, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear ABoggermes,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our plush bedding. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you encountered with the water pressure. Thank you again for your feedback and your valuable tips on our public transportation options.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

we were in this hotel for 4 night.
we booked a room with a view however that view was not so good so we asked to change it.
the next day we changed to a room with a view of the harbor, this room was bigger and the view was great.
the staff were very helpful, and the restaurant was ok.
too bad that in the room price there is no breakfast.
the location was really great, very close to all the places we wanted to go. and near there were public transportation.
so would i recommend this hotel. yes very much.

Room Tip: ask to be in the higher rooms with the view to the harbor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Anne S, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear yuvaldy,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience about your recent stay with us. I am proud to work with a helpul staff and was pleased to hear that you were able to obtain a room that you enjoyed for the remainder of your stay! I appreciate your comments on breakfast included in the room rate and I am pleased to share that we do offer a Stay for Breakfast package which includes breakfast for two on select dates. If you should find yourself travelling back to the Bay Area please reach out to me for the availability of this rate and I would be happy to assist. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hadn't stayed in the hotel in years, and now I remember why. Dated, very small rooms. Painfully slow internet service. Stayed here with Priceline -- a fact that the check-in receptionist insisted on announcing to everyone standing nearby, as if I should be ashamed by that fact. Presented my Marriott Rewards card, which produced a new annoncement that "you won't earn anything with this," given the Priceline rate.

Dear flyderdc,

I appreciate you choosing to stay at the Renaissance San Francisco Stanford Court again after a few years, as I know you have many lodging options available to you in San Francisco. I was dissapointed to hear of how you were greeted at the hotel as I can assure you that the Renaissance San Francisco welcomes and appreciates the patronage provided by all of our guests, and especially a Marriott Rewards member such as yourself. I apolgogize that your experience indicated otherwise and thank you for sharing and allowing me the opportunity to address. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and can be contacted at anne.stiles@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

About half a block down from the top of Nob Hill, across the street the street from the (more expensive) Fairmont. Great location with the cable cars right outside your door. Staff works hard from the very cool curb to the front desk and the bellman.

Rooms are a bit small, unless you ask for a corner room, which is about double the size. Watched the first game of the World Series in the hotel bar. Happy Hour is a great deal from 5-7pm with a few local brews and plenty of snacks on the menu.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for one that faces the interior. A room that overlooks the cable car will be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Anne S, Front Office Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear p3mikey,
Thank you for your comments. I am so glad you got to join us for our daily happy hour from 4pm to 7pm. Our new Executive Sous Chef Michael Koenig is a culinary mastermind. From the bacon dusted popcorn to our duck sausage slider it is all amazing. I really appreciate your wonderful feedback and I will share this with our staff. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Very nice hotel. It is on the corner of Powell and California. There are Cable Car lines on both of these streets. CLANG CLANG goes the Cable Car. The block from Pine to California is the steepest street in SF, so you need to be in good physical shape to walk this block. Otherwise you will have to ride the Cable Car or take taxis. The outside of the hotel is beautiful and lobby also. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and modern, but somewhat small. The price was comparable to other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of hotel are quiet but no view.

Dear Monzingo,
Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have the cable cars stop just outside of our hotel. It gives our guest's the option to take on the hills or use public transportation. The views from on top of Nob Hill make the climb worth while. Thank you again for the wonderful feedback and I will share it with our staff. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.