“How could you beat this location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Victorian LLC

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Red Victorian LLC
Ranked #26 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“How could you beat this location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

The price of the room is pretty awesome considering you are 100 yards from Golden Gate Park. You are also walking distance to almost anything from this point. It is half as expensive as staying next to the airport if you plan on traveling, plus they provide free breakfast and coffee in the morning. The hotel is full of wonderful art from Sami Sunchild, the owner of the hotel. This is truly a wonderful place to stay! HOWEVER, if you are not comfortable with shared bathrooms this isn't your place...all the bathrooms are shared...not that the bathrooms are attached to your room and some stranger is right there while you sleep, but the bathrooms are down the hall and you may have to wait for someone to finish taking a shower. This isn't a big deal for myself but I'm sure some people may not be comfortable. To that I say "WELCOME TO SAN FRANCISCO!"

Room Tip: The Peacock Room if you have a party of 3 or more. There are three beds and a wonderful interior dec...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Evan E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed in the Peace Room for 3 nights. Originally we wanted the Summer of love room but it was booked and we booked 3 months in advance. Location is perfect. On Haight street in the heart of Haight Ashbury which is a great neighborhood with many interesting people. The Red Vic is a great place to stay and fairly inexpensive. The staff is very friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The breakfast bagels were excellent along with the free coffee and tea. It was nice sitting in the Cafe and talking to people and finding out where they are from. Definitely a great place and we would recommend staying there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ethan_en_Saskia
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

We think you can't have a better location in San Francisco....for food, drinks ,shops ,and walking around those beautiful streets south and north of Haight st.
Very nice staff,clean rooms, clean washrooms, bad carpets ,good coffee downstairs but it would be nice if it would open at 8am. If you are a light sleeper, choose rooms in the back because on
weekends, it gets a bit heavy on the front street.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

The Red Vic is definitely a cool place to go. I roomed in the Peacock Suite with a friend, and we really liked the atmosphere. The stained glass windows and retro furniture were a cool throwback to the '60s. Or at least I suppose they were. As an '80s baby I can't say that definitively. During the day, the location was tops. Right in the Haight. We stayed around 4/20, so there was definitely some interesting stuff going on. Although... the neighborhood gets rough at night. Even after 4/20 people were getting really high and wasted. The night crowd is rowdy and unsavory. Keep your street smarts sharp if you're there after nightfall.

The Red Vic staff was very friendly! A little spacey... but the important thing is that they're kind and helpful. I was a little bit creeped out by their openness at first, but it grew on me. At breakfast a staff member will often sit down next to you and ask you what you're doing "for peace." They seem like the type you can get genuine advice from if you need to spill your sorrows. It makes you feel at home.

An issue many of you will probably have is with bathing. There are no private bathrooms in any suite but the Peacock Suite, and even in that room there's no privacy. And no shower. There's a bathtub right in the middle of the room where your company can see you. Heads up.

The only other negative point about the hotel is food. It wasn't great. The complementary breakfast choices are quite limited and aren't very good anyway. Please note that this is my personal perception. I'm a New Yorker, used to good bagel-based breakfasts. Everything on a bagel here is not worth getting, and, unfortunately, most of the entrees were served on a bagel. You might want to go out to breakfast instead.

The Red Vic was a good experience. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Elena B
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

My husband and I love San Francisco and have stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square and Chinatown areas. We always include a half day's visit to the Haight. This time we thought we would try staying there and give the area a thorough exploration. The Red Victorian is a once in a lifetime experience... the key word here is once! The staff was outrageously friendly. The employee designated as "host" (it's written on the back of her t-shirt) will sit right down at your breakfast table and begin to ask you deep inquiring questions! This is known at the Red Vic as "breakfast conversations" and it's fun on the first day. Day two through 4 it begins to get a bit annoying. Breakfast itself was simple but good enough.

The hotel is a true Victorian with loads of history and character. It was remodeled in the late seventies and there it stays, sort of like your Uncle Steve who still wears his polyester leisure suit. We stayed in the Redwood Forest room which is in a quiet corner of the building with a private bath. I don't believe the building is air conditioned so we spent the night with window open. Like true hippies living outdoors we were awakened by the sun each morning (sheer curtains). But like the 21st century couple we are...we wanted our coffee asap. Sorry, cafe and lobby don't open until 9:00 am. I would have been happy with an open lobby serving coffee at 7am and breakfast at 9:00. The free wireless was not working on our floor and it would have been nice to sit in the lobby where wireless was available checking our email and sipping coffee. But we were here to experience life as the hippies lived it in the Summer of Love 1967 so we went with the flow.

