TripAdvisor
San Francisco
Post
Inbox
Search

“Good but not 'the best in the country'”
Review of Arsicault Bakery

Arsicault Bakery
Ranked #45 of 318 Quick Bites in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Reviewed August 25, 2018

Having passed by this tiny patisserie many times and being discouraged by the outrageous queues I finally got an opportunity to try a couple of their pastries. Btw, I found parking luckily a long block away. And I visited about 11:15 am after doing some labs at a nearby hospital.

They do not offer too many selections and because it's a tiny storefront (though there is seating available in an alcove) you pop in and need to make your selection immediately. I decided to pass on the regular croissant although they looked really lovely. Instead I ordered three almond croissants and one kouign amann and a small coffee.

The almond croissants were more longish in shape than the plain croissants, and they were dusted in powdered sugar. I was really excited to try one and did that in the car after I returned. Well, I was disappointed. While the ends were definitely flaky as a croissant ought to be the rest of it was not only dense but extremely too sweet. I can't imagine what the chocolate almond croissant would taste like other than overpowering sweetness. The kouign amann I gave my son to taste, and he said it was fine.

All in all, I believe the queues are due to the Bon Appetit 'best bakery in the US' proclamation mostly. I'm sure the plain croissant would be more to the texture I like and expect croissants to be. But surely, for me at least, the almond croissant was not that good; I have tasted better and from nondescript bakeries too. Even in France the almond croissant is not dusted in powdered sugar, is a true crescent shape, and is not overdone in sweetness.

Service was a bit unfriendly by the middle aged woman taking orders. But the young man at the till was very welcoming.

As for value the croissants are $5.25 each. Not even in France did I ever pay anything close to this much!

Date of visit: August 2018
Write a reviewReviews (77)

Reviewed July 30, 2018

Arsicault is the best bakery in San Francisco. Small, quaint, and with a neighborly feel to it, the bakery produces numerous products every morning with the shortbread cookies and croissants being the stars of the show. Staff is friendly but obviously very busy with lines stretching down the block. The dining room is small with only a few tables but the décor is nice and seats on a balcony overlooking all the delicious baked goods being sold. Be ready for the line, have a conversation with some locals and, when its your time to order, go for broke and order as much as your heart desires.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed July 2, 2018

First of all, if you don't like sweet things then 1) why are you eating here and 2) why are you writing a negative review? The main ingredients are sugar and butter. Their chocolate croissant was the best I've ever had. My boyfriend said these croissants are on par with those he has had in France! If you want a great pastry, this is it!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

I will travel miles for a croissant from here. Yes, the line gets long and it's not cheap, but it's so so worth it. They only have a few pastries on offer but they are all glorious. The winner is the chocolate almond croissant, in my opinion. The perfect mix of flaky and buttery and the fillings are so indulgent with a rich almond paste and a dark Swiss style chocolate spread.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed May 29, 2018

Amazing bakery!!! Have tried Arsicault goodies many times but never made it to the store itself.

Their croissants are definitely the best! Rich and delicious :) Have tried their plain croissants, chocolate croissants and my favorite the custard chocolate filled croissant - so indulging! Their butter cookies are delicious too.

Can't wait to visit the store and try more from their menu! Highly recommend!

Date of visit: May 2018