“Great hotel, but not for everyone”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #60 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Waterloo, Iowa
“Great hotel, but not for everyone”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We loved this hotel. The staff is helpful and very friendly. The beds are comfortable and the location is great (but you should note that it is at the top of a very steep hill). We were able to walk to Union Square, Chinatown, and a few restaurants past Chinatown. The view out our window was wonderful: downtown and the bay.

Still, I have a few caveats:
Cable cars pass right by the Stanford Court. If you are on a lower floor, you will hear them all night. We didn't mind, but light sleepers might.

The hotel works mostly with business travelers so they have very few rooms with two beds (as much as the online booking places tell you that they'll get you one of these rooms). They put a very comfortable air mattress in the room for our teenage son, but it did make for a very tight space. If you are traveling with more than 2 people, you should make note of this or be prepared to sleep on an air mattress.

Internet is pricey here, but it is about the same rate in 3 other SF hotels we've been to. We found it cheaper to bring our own mi-fi thing and buy a $50 one month all you can use subscription. It's cheaper than the $15 a day at the local hotels.

The hotel is at the top of a hill. This is not a sissy hill. Seriously. If you are not in the condition to climb a lot of hills or don't want to pay for a taxi, you might want to consider a flatter location. Personally, we loved it, but it can be challenging.

Room Tip: If you really need a room with 2 beds, call the hotel directly. Do NOT rely on the online or phone...
3 Thank fearoheights

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Augusta
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I had read other reviews before booking this hotel, and was expecting a nice stay. At check-in I was informed that I wouldn't be getting the 2 queen beds that I had booked, but 1 queen bed, (due to a third party booking "miscommunication"). After some heated debate, the manager on duty worked out a suitable arrangement for my party. He was very nice and definitely made my stay an enjoyable one. The only disadvantage to this hotel is it's location at the top of a steep hill, be prepared for some cardio training. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and it was delicious! A very pleasant attentive waiter and his suggestions were excellent. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Calabasas, CA
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love this hotel and use it as my primary for all business trips to SF. I'm in SF about three times a year and am disappointed if it is sold out. The location is great for views and its very close to my favorite restaurant, Nob Hill Cafe. Word of caution though. This hotel is at the top of a steep hill and sits above Union Square and the wharfs so be prepared to get some exercise or use a cab. The Powell St. cable car stops right by it as well. You can take BART into Union Square and then walk to Powell St. and catch the cable car. Get off at California St, which is exactly the corner where the hotel sits.
As for the hotel itself, it has a very nice gym complete with free weights and several cardio units. The lounge for Marriott Rewards members is top notch with a killer view. I find the rooms comfortable and decorated with style. Price is about average for SF. I used to stay in the financial district and that's nice as well, but this feels more residential and a little more quiet. The wharf seems more family friendly to me.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a view if you want it. That said, the elevators can be slow if you have higher r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HeathCalabasas_CA
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Our family has relied on the Marriott hotel and vacation club for more than a decade to always provide quality service and SO many wonderful family vacations and weekends! This is the FIRST negative review I've given a Marriott.

This is NOT a family friendly hotel unless your family is traveling with one of you on business and someone else is footing the bill. It is a great hotel for business or event specific stays (i.e. weddings) and the hotel lobby/entrance, etc. is a beautiful. If you are only going to try and see Fisherman's Wharf, ride a cable car, see the edge of Chinatown... this hotel might work for you. If you want to see the rest of San Francisco and you're not driving or planning on taking a Taxi, it is NOT centrally located to anything!! It took two buses and a cable car to get back from Golden Gate Park. You have to get yourself into the central district to get a MUNI pass. (Taxi is about $9 w/no tip)

The rooms are unbelievably small and are not appropriate for a family of 4 or more. Few rooms have a view of anything but the roof. We arrived a few minutes prior to check-in time. It took awhile for them to find us a double bed (what we reserved) and asked my son and I if we could share a KING?! (I'm his mom and he's a teen?!) It was also a problem that my husband made the reservation and wasn't staying with us?! Even though I provided them with MY Marriott reward card for all payment during our stay?! Really?! NEVER heard that before?! What is this 1954?!

There is only one restaurant on location. It is beautiful. However, it took over an hour and a half for my son and I to be seated and served breakfast. Two mornings in a row. It was over $50. For pancakes and coffee. There were so few staff available it left everyone looking stranded with their breakfast dishes and huge bills. Also, there were two receptions hosted in the restaurant/lounge areas of the hotel. We just saw this passing by, but there are no walls, so if there is an event it bleeds over into the dining area. A tad uncomfortable, especially if you have children who need to eat and just did SF all day! I saw one family absolutely miserable and trying to enjoy a dinner (definitely over $100) in a room filled with over 60+standing strangers enjoying cocktails and hors d' oeuvres! Yikes!

Lastly, the area around the hotel is filled with great restaurants! BUT, be prepared to pay more than $28 per entree. If you walk about three blocks in either direction, you'll find more affordable stuff.

If you have a family, choose a Marriott closer to public transport or with cheaper parking rates.

2 Thank 1388mom
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 22, 2012

You can read what everybody else says about this place. One nice feature is ease of entrance. The building is a square doughnut so the center is open. The entrance is not on the street but inside the "doughnut" so you don't have to deal with street traffic.

The staff was good and the view from the outside from rooms facing California was excellent. But what I will always remember about this place is not the good stuff but the fact that they charge $15 daily for Internet usage. We've stayed at places costing only a third as much as this place and they all offered free internet access. Why not Stanford Court?

And many of those lower-priced places also had a free refrigerator (the one in Stanford Court was free but was fully stocked with beer, wine, juice, etc, so you couldn't really put anything of yours into it).

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet get a room on the inside of the "doughnut". If you want great...
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Went to San Fran with my friend’s family. The hotel rooms were small but great. It was on top of a huge hill. Knob hill. It was fun walking down to shops and restaurants. But it was a workout getting back to the hotel because we had to climb up the huge hill that we went down to get to the shops. I think this is unavoidable in San Fran. There r hills everywhere! It was a good butt workout! My tushy was sore for a couple days after the trip… but firm! Lol (Pun intended). We didn’t eat much at the hotel except breakfast. It was yummy. They had some tasty sausage. I think it was chicken sausage. Not sure. It was a real classy place and I’d luv to go again. The front desk people were nice too. It was pretty much close to everything we wanted to do. Even got on a trolley! But bring a jacket cuz it actually gets cold when riding on those things unless u have someone in front of you stopping the wind from hitting you. I’d go back in a heartbeat. So if anyone has room in their luggage for me, let me know lol!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elisa B
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Great location in Nob Hill. Great restaurant in the hotel and other great restaurants nearby. Also, on two cable car lines and a quick (albeit very steep) walk to Chinatown. The room was very spacious and the meeting facilities were quite well appointed, too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business