It's true that the furnishings are old..late 1970's vintage, but everything is clean. Our bathroom was clean and functional with just a bit of rust here and there. Hippies apparently did not watch television as there was not one in any of the rooms or in the lobby. We really enjoyed peeking into all the themed rooms when the maids were cleaning...what a trip! 100 dolls peek through a window, a fish tank atop the toilet and canopies everywhere. Sami Sunchild's art is colorful and cheery and all contain inspiring messages. The wall of our themed room was covered with a Redwood Forest mural. We learned from Sami (owner and creator of the Red Vic) that the mural was out of print when she told us she came into our room while we were out to move our guitar case and luggage away from the wall lest it mar the surface of this relic. Lol. That's ok..we can dig.

During my first night on the mattress, I had the worst back spasm of my life. I've never had back problems before but after carrying my luggage up three flights of winding stairs and sleeping several hours on a hard lumpy mattress my spine began to protest. I had to phone my doctor to see if he would call in an emergency prescription of anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers. Ok, I may be a bit older than the 16-25 age range of the real hippies, but MAN this hurt! My doctor came through with the drugs and so I spent the next day high as a kite. Yep, definitely living the life of a flower child.

The Haight Ashbury area delivered its funky freaky charm as always. We met interesting people and discovered fascinating shops. Plenty of vintage clothes and oddity shops. Restaurants were mostly dash in and eat types with a couple of sit down places. We ate civilized meals at The Citrus Club and Cha Cha Cha. We walked through Golden Gate Park to the de Young museum where we saw an AWESOME exhibit of Jean Paul Gaultier fashions. When night falls the Haight gets quieter and is occupied by new age hippies wearing dreadlocks and walking with very large dogs. We had no trouble with any of them although my husband did see a homeless man break a wine bottle on a car that was attempting to park in the space where he was sorting trash.

I'm glad I experienced this place, it was exactly what I expected (minus the backache and lack of wireless). I think I've come as close to being a hippie as I want to get though. Mark that off the bucket list!

Room Tip: Redwood Forest room is quiet and has a private shower bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Victoria_Rodon
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

My girlfriend Ali and myself just stayed at the Red Vic from Wednesday-Sunday, as I had a conference on the other side of town. The place did not feel like a hotel, it was like staying in a loving relatives home. The staff were extremely friendly, informative, and welcoming. The vibes were amazing. The art is very inspirational and breathtaking. With all this being said, this is not the ideal destination for anyone who holds extremely high standards for hospitality. If you are picky and particular about extreme cleanliness and appearance, this may not be the right place for you. In short, the Red Vic was perfect for us, but I would not recommend to the usual regular at the Ritz or the W.

We had such an amazing time, we are actually planning a trip to return ASAP (and we have family and friends in the area whom we could stay with for free). The breakfast conversation with Sami and the wonderful staff members (along with several other guests) was beyond inspirational. We met some great people whom we expect to keep in touch with. The daily breakfast they serve, in itself, was the best I've had at a bed-and-breakfast (and I'm from Cape Cod!). I highly recommend the "bountiful bagel," and the coffee was great.

If you are thinking about staying at the Red Vic, but turned-off by the notion of sharing bathrooms (have to admit I had concerns), fear not. There are plenty of bathrooms for everyone, with showers and beautiful design. One even has an aquarium in it. The inn was full for the majority of our stay, however, we did not attempt to use the bathroom or shower once while it was occupied.

I am sitting home right now and feeling homesick because I miss the Red Vic!

Jimmy Handrinos

Room Tip: Make sure the bed is large enough. My only complaint is that I did not sleep well since two of us w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

Well, first of all, I love San Francisco, and, my favorite haunt is the Haight-Ashbury area.

I have stayed at the Red Vic multiple times, which means I obviously like it enough, I just feel like they could maybe do a little updating. Most of the rooms share several bathrooms located on the various floors. This is somewhat awkward, but never too much of a hassle.

Sami, the owner, and "Peaceful world foundation" creator, seems to have kept everything exactly the same for at least 40 years.

The themes are cute, albeit dated, and most things are down right worn out. The location is excellent, close to Golden Gate park and the Haight. The free breakfast a great plus, (a breakfast sandwhich or muffin and coffee or tea, this changed a bit the last time I was there, and there are more limited choices).

The fellow patrons are interesting, to make conversation with, and Sami can be found in the cafe many mornings talking to hotel guests.
All in all, this place is pretty cool, but the beds are so hard!

Coming home late at night, you are welcomed by a group of homeless, dreadlocked loiterers who always seem to be hanging outside the door at night.
But, the place is locked, with multiple keys and multiple doors, so I never felt unsafe.

I will likely come back, because i really like this overall vibe of this place, but i just feel that for the price of at least $110/night, an upgrade to the mattresses and pillows should be feasible, keep the old bedspreads and curtains if you must, but PLEASE, give us a better night's sleep. I have stayed in three rooms so far, and each time I go home needing my neck adjusted from the Chiropractor.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends