“A Great Ramen Store Near Union Square”
Review of Katana-ya

Katana-ya
Ranked #420 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: Union Square
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had lunch at small Katana-Ya which is located just one block away from our hotel Villa Florence, and one block from Union square on Geary, very convenient. Ramens, our favorites, are very tasted and “large”. Not expensive though (around $15). Sake, nor icy or hot, is decent. Nice place to visit. (We had visited this store several times, all had good experience.)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Katana-Ya Ramen!! We returned home to SF from Europe after a very, very long day of travel that included lost luggage. My fiancé suggested Katana-Ya, and noodles sounded perfect. We were seated promptly and delivered hot tea almost immediately. Our waitress was helpful and sweet. We ordered two bowls of ramen (BBQ Pork for him, and Katana-Ya with soba for me, miso broth for both), and an eel roll.

I am not an expert on Japanese noodles, but this particular bowl of food was heaven. There was a bit of everything garnishing my noodles. The pork was flavorful and tender. The sushi was fine, not amazing, but I'd have to go again to judge fairly.

It is entirely possible that my judgment was clouded by fatigue, but I plan on making this a regular dining occurrence. We were in and out for under $30, too!!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was a great little restaurant. Even though there was a line, it moved quickly. Beware of the prices. One bowl of the Ramen was more than enough to be filling. Appetizers and add-ons can really add up in the price. I had the Katanaya Ramen, and this had a bit of everything. It was delicious. Order that with water and go get dessert somewhere else.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

There is a dish here that I love (You will have to find your own!), and I try to come to Katana-ya every time I am in San Francisco.

Of course, the problem is getting in, since there is a line outside every evening. So I hate to praise the place, and make the line even longer. But fair is fair. The food is top-notch (of its kind), and the prices are modest.

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I was staying at the Westin St. Francis hotel and was looking for a place within walking distance. I came upon Katana-ya and saw quite a few people waiting outside. Good sign.

It's tiny place (hence the wait outside) but once you get a seat, the enjoyment begins. I had the Katanya ramen with rich Miao broth. Good taste, not salty at all, and the noodles had good texture.

If you haven't experienced real Japanese ramen, this place is a treat if you can get in.