“lovely old hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston,Texas
“lovely old hotel”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I picked the Stanford Court based on location and trip advisor reviews. I was very glad that I stayed here. It is an old hotel that has been updated. Housekeeping, reception, doormen and bartender were all very polite, friendly. It is very quiet. Our king room was a little small but not European small. Nice amenities, spotlessly clean rooms, quiet bar, comfortable beds, Aveda products. The only negatives are a $14.95 per day internet charge (other Marriott properties are usually free) and no gift/convenience store. Reception sells bus/cable car passes which are a great way to get around without needing exact fares. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We're East Coasters, so traveling to the West Coast is a big event. We were also traveling with 2 teenagers (13 and 14), so we needed to satisfy the teenage quotient as well. Our stay in San Francisco at the Stanford Court met all of my expectations.

Our "California Adventure" started by landing in SF, picking up a car and proceeding to Yosemite, then heading to Monterey and finally ending in SF. We decided to spend 4 days in the city and I wanted a good central location to call "Home."

I was initially concerned about location. I wanted to be in a good neighborhood, near to transportation and close to the things that I wanted to do. I was dropping off my rental car after we arrived as I did not want the expense of paying the extremely expensive rates to park a car. I looked at lots of Trip Advisors and settled in on the Stanford.

This location is tough to beat. It sit on Top of Nob Hill, has a cable car stop for 2 different lines right in front of the hotel and if you are so inclined, is a close walk to China Town as well as Union Square (it's easier to catch the cable car though).

Since we were traveling as a family of 4, we needed a room with 2 beds. I knew that the Stanford offered rooms with 2 queen beds, so I made this request on our reservation. I called a day prior to our arrival to ensure that we would have a 2 queen bed room. When we arrived, we were assigned an Inside room with 2 queen beds. My kids were uncertain if an inside room was for them, but after seeing the room, they were fine. Our inside room was quite spacious, had 2 windows which overlooked an inside courtyard, 2 large chairs, a desk and our room had a separate bathroom and sink area that was closed off with a door. In this same area, we had ample storage room for a couple of suitcases and all of our hanging clothes. This is an older hotel hat has been recently renovated with modern accommodations. This is not an old and worn hotel. The property has character and is well maintained. Basically, the Stanford fit us very well.

Our room was very clean, which is a critical point, and we had no complains with any of the hotel services. Each hotel staff member that we encountered was pleasant and said hello. We even got to know a few on a first name basis.

The Bell Staff was pleasant and helpful with directions. The Concierge Staff offered excellent choices for dinner. The Front Desk Staff was efficient and professional.

Our 4 day stay in the city was enjoyable by all standards. A few personal recommendations regarding San Francisco: I see no need to drive a car in the city. I am glad that I did not have the worry of a car as driving the hills is an adventure and parking could be problematic. Looking down any of the hills in the city will immediately confirm that a car is not necessary. I would highly recommend purchasing a 3 day cable car/bus/trolley/subway (not Bart) pass from the front desk (I believe $18 for 3 days) - yes, the front desk sells these passes. The cable car stop is directly in front of the hotel, so it is extremely convenient. I believe that a single ride on the cable car is $6 as well, so this pass is a real bargain. Having the added bus and subway pass also helped in getting around the city.

We started our first day in the city by taking a guided tour bus of the city. We picked up the tour in Union Square and the bus drives a loop through, and stops at, all of the well-known San Francisco landmarks - Fisherman's Wharf, Presido (Disney museum), Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Haight-Asbury, Painted Ladies, Financial District, etc. The Hotel Concierge made recommendations on which tour company to take (it was not a Gray Line Tour). Our tour served as a good introduction to the city and gave us an idea of what we wanted to see and of where we wanted to go.

Union Square is several block down the hill and offers a wide array of upscale shopping and restaurant choices. There's a Starbucks on the corner between Union Square and the hotel that offers a good array of breakfast choices and drinks. There's also a CVS Drugstore right across the street from Starbucks to load up on any snacks too. This area was very active, and safe, into the early evening with lots of stores remaining open and people walking about.

Chinatown is 2 blocks down the hill (in the other direction) and offers some fun cheap shopping and dining options (the Concierge was able to recommend an excellent Chinese restaurant). We felt completely safe in Chinatown even after dark as there are lots of people walking the streets. Fisherman's Wharf is no more than 10 minutes on the cable car down the hill. I am personally glad that I did not make the choice to stay down in the Fisherman's Wharf area - it's a great place to spend a couple of hours, but the vibe is the area is not as pleasant as in Nob Hill, or at the Stanford.

