“Tasty Egg Tarts - If Open - Overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Gate Bakery

Golden Gate Bakery
Ranked #48 of 133 Bakeries in San Francisco
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Chinatown
San Francisco, California
“Tasty Egg Tarts - If Open - Overpriced”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Golden Gate Bakery has gained a lot of tourist momentum - usually there is a massive line waiting outside to get an Egg Tart. I've tried it and it's good, don't get me wrong, but also the most expensive in Chinatown. I'd recommend trying other places as the quality is just as good (as long as they're hot!), but for much less in cost and without the long line.

TIP: they frequently take vacations so you may want to check if they're even open. They take trips for 2 weeks at a time.

Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
“Oh my...eggtart”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I relied on Yelp for good bakeries around Chinatown-San Francisco area and was not disappointed. Eggtart wasn't my top 5 desserts but since I was there, I had to try it and it was delicious! It was piping hot too so be careful...The crush was flaky and the inside was soft and buttery. I got 2 to go...for myself. Can't beat the cheap price either. No wonder there's a line, even at 6pm...

Visited April 2014
“Must stop bye for egg tart - Cash Only!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

We read about the Golden Gate Bakery before visiting San Francisco and are glad we stoped not only for an egg tart but also for other sweet and spicy specialties. Basically 1 of each untill we ran out of cash... YUMMY! So happy we did!

Houston, Texas
“Did live up to the hype”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

So I read all the reviews on this bakery and had to stop by for their egg tart and the almond cookies. Mind you, I had stopped by another bakery the night before in chinatown, mostly because I was lost. So I finally get to Golden Gate Bakery and I was a bit disappointed. The egg tart was nice, but nothing fantastic. The cookies were, well, they were just plain cookies. As a matter of fact I thought the previous bakery was better and definitely cheaper than GGB. I do blame myself for believing all the hype... Overall, it was an average bakery.

• Visited April 2014
Penticton, Canada
“If egg tarts (aka Dan Tat) are your thing”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We were wandering around Chinatown and a man walked by us with a pink bakery box with yummy smells wafting out of it. We didn't think much about it until we stumbled upon a line up going 1/2 way down the block! We couldn't even see into the bakery due to the crowd so we had no idea what we spontaneously decided to jump in line for but we're always up for a culinary adventure!

We're glad that we did as the egg tarts were melt in your mouth yumminess! The custard was actually still warm from the oven and the shell just flaked apart at first bite. We also took with us (and enjoyed) a decadent moon cake (2 yolks, lotus), peanut & macadamia coconut balls and a sesame ball with red bean paste. All were delicious.

Although I grew up with egg tarts, I never liked them until I had one from this bakery! You definitely want to have a napkin or even your hand under the tart when you bite into it or risk losing half of it onto the sidewalk!

It's literally a hole in the wall that's easy to miss if not for the line up. The women who run it are ruthlessly efficient in an old school way which only adds to the authentic San Francisco experience. Also, you can't take photos inside the shop (not that there's room to maneuver or anything crazy to take a photo of). Prices were comparable to other bakeries.

• Visited March 2014