“THE FRONT DESK REP ORBELLE WAS GREAT”
Review of Stanyan Park Hotel

Stanyan Park Hotel
Ranked #151 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
calif.
“THE FRONT DESK REP ORBELLE WAS GREAT”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

my husband was having surgrery at UCSF, they were vere helpful we were able to walk to hospital and Golden Gate Park. They were able to exchange rooms when my freind came to stay with me during my husbands surgery.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
SFO
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year and this is one of the worst I have been to.

The location is a bit disconcerting when arriving at night. Lots of loiterers around the outside and parking is well down the block and across the street and $18 a night (not too bad for SF, CA). The front desk person was not a native english speaker and did not understand much of what I was saying- or so it seemed.

The room was subpar- very dingy- it felt (and smelled) like my grandmother's basement.

There is no AC and my room was at least 85 degrees. I called down to discuss the issue with the front desk clerk and he persisted in not understanding what I was saying.

I told him i did not think i could stay in the room given the temperature and the overall feel. He said that he would cancel my reservation- but because it was booked through my travel agent that she would have to do it. It was 1am east coast so i could not call my agent- he said to have her call tomorrow- "No Problem" he said.

I was able to get a room at the Hilton downtown (which is exceptional) for about $30 more per night.

the worst was when my travel agent called the hotel the next day. She said that they were "the worst hotel she has dealt with in her years of experience." She said the representative would not work with her to com to a compromise and insisted that the full rate be charged for my stay. She then asked for the manager and she said he seemed very disinterested and further went on to say that no hotels in San Fran had AC. That is odd- because all 5 of the other hotels I have stayed in around the area have AC.

Avoid this hotel if you can- the grounds, staff, and management are all subpar.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank travelprofessional02

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Only spent one night - but it was well worth it. Just the ability to sit in on a comfy chair and relax with a glass of wine after a hectic day was great.
The bed was very comfortable. The kitchen was fully equipped.
The breakfast buffet had a nice variety, and the staff was very accomodating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
california
Reviewed November 16, 2008

We stayed here for 3 weeks in a suite while my husband had a transplant at UCSF. This is just minutes from UCSF. This was the most peaceful and relaxing place to get away from it all. The staff was extremely helpful and very nice. They called cabs for me and there was always someone on staff. I needed aspirin in the middle of the night and they actually sent someone to go to a store and get some for me! Whenever I entered the lobby after a long day at the hospital they would greet me by my first name. The afternoon tea was very good, and again, the staff was just wonderful! We stayed here many times after and loved it more each time. A bit pricey but well worth it.

Stayed January 2003
1 Thank dottCalifornia
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We spent 3 nights at the Stanyan Park Hotel at a rate of $166. Our room was a deluxe queen which meant that we weren't tripping over our luggage. Comfortable bed, 27 inch screen for late night viewing, sizeable and very clean bathroom, and nice sitting area right by a bay window. Maid service was speedy. Assistance from front desk personnel was friendly and helpful. Location is off of Haight Street which is still a throw back to the 60's. We rented bicycles just outside our door and toured Golden Gate park, rode along the ocean, and ended up at the top of the Golden Gate bridge. Took advantage of the bus lines too that were within a block of the hotel. Parking across the street was secure and for $15 a day, a bargain compared to valet parking fees at other hotels. We utilized public transportation during the day and used the rental car in the evening. Never had any problems finding street parking near to restaurants. If you don't need turn down service, chocolates on your pillow, an excercise room, pool, or a restaurant on site, The Stanyan Park Hotel will work for you. Ample continental breakfast served from 6:00-10:00am.

1 Thank MertonMary
Salt Lake City
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I was surprised to see how negative the reviews of the Stanyan Park are. Our room was away from the street. I selected such a room on their website, and got what I asked for. The room was small, but workable. The view was non-existent, but the room was quiet. TV reception was poor. Our room was clean, even by my wife's very high standards. The staff were very helpful to us, day or night. The Stanyan does not have the amenities of fancier places, but I attribute the somewhat high cost to the location. Their contracted limo back to the airport costs no more than a cab and is highly recommended. From our perspective, the only true negative was the quality of the breakfast, which included trans-fat-laden muffins and other low-quality items. I can easily imagine that a "park view" room would be very noisy, so if you value your sleep, follow our lead and pick a room off the street.

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jw_slc
folsom ca
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Needed to be close to UCSF Childrens Hospital-Our child was having a procedure. Advised hotel clerk we were a family of 2 adults, 2 kids. Was told only availability was 2 twins but hotel would push beds together to make one, and would bring in a roll away, that they have put many families in this room with absolutely no problem. I called a few hours before our arrival to make sure the room was ready as we would be in late-the manager? advised me the beds were screwed into the wall and a roll away would never fit in the room. I asked what to do, he repeatedly said "we will work it out when you arrive" I asked how, he just repeated himself. We arrived,I asked the manager? what could be done, he said "nothing" the beds are screwed into the wall and a roll away wont fit" I reminded him that he said "we would work it out on our arrival" He cooly said "nothing can be done w/the twins but they had other rooms but we would be charged more. So, we took the room w/2 twins.

• Liked — Hotel was very clean. Continental breakfast
  • Disliked — The manager? was so indifferent about the problem, straight face, as if he could care less. . .
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank giasmom