“Perfect!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Perfect!”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Located on the edge of the Haight Ashbury, the Stanyan Park is convenient to Golden Gate Park (one of the few hotels in walking distance to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival each October), rapid transit, and is only a block away from Amoeba Records, one of the truly great music stores in existence. Decent continental breakfast, free wi-fi and a very roomy suite: we had the 1.5 bedroom. Helpful, friendly front desk staff. We're already booked for next October!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank dennisdster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Jasper National Park, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Booking online weeks in advance for a standard room with two beds for a overnight stay in The Haight/Ashbury area of San Francisco, I was very pleased! My mother had found this boutique hotel and thought it would be fitting.

Lovely staff, we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen, dining room, living area 2 bedrooms and a bath.. it was a well sized apartment. They guided us through the area with a map outlining restaurants and personal notes about each one. Located a block from the popular Haight Street, and right across from the Golden Gate Park. Very nice continental breakfast as well as organizing the airport town car for us. (p.s. the vegetarian indian restaurant New Ganges a few blocks away was such a wonderful experience!) Would definitely revisit Stanyan!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mariegood
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 17, 2010

As a disclaimer, I should mention that this hotel is not for those who are looking for yet another cookie cutter hotel with modern amenities, a fitness center, a pool and a business center. However, if you are willing to wander a bit of the beaten path, this hotel holds some interesting surprises [both wonderful and slightly eyebrow raising] Just be aware that if you take a cab or SuperShuttle from the airport, they are going to have a tough time figuring out where exactly you're staying and might take some time to get you there.

The staff at the hotel were really helpful. Particularly the tall blonde woman who was helping my colleagues and me. She was very helpful with providing toiletries when some were missing from our room and, seeing our jetlagged bodies from the East Coast, was very welcoming with suggestions of where to dine or get a drink.

In terms of the room, it felt more like I was staying at a bed and breakfast than at a hotel, per se. The room was neat and the furniture was stunning--nice wooden rolltop desks, a large armchair and twin beds...I felt like I was in an "I Love Lucy" bedroom set. I was also very pleased with the BBW toiletries.The bathroom was significantly better [and cozier] than any hotel bathroom I have ever been in; I felt more as if I was going into my own bathroom than one at a hotel.

The bedding is not very adequate, especially since SF nights can tend to get quite cold. Considering there was no real heating/cooling unit in the room that worked in either direction, it made sleeping a little uncomfortable. In terms of room choice, it's really a choice between two demons: if you get a room off the street [as I had], you really have no view. And put those curtains down when you change because other rooms have a clear view into yours. However, if you get a room on the street [as a colleague did], you will have to deal with the noise of passersby. Even at 2 in the morning. I would take quite and serene over spectacular view any day. The location [right around Haight-Ashbury] can get quite sketchy at night...I did feel slightly uncomfortable walking around at night. However, the hotel does operate on a buzzer-based system after hours to ensure better safety in the area.

The continental breakfast was good and had healthier choices and better pastries than your usual hotel fare. There is also an afternoon tea, which most definitely appealed to my Anglophile instincts. The wi-fi in my room also made me feel less like I was in the middle of "I Love Lucy."

Overall, I had a very pleasant time at the hotel. While there were some minor issues in terms of location and bedding, I did like how close I was to Golden Gate Park/UCSF and could easily access areas west of Divisadero. I would recommend this for college students who are interested in hiking/biking and are used to the twin beds/smaller rooms set-up that is common in college. It's not for everyone, but it's enjoyable for those willing to get into it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank willworkforhotelroom
calif.
Reviewed May 31, 2010

my husband was having surgrery at UCSF, they were vere helpful we were able to walk to hospital and Golden Gate Park. They were able to exchange rooms when my freind came to stay with me during my husbands surgery.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
SFO
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year and this is one of the worst I have been to.

The location is a bit disconcerting when arriving at night. Lots of loiterers around the outside and parking is well down the block and across the street and $18 a night (not too bad for SF, CA). The front desk person was not a native english speaker and did not understand much of what I was saying- or so it seemed.

The room was subpar- very dingy- it felt (and smelled) like my grandmother's basement.

There is no AC and my room was at least 85 degrees. I called down to discuss the issue with the front desk clerk and he persisted in not understanding what I was saying.

I told him i did not think i could stay in the room given the temperature and the overall feel. He said that he would cancel my reservation- but because it was booked through my travel agent that she would have to do it. It was 1am east coast so i could not call my agent- he said to have her call tomorrow- "No Problem" he said.

I was able to get a room at the Hilton downtown (which is exceptional) for about $30 more per night.

the worst was when my travel agent called the hotel the next day. She said that they were "the worst hotel she has dealt with in her years of experience." She said the representative would not work with her to com to a compromise and insisted that the full rate be charged for my stay. She then asked for the manager and she said he seemed very disinterested and further went on to say that no hotels in San Fran had AC. That is odd- because all 5 of the other hotels I have stayed in around the area have AC.

Avoid this hotel if you can- the grounds, staff, and management are all subpar.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank travelprofessional02

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Only spent one night - but it was well worth it. Just the ability to sit in on a comfy chair and relax with a glass of wine after a hectic day was great.
The bed was very comfortable. The kitchen was fully equipped.
The breakfast buffet had a nice variety, and the staff was very accomodating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
california
Reviewed November 16, 2008

We stayed here for 3 weeks in a suite while my husband had a transplant at UCSF. This is just minutes from UCSF. This was the most peaceful and relaxing place to get away from it all. The staff was extremely helpful and very nice. They called cabs for me and there was always someone on staff. I needed aspirin in the middle of the night and they actually sent someone to go to a store and get some for me! Whenever I entered the lobby after a long day at the hospital they would greet me by my first name. The afternoon tea was very good, and again, the staff was just wonderful! We stayed here many times after and loved it more each time. A bit pricey but well worth it.

Stayed January 2003