“Quintesssential San Francisco at its finest!”
Review of Stanyan Park Hotel

Stanyan Park Hotel
Ranked #138 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I am just back from a quick visit to my beloved San Francisco. This was my first trip back in 5 years and The Stanyan Park Hotel blew me away.

From the moment I entered until check out it was such a pleasure to be in such a historical, comfortable, non Union Square (touristy) hotel.

I could go on and on about just how comfortable I was. The staff from management to housekeeping was warm, welcoming, professional and genuine. Things I miss living in NY.

Our room was a 2 bedroom flat and it reminded me so much of life in San Francisco in my youth. How I wish I could have afforded a flat as lovely as the one I stayed in! The suite/apartment was sparkling clean. The beds were so comfortable I had a hard time getting up in the morning. Pillows? I am a pillow FREAK and these were the BEST hotel pillows EVER.
The linens were high quality, the sofa served as a crash pad before bed, so comfy too!

Yes, this property is old. No, the rooms are not dated, they are of the Victorian era. Yes, the water pressure is not amazing but I did not care...I was back in San Francisco wishing I never left for NY.

In short, this will be my go to hotel from now on. I will be sending all my family and friends to The Stanyan Park Hotel. Bravo!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the suite, it's worth it. And if you are traveling with more than 2 people there i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Carl S

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We wanted a place close to our daughter's apartment in Cole Valley and this hotel worked out very well. Small 30 room historic hotel--as expected, had a small but functional bathroom. We had the more spacious cupola room with sitting area by large bay window overlooking the edge of Golden Gate Park. We had a 2nd floor room so there was some street noise. Price includes wifi and basic continental breakfast. Staff was responsive to request for extra towels, etc. Many great restaurants nearby within walking distance--both Cole St and Haight.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank craftnut
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am a fan of boutique hotels but this one falls short of a comfortable stay. Unfortunately, there is little competition in the area for UCSF. While the hotel is clean, there are many problems. In three stays we have had the reservation screwed up - once, forcing us to move downtown; then, a substantial power outage; finally, a non working television. We were offered a room on the first floor that had only a small window that opened onto a small and moldy chase, filled with cigarette butts. There was no other access to air, as the hotel has no ventilation system or fans. The smell of the perfumed cleaning products was overpowering, certainly not good for anyone with breathing or sensitivity challenges. Many rooms have no street facing windows, making the rooms claustrophobic and dark. The water pressure is marginal. The morning breakfast was plentiful and well stocked with fruit, pastries, and bread products. Unfortunately, coffee is no longer offered throughout the day. If it wasn't for the close to campus location, I would never recommend this hotel in a city with so many options.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room with street facing windows, particularly the turreted rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Pippin G
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The hotel is in a very good location, close to UCSF, Golden gate bridge park and Haight street. The early breakfast (starting from 6:00 am) is a great plus, especially for jet lagged people. The hotel is old, but well kept. The first night I could not detect where is a heater, and after I complained about it, I was shown where it is and it worked fine. A good place to stay for this area of the town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Let me start with a brief overview of the following review. This hotel is clean and relatively affordable plus having a location that leaves it few alternatives. That said, the following story illustrates the unsavoryness of the hotel's business practices making it an unacceptable risk to stay there. I booked my room through Hotels.com. On arrival, I found that some handoff had been dropped between the website and the hotel leading to me not having a reservation. The night desk man was very helpful and provided me a rate for another class of room in the hotel that was acceptable. I signed the rate card and my credit card was preauthorized. When I checked out two days later the hotel had charged me 25% more than the agreed total. The day man explained that after he had been informed of the technical glitch he went back and found my original reservation with their booking service and readjusted my rate to the higher booked rate. Regardless of his rationale, I insisted that a new rate had been agreed upon and signed for to which he shrugged saying that I was contractually obligated to pay the higher Hotels.com rate. This entire incident was a clear reservation mistake on their end and then a second pricing mistake made by the night man. I have never been at hotel where such errors were made by the staff and the hotel refused to take financial responsibility for the incident. That the day man had known about the problem for an entire day and not bothered contacting me only made this further problematic. Such behavior is inexcusable,and I am forced to say you should avoid this hotel at all costs. The Carl up the street gets excellent reviews and pricing. I would have stayed there had it accepted check-ins past 11pm.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank MDWandering83
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel has had some rough reviews, but we liked it.

It is the only hotel in the Cole Valley neighborhood, and if you need to be there, it saves loads of time instead of commuting from the more popular hotel districts. The immediate area is at the entrance to Golden Gate Park and, yes, there are homeless people scattered around, but they do not panhandle. They just want to be left alone. They are attracted by the park and the MacDonald's. Of course you should stay out of the MacDonalds which is a block from the hotel. On the other hand it was very convenient to have a Whole Foods next to the MacDonalds, and the hotel is a three block walk from Cole Valley and all those wonderful restaurants.

The hotel is very historic - pre-earthquake. The rooms can be small. They have tried to update it but it does remind me of the old Middlebury Inn in Vermont - quaint and creaky. The drapes and window shades are soiled because I doubt if they can be cleaned very easily. The rest of the hotel is clean and comfortable. Bed was fine. Cable flat screen TV.

The breakfast buffet is continental but satisfying. Classical music with the day's newspaper. Coffee, tea, juice, cereal and loads of baked goods. Who needs more?

Easy shuttle to the airport is offered for $17.

Room Tip: The smallest rooms are too small. Go for one size bigger.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank WestHartford_CTTomh
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

When I checked into the hotel I was upgraded from an inside room, to a beautiful corner room with many windows, and a desk in front of a bay window! The downside was the noise from the street, but when I slept with earplugs it wasn't a problem. The parking lot isn't with the hotel, and it's a block away across the street. I found free 2 hour parking next to the hotel on the street. They font check it after 8 pm and they start at 8 am (giving you till 10 to move your car) so it was actually very convenient for me to return after dinner and move it in the morning after the delicious breakfast! I lived it, and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012