“Fine for one night”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, UK
“Fine for one night”
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed in the Stanyan Park Hotel on the last night of our trip to SF and had had trouble finding anywhere because of it being a Friday night.

The hotel is OK - the descriptions talk about it being refurbished which is fine if you like the idea of a faded 1950s B&B refurbishment with lots of pink and chintz.. I actually found it quite depressing and reminded me of too many faded British seaside hotels.

We had a room that was "internal" so we had one very small window in the bedroom that looked out onto an internal shaft (I think it was room 103?) and the window in the bathroom (which was huge and lovely by the way!) looked directly into the room next door and we could hear everything they were saying. I have to say that their room looked a lot better than ours with a lovely big window and lots of space. Ours was a little dismal and depressing so maybe we were just unfortunate but worth bearing in mind for anyone wanting to book here.

The reception staff were pleasant enough but not quite as ebulliently helpful as the experiences we had had elsewhere in California.

At least the price included breakfast which made it a little more bearable. The breakfast was plentiful if a little basic.

The situation of the hotel is great if you want to visit the Golden Gate Park as it is right near the entrance but it is a little out of the way for other attractions (though there is a great bus service that gets you into the centre within about 15 minutes).

Would I stay there again? No but that doesn't mean that it might not appeal to other people!

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Lesley39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz area CA
Reviewed September 7, 2007

I waited till the very day of travel when a massive musical event was planned in Golden Gate Park; still they were extremely accomodating & tried to save me their last room - I explained my situation that an out-of-the area friend invited me at the last minute; with the Bay Bridge closed that weekend I'd never have made it to the event without their consideration & accomodations.
They let my 15 year old stay free - I felt pretty safe in the area despite my 11:00 p.m. arrival on a Sat. night. Managed to park right on the street next to the hotel, and there was a pizza eatery nearby very conveniently.
Beds exceptionally comfortable, bathroom & room impeccably clean - had a very quiet inside room - free internet downstairs & continental breakfast. Breakfast could be slightly expanded upon; but at least we were full & got no decent meal during the musical event (all day) but remained full enough from the eggs, etc.
Staff extremely friendly - very very helpful and concerned; most reassuring. A small and charming Queen Anne Victorian totally refurbushed - very atmospheric. A Wonderful Change from Mega Hotels w/zero personality in some cases.
Prior remarks true that this is like living in the City (which I did years ago) instead of stopping at a big hotel like a tourista.
A nice touch - if I'd have had more time to spend I am sure I would have loved resting in the cozy, decorative room.

Do give Stanyan Park a try - it's convenient if you're going to the locations near Golden Gate Park, and a wonderful respite from Big City Life!
Very beautiful & historic building, plus gracious service here.

• Liked — Superior old San Francisco atmosphere w/modern touches - super helpful staff
  • Disliked — no pool but that was expected in an old Victorian!!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank chechina
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 13, 2007

If you'd like to avoid the pack of Union Square hotels and don't mind being away from downtown, this is a good option. In a converted Victorian building across from the park, it's a quiet, relaxed, friendly place. It's not the W--if you need granite bathrooms and turndown service, you'll probably be disappointed--but it's a notch above the Holiday Inn rank and has a lot more character. The complimentary breakfast and wifi access are nice additions, and the staff was uniformly helpful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms underheated
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank Denizen
Oroville, California
Reviewed January 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as it was close to UCSF. Overall we had a good stay and I think we would return if need be.

Each afternoon coffee, tea and cookies are put out in a community sitting area with tables and chairs. To-go cups were also provided if you preferred to take a drink back to your room or out with you. There is also a breakfast in the morning but we didn't go in for that.

Our room seemed small for the price - but it was clean, the furniture seemed "newer" and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom floor was a bit dingy looking - in need of a good scrub down. But aside from that the bathroom was ok. We had a hard time regulating the base board heater, being able to keep the room at a constant, comfortable temperature - but it did heat up quickly. Our room was quiet but a bit on the dark side.

Parking was not onsite - it was across the street and down a little. The parking rates seemed comparable to other places in the area - a flat daily rate or by the hour - but they do only take cash. The lot was well lit at night and the walk to the hotel is along a main street. We had no problems there.

The area around the hotel was ok. It's about one block from the Haight-Ashbury area which does have a lot of street people at night. We were asked for money several times but didn't have any problems while walking around looking for a place to eat. The next morning walking for breakfast the streets were virtually empty.

If we had to stay in this area again, we would consider staying here.

• Liked — Overall cleanliness and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Size of room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveling_in_Two
Oxford
Reviewed November 8, 2006

we booked over the internet for myself, my partner and our daughter asking only for a quiet room. This wasn't taken into account when they allocated us a room, we had a "Park View" room which meant that the room was on the front of the hotel over the lobby. Directly outside the hotel there is one of the major roads through Haight-Ashbury and there are traffic lights so you get lots of traffic stopping and starting. There is also a bar two doors away from the hotel. The hotel only has single glazing so you are really affected by all the noise outside. Oh yes and the next block is a MacDonalds and the associated car park - there is nothing between the hotel and the car park except a road. There seem to be two types of "characters" in the area directly around the hotel - those living rough in the park and surrounding area who we felt no threat from (despite appearances) - then there were those who were hanging out around MacDonalds who felt much more threatening although I have nothing to base that on beyond some comments from them when we were walking past.

We asked the receptionist if we could change rooms after our first night and were told that it wasn't possible as we were staying for too many nights (6 more). It was too much hassle for her to rearrange anyone else's shorter stays to accomodate us - so you would really be wise to speak to someone before you come and agree a quiet room if you need one.

No drinks facilities in the room beyond two glasses and an ice bucket.

No curtain/blind on the obscured glass bathroom window. But actually the street light is bright enough to give you good lighting for most trips!

So (after all that) the hotel was attractive from the outside, reception was nice, room was ok visually. Staff was pretty uninterested. I would not stay there again or recommend any of my friends to stay there.

• Liked — proximity to Golden Gate Park
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Talk to the receptionist when you book your room