“Great dining experience”
Review of Al’s Place

Al’s Place
Reserve with OpenTable
Al’s Place is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #434 of 6,265 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Mission District
Neighborhood: Mission District
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

The food is interesting and the service is great. Warning the patio seating is on the street sidewalk but still good. Lots of interesting choices and the staff is helpful. The wines are pricey and not your typical choices. It is a casual upscale culinary experience.

Reviewed August 31, 2018 via mobile

We had a fantastic meal at Al's Place. The food is really clever and tasty. We had about six different things and everything was exceptional. It all looks beautiful but this is not at all style over content, it all tasted great as well.

It's a busy place and so definitely book if you want to be sure of a table.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

My partner and I visited this place as our 'fancy' night out on a recent USA trip; what a disappointment. We have been lucky enough to eat in some amazing restaurants over the years, from one to three Michelin stars, to just those that don't have 'recognition' but still serve amazing food. Al's place in no way justifies it's star.

The price was OK, I will give it that, and the service was excellent. But that is about as far as I can go with the positives. The food was often over salted - especially some of the salads, and the starter nibbles (we had the tasting menu) were rather bland, and in the case of the fries tasted under cooked. The non 'salady' courses were nice enough, but nothing to write home about, though actually the desert was lovely, but in no way redeemed the rest of the meal.

If you are thinking about heading here for a Michelin star experience, my advice is don't. There will definitely be better restaurants in San Fran.

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Was in SF for work, so got to expense out meal. That said, I would recommend the tasting menu (called ‘family style’) for a great selection of what the chef has to offer.

Wine selection is limited, but OK. Great service, great vibe. Highly recommend.

Reviewed July 31, 2018

While visiting SF last week one of my partner's friend recommended this place as very unique and delicious, so we went there. If you have a party of 6 or more they will only serve you the family style dinner for $75 per person, so we got that. there were like 10-12 course where they were bringing the plates without serving utensils, they expected us to take the food with our utensils after they have been in our mouths, kind of disgusting, that killed my appetite right away. The courses were predominantly salads with different decorations and sauces, nothing to wow us, in one course the server suggested to grab and eat the salad with our hands, I didn't expect that suggestion from a Michelin star rated restaurant. We got 3 courses with proteins, fish, meat and chicken, nothing extraordinary. The food was bland, salty, and overpriced, I don't have to mention that we were very disapointed. Expect to pay around $180 per person if you get the family style, one alcoholic drink, taxes and tip. It is really not worthy. I forgot to mention that they only serve the drinks of their menu, if you want a gin and tonic they won't make it, the server didn't explain why not.

1  Thank betousa428