“Very Nice and Comfortable Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
portland, oregon
“Very Nice and Comfortable Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a lovely hotel in the heart of SF. Very well maintained and really nice accommodations. The queen bed private bath room was small but well maintained and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was pretty good but nothing more croissants. They were very good though. I would highly recommend this place for couples. Good service and good price.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The hotel is in an odd location, not really in the loin or nob hill or union square, but triangulated between the three. I was at a conference at the downtown Hilton, so this location was perfect for walking down to meetings every morning, but if I was just nominally staying in San Francisco, this would not be my first choice spot, in terms of neighborhood. The staff and service was top top notch; I showed up about 15 min before the front desk closed to check in on Sunday night and the desk manager was amazingly friendly, had a great suggestion for ramen in the area, and made sure my room was as I pleased. This was a theme that continued during my weeklong stay. The coffee was great, as were the pastry, and the staff made sure there was stuff available to grab as I rushed out the door every morning. After I checked out, I left my bag with the front desk and was invited to have tea when I picked it up, later that afternoon. The common area is really mostly used during the tea and morning coffee times with an interesting mix of international and domestic travelers of mostly ages mid 30's - 60's. They could totally call the place a boutique hostel - as this is probably closer to the feel of the place. My only complaint would be that the noise from the antique elevator was fairly loud, and while this never woke me, it did keep me a awake a couple of times. Overall, a great stay and I would definitely return.

Room Tip: At least one of the shared bathroom singles on the third floor has its own shower - ask if you can s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in the Golden Gate Hotel (in a double shared bathroom). The staff were very friendly and helpful. I rang the day before I was due to arrive as my plans had changed and I needed to spend an extra night in SF. They were very accommodating and arranged for an extra night for me. The only room available was a more expensive, larger, room but they only charged me the cheaper rate (I moved rooms into my, smaller, original room the next day). The staff are also knowledgeable and willing to give you advice/suggestions if you require. The shared bathroom arrangement was fine, it basically felt as if I was the only one using it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter S
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a night on our wedding anniversary. Perfect! The staff is so nice and accommodating. The owners have just the right amount of involvement - chatting when you want it, sensing when you don't. And the hotel is very comfortable. We stayed in an en suite room on the first floor in the back. Devine! And the location is perfect. We strolled around Union Square, then had dinner at Cafe Claude on Claude Lane. All in all - a great one-night vacation.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Such a neat little place in San Francisco! Everyone was so helpful and made us feel at home. Very close to the trolley, only a block from Chinatown. The rooms are very small, but it is San Fran. Very beautiful hotel, very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

After 27hrs in transit from Melbourne, Australia I was hoping the Golden Gate would be quiet, clean and comfortable. It surely was all these and more...I received a nice warm welcome from Halim, who, along with Spencer proved to be the most hospitable hosts.

Actually, all the staff at the Golden Gate were fantastic....breakfast tray for my room with thermos of coffee and bowl for my cereal (I had the lovely croissants a few mornings too), storing my milk and beer in the hotel kitchen fridge, even carrying my tray to my room for me because I was a little sick and unsteady a few mornings...nothing was ever a problem!

As a single traveller I had a room with a shared bath, which wasn't a problem (I think there were only about 3 rooms for every bathroom). The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, the bed comfortable, decor nice and homey. All I could want really.

The location is great but not too close to the action as to be noisy or sketchy. Most the interesting sights and neighbourhoods are accessible by foot or easily by public transport.

When I return to San Francisco for a third time I will stay at the Golden Gate again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank atravelinman67
Karumba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was such a beautiful quaint hotel, our room was immaculate with enough room to accommodate us and our baggage. Spotless clean with a lovely comfy bed and bathroom to match. The owners were lovely an of course PIP the cat was always around somewhere. We walked everywhere from here and both of use are not big walkers ( just lazy) and had no probs. The hills in San Fran are steep bit the views are amazing

• Stayed October 2013