“Hidden gem! ”

Ranked #61 of 218 Quick Bites in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were specifically looking for French pastries in San Francisco and this place definitely doesn’t disappoint! It is the closest you can find to truly French recipes! We spent 4 days in San Francisco and had breakfast here 3 times. I only regret we found this gem on the second day :)

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed November 29, 2018

Every pastry they create here is great! I came back from Paris and tried Arsicault (didn't have time to try it before I left for Paris) and anything I tried was on point -- plain, almond, chocolate or ham & cheese croissant, kougn amann, chocolate chip cookies, shortbread, etc. You will not be disappointed. Only drawback is the limit on what you can buy because it is a small bakery.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 11, 2018 via mobile

Limited menu but everything was excellent.

Only in America could a Frenchman (and food lover) become a mutual fund then become a successful baker and business owner.

We got one of everything (see the menu photo) with no disappointments and several reorders.

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank MeanUncle
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

I had this place bookmarked even before they were featured in Bon Appetit magazine. You read this correctly! I learned it from my little sister when arriving at her home. She got so excited after seeing the Arsicault Bakery sticker on our bag of goodies! She has also been wanting to visit this little bakery. Bon Appetit named them the best new bakery in 2016. After visiting them, I now know why.

We got so lucky!!! Found them easily enough after exploring the Golden Gate Bridge. They are known for having long lines after being featured in the magazine. There were only a few folks waiting when we passed by. Found parking right around the corner!! Got in line and waited only 10 minutes before it was our turn.

I expected to see display cases filled with goodies. Boy, was I wrong. There was no display case. Just a couple of trays that were half full. Each person could purchase a total of 6 items, but only 2 each of one item. For example, each person could only buy 2 croissants.

My wife and I ordered separately so this is what we tried.

Kouign Amann. Been craving this delicacy since I first tried them at a place in Vegas. Not many places make this special treat. Arsicault's version was almost as yummy, but not quite. (4 stars)

Croissant. I am usually not a fan of plain croissants, but theirs were almost as delicious as the ones I've tried in Europe! Scrumptious! (4.5 stars)

Chocolate Croissant. Without a doubt, this treat was one of the best (if not the best) chocolate croissants that I have ever eaten!! (5 stars)

Chocolate Almond Croissant. My ultimate favorite kind of croissant that has ever entered my stomach!! It was like eating a piece of happiness with every delicious bite!! A party for my tastebuds!! Can I give it more than 5 stars? (5+ Stars!!)

Everyone loved the goodies we brought back from Arsicault Bakery! No one was disappointed! So very happy that our super sky high expectations were met. Bravo!!

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed August 25, 2018

Having passed by this tiny patisserie many times and being discouraged by the outrageous queues I finally got an opportunity to try a couple of their pastries. Btw, I found parking luckily a long block away. And I visited about 11:15 am after doing some labs at a nearby hospital.

They do not offer too many selections and because it's a tiny storefront (though there is seating available in an alcove) you pop in and need to make your selection immediately. I decided to pass on the regular croissant although they looked really lovely. Instead I ordered three almond croissants and one kouign amann and a small coffee.

The almond croissants were more longish in shape than the plain croissants, and they were dusted in powdered sugar. I was really excited to try one and did that in the car after I returned. Well, I was disappointed. While the ends were definitely flaky as a croissant ought to be the rest of it was not only dense but extremely too sweet. I can't imagine what the chocolate almond croissant would taste like other than overpowering sweetness. The kouign amann I gave my son to taste, and he said it was fine.

All in all, I believe the queues are due to the Bon Appetit 'best bakery in the US' proclamation mostly. I'm sure the plain croissant would be more to the texture I like and expect croissants to be. But surely, for me at least, the almond croissant was not that good; I have tasted better and from nondescript bakeries too. Even in France the almond croissant is not dusted in powdered sugar, is a true crescent shape, and is not overdone in sweetness.

Service was a bit unfriendly by the middle aged woman taking orders. But the young man at the till was very welcoming.

As for value the croissants are $5.25 each. Not even in France did I ever pay anything close to this much!

Date of visit: August 2018