“Croissant heaven!”

Ranked #50 of 215 Quick Bites in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Neighborhood: Richmond District
Reviewed August 11, 2016

So yesterday I came across this Bon Appetit magazine article naming a small French "Arsicault Bakery" on Arguello Street as the Bakery of the Year 2016 in the whole US of A. Really? That's just 10 minutes from me on a traffic-free morning (an oxymoron, of course, in San Francisco). But, I digress. So, in the interest of pure foodie journalistic intent, off I drove this foggy morning to this place crossing Clement. There was a line. I stood patiently for half an hour. There was nothing on the counter. But you could smell the wicked waft of something cooking in the oven out back. People on the line were paying in advance for croissants that were still baking (ridiculous, right?) for another 25 minutes. What? But, lucky me. Just as it was my turn, out came this huge tray of fresh baked chocolate croissants. I quickly said - give me a box of that (to the dismay of folks behind me!). And, I'll take that one almond croissant that hasn't been prepaid, too. So, yes, thank you Bon Appetit! Short of flying to Paris and having the best croissants at the Ritz, I am in super flaky delicious fresh-baked croissant heaven. I echo SF Food Critic Patricia Unterman's delight, "where have you been all my life?" And, now you know, I'll be back!!!

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (76)

Reviewed August 3, 2016

We have traveled a lot, including France, and have eaten many very tasty croissants. The ones at Arsicault are the best we've ever had. Super light, super flaky, super crisp on the outside. The chocolate croissants are to die for. People come from miles around to get them. Can't say enough good about them- and the owner and staff are super friendly. The other must try pastry is the Kouin Aman (pronounced "queen aman"). Imagine a croissant, sliced, topped with butter and sugar and baked. Very decedant and delicious. Never had one before- they are superb.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

I don't know how he does it, but Armando (the owner and baker) will make you believe you are in Paris with these scrumptious delights.

The bakery is small and the selection limited, but if you want to know what a croissant, an almond croissant or a kouign aman are supposed to taste like, head over to this little gem in the inner Richmond.

And don't get me atarted on the lemon tarts!

C'est magnifique !

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed June 13, 2016

Small bakery with amazing croissants. Their Almond croissant is my favorite but the other choices, like plain, chocolate, and ham and cheese. The staff is friendly and there is a small area for indoor and outdoor seating.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed June 2, 2016

I kept hearing about this Arsicault Bakery and saw someone beaming as they took a loved one croissants to go. I had to wonder - really? is it really that good?! And the answer is Yes. It's such a treat. I try to justify getting a couple of them - such as the almond and the ham and cheese. Good to share. Yes - sometimes there is a line and they have to make a second batch immediately -Its worth it so just hold tight.

Date of visit: May 2016