“It's all about the ramen”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Katana-ya

Katana-ya
Ranked #590 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Union Square
Derby, United Kingdom
“It's all about the ramen”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had to queue outside the restaurant for around 20 minutes but it is worth the wait.

My wife and I both ordered ramen as it is what everybody raves about. This was the right choice. My katana-ya special ramen was great as it had a good selection of meat in it and the wife's deep dried chicken ramen was good also.

You may be tempted to order appetisers but I would say order your ramen first and see if you have room for more afterwards. The ramen bowls are huge and I saw a couple of bowls go unfinished from people who ordered sushi for starters.

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
“Don't understand why there're always big line-ups for this joint.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This little Japanese eatery was right across the street of the hotel we were staying at. We kept noticing the big line-ups until very late into the night whenever we walked by. So one night, my boyfriend and I decided to try it out.... and we were quite disappointed. First of all, being from Vancouver where there are a lot of GREAT sushi places. I think we have some knowledge of sushi. The sushi rice of this eatery was very very sticky and chewy. After eating about 5 - 6 pieces of them, my jaw was actually sore. I only had about half of the sushi I ordered. My boyfriend had a house special ramen (which we have a lot in Vancouver as well) that was equally disappointing. We visited the Japan town/centre a day later and there were way better and more choices there. If you want good Japanese food in SF, maybe you should consider just going to Japan town.

• Visited October 2013
Saskatoon, Canada
“Good ramen and cozy atmosphere!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Good and friendly service, reasonably priced and busy local ambiance. Enjoyed the soy regular ramen.

Visited October 2013
“Ramen...ramen...ramen!!!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Small but quaint restaurant (like most SF restaurant). Excellent ramen. Friendly staffs, efficient and quick service. If you enjoy ramen, I'd definitely suggest that you stop by to slurp up a big bowl of their ramen!

“Huge selection!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I came here with friends around 10:30pm and was amazed by the menu. They have so much to offer! I ordered the Katanaya ramen since it sounded like their signature dish and it had so much for $12. It had lots of veggies and fried chicken and sliced tender pork. Not bad. I also ordered yakitori and yellowtail sashimi and tuna poke (they spell it poki). The sashimi was ok but didn't taste super fresh. But the poke was delicious and had really good sauce. The only bad thing is if you're super hungry and order a lot like I did, it will add up to a huge bill =D

• Visited October 2013