While at Fisherman's Wharf, stop to see the sea lions on the pier as well as make time for some Boudin Sourdough at their Bread factory (go to their factory along Fisherman's Wharf and not just to a Boudin Bread Store). You can get a decent lunch there as well. Definitely take in the Alcatraz Tour and order your tickets as far in advance as you can from alcatrazcruises.com (they are the only vendor to and from the island, so there is no need to shop prices). I saw people being turned away at the dock who expected to walk up to purchase a ticket. Ghiradelli Square is close to FW, but not worth a special trip unless you have time to spend. The Ghiradelli Chocolate store is there and they provide a free sample of their chocolate, but overall, the store is quite small, crowded and expensive. It's also not a good place to try to catch a cable car as the lines are very long.

if you have the time and are a sports fan, I would strongly recommend catching a Giant baseball game. We attended an afternoon game and AT&T Park is beautiful. I highly advise that you obtain tickets prior to getting to SF as good seats are difficult to come by and can be expensive. I arranged for tickets several weeks prior to our arrival and I was surprised on how difficult a good ticket, at any price, was to obtain.

Overall, San Francisco is a wonderful touring city and The Stanford Court was an excellent hotel choice. The hotel receives my high marks for comfort and service. I think what's best about The Stanford Court is its location; this hotel a real hidden gem.

Room Tip: Call a day ahead of your arrival to confirm your room type and location preference.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Hohja_md
Utah
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is a great, modern feel type of hotel. Great location with the trolley right outside. Also rather noisy at times. Our room was adjacent to the roof of another building with a horribly noisy air conditioning unit on top. It is a Marriott property so we expect and have always received nothing but the best in consitency with them. All in all, a good hotel for the money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank moneywonder
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel has great rooms that are up to date. A little on the small side though as it also just fits a desk/chair and then a chair for lounging. Typical for SF though. Aveda products in the bathroom were nice. comfy beds and a flat screen tv. The trolleys run just outside which might be helpful if you need one. We did not face the street so can not say if you can bear from the rooms

Front desk and concierge were nice and helpful. It is $14 for a shuttle to SFO, which they can set up for you. You pay $5 upfront and the rest to the driver.

Pretty close to Union Square but it's at the top of a very steep hill! We had a drink in the bar and it was nice. We had more fun going to the Tonga Room across the street where they have tropical drinks and a rain show that goes off every 30min or so. Then the Top of the Mark is down the block too and has great views of the city.

It was a short trip for us but we enjoyed the city and would stay here again definitely

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ts_kc
County Durham England
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A lovely hotel in a really nice part of town. Our room was large and comfortable and very clean. The staff at reception were really friendly and efficient and check in was quick and easy.
We thought the bar prices were a bit expensive and cannot comment on the restaurant as we ate out each night. Try the Cheesecake factory for quality or if you just want quick good food try Tads, both close by.
Beware of parking charges! - the valet service was fast and friendly but it cost around $50 per day!
Colin & Catherine Grainger

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank weekend-explorers
Fort Worth Tx
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We used our Marriott points to stay here during out trip to San Francisco. We were immediately upgraded for free to a studio suite on the top floor without asking. The view was out of this world. You can see the bay bridge and beautiful skyline. We ordered room service for dinner and breakfast and everything was delicious! The hotel is right next to the fairmont hotel where the rooms cost 5x the amount but you still get the same great location and service for better value! There is a cable car stop right outside the hotel. Such a great and convenient location. The Decor was fresh and modern. The beds were super comfortable. Everything was top notch in my book. Aveda products are used here! Highly recommend this hotel. No negatives!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank ashleighjustine
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Stanford Court for 2 nights this past week. I booked the room through Priceline for $164/night, a very good price for a 4 star hotel in Nob Hill. Once we got there, we upgraded to a "suite," which wasn't really a suite but rather 2 adjoining rooms, one of which had a bed and the other of which was furnished as a living room (never checked to see if the couch pulled out into a bed). This cost us an additional $100/night. What we had not factored into our hotel costs was the parking fee of $58.14/night ($51/night plus $7.14 tax/night). Internet is also not thrown in as an amenity so that was an additional $14.95/night. Even that was spotty, kicking us off for quite a long time during a crucial telephone call. So all told, our 2 nights cost us right around $800 with all the taxes and fees. Slightly more than I was hoping to spend on a room.

That being said, my husband and I enjoyed our time at the hotel. The room was nice, quiet, and spacious (with the extra living room area), but not "must stay in the room all day" nice. The location was superb with so many great locales (Chinatown, the Embarcadero area, and Union Square) within walking distance (though there is a significant uphill walk back to the hotel from nearly every direction).

We had a good stay at the Stanford Court, but given the price and the total lack of amenities you could find at any chain hotel, we will look for another place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family