“Excellent Croissant But Looong Looong Line”
Review of Arsicault Bakery

Arsicault Bakery
Ranked #37 of 272 Quick Bites in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Reviewed August 27, 2016

This bakery was rated by a major magazine as the best new bakery in the U.S. Don't know if this is true but they do bake an excellent croissant, especially the ham & cheese croissant. But the wait to get into the store is way too line primarily because the kitchen is too small and they cannot keep up with the demand. So the owners decided to limit the number of items each customer could purchase which is 4 per person as of this writing. But even doing this, they still run out of items and cannot keep up with the demands hence the line is long and the wait is even longer. If you have the time, by all means give this place a try, especially their ham & cheese croissant. If you cannot wait, try B Patissarie on California & Divisidero. Their plain croissant is just as good but their ham & cheese takes a close second to Arsicault's.

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (77)

Reviewed August 11, 2016

So yesterday I came across this Bon Appetit magazine article naming a small French "Arsicault Bakery" on Arguello Street as the Bakery of the Year 2016 in the whole US of A. Really? That's just 10 minutes from me on a traffic-free morning (an oxymoron, of course, in San Francisco). But, I digress. So, in the interest of pure foodie journalistic intent, off I drove this foggy morning to this place crossing Clement. There was a line. I stood patiently for half an hour. There was nothing on the counter. But you could smell the wicked waft of something cooking in the oven out back. People on the line were paying in advance for croissants that were still baking (ridiculous, right?) for another 25 minutes. What? But, lucky me. Just as it was my turn, out came this huge tray of fresh baked chocolate croissants. I quickly said - give me a box of that (to the dismay of folks behind me!). And, I'll take that one almond croissant that hasn't been prepaid, too. So, yes, thank you Bon Appetit! Short of flying to Paris and having the best croissants at the Ritz, I am in super flaky delicious fresh-baked croissant heaven. I echo SF Food Critic Patricia Unterman's delight, "where have you been all my life?" And, now you know, I'll be back!!!

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed August 3, 2016

We have traveled a lot, including France, and have eaten many very tasty croissants. The ones at Arsicault are the best we've ever had. Super light, super flaky, super crisp on the outside. The chocolate croissants are to die for. People come from miles around to get them. Can't say enough good about them- and the owner and staff are super friendly. The other must try pastry is the Kouin Aman (pronounced "queen aman"). Imagine a croissant, sliced, topped with butter and sugar and baked. Very decedant and delicious. Never had one before- they are superb.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

I don't know how he does it, but Armando (the owner and baker) will make you believe you are in Paris with these scrumptious delights.

The bakery is small and the selection limited, but if you want to know what a croissant, an almond croissant or a kouign aman are supposed to taste like, head over to this little gem in the inner Richmond.

And don't get me atarted on the lemon tarts!

C'est magnifique !

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed June 13, 2016

Small bakery with amazing croissants. Their Almond croissant is my favorite but the other choices, like plain, chocolate, and ham and cheese. The staff is friendly and there is a small area for indoor and outdoor seating.

Date of visit: June 2016