“absolute gem near union square”
Review of Golden Gate Hotel

Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I am so glad that I have chosen to stay in golden gate hotel. This hotel is located uphill & within 15mins -20mins walking distance from union square-the heart of SF. The rooms are reasonably priced. The hotel is decorated in the elegant Edwardian style.Even the corridors & stairways have paintings of ribbons on them. Vintage black & white photos adorned the walls.The vintage lift is beautiful & features embossed golden figurines of animals on the ceiling. The lift is more than 100 years old & it works. The bed is so comfortable that I manage to get undisrupted sleep that night.
Best of all, this is a family run inn which provides service from the heart!
The daughter of the family has helped me print out directions to walt disney museum that am. At night, I have arrived late in the inn to pick up my luggage & to go to SF airport. The night manager called a shuttle van for me at a discounted price, providing me with the door to door convenience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank taysiewhua

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at this lovely B&B in October of 2012. The only room left when we booked was a basement room with a shared bath. I was anxious about the accommodations but couldn't have been more surprised by the room which at $115 was a steal. The shared bathroom was no issue as there was only one other room down where we were. The down pillows and comforter provided a wonderful sleep.
The breakfast is lacking a protein and I would have loved some peanut butter or a hard boiled egg or cheese to go with the scrumptious croissants and muffins The service is superior and its grand to sit in the small salon speaking with guests from all over the world. The location is ideal, only one block from the Powell St cable car which gets you down to Market St and from there to any place in the city.

Room Tip: San Francisco has so much to see and do that you won't be spending lots of time in your room We...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CJP378
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My friend and I stayed a week at this B @ B. It was chosen because of the great reviews, and it lived up to them. The rooms were smallish, but very well appointed. Simple blue and white decor, with VERY comfortable beds, and a simple chair and table to work at your laptop on. The staff were so helpful. We had two very early morning starts, and were given our crosiannts the night before so that we did not miss out on. I love almond Danish crosiannts. We also enjoyed the black currant tea and biscuits 4.30 to 6pm. We enjoyed meeting other guests over breakfast or afternoon tea. It help make it a very friendly place

Room Tip: Higher rooms do not get as good wifi, but it is fine downstairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After a long transatlantic flight it was an absolute pleasure to sleep in a very comfortable bed!
Excellent central location, close to cable car route & shops/restaurants. Welcoming friendly staff with a true 'family-run' feel. Simple but good (fresh) continental breakfasts. Pip the resident Manx cat a pleasure to be around.

Room Tip: Had a room on the front, no issues regarding noise overall but you are in a City so must make allowa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

All of it in one place. My husband and I spent 4 nights at the hotel. The building is beautiful, comfortable, charming, very nice staff, good breakfast and very well located! I recommend the place and will recommend to my family and friends. Ah, and if you like pets, you will feel home. One of the staff member is Pip, the cat. And sometimes Patsy, the little dog, is on duty too :)

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I selected the Golden Gate hotel because of its great reviews on Tripadvisor and I have to admit it lived up to all the great reviews.

It’s called a “hotel” but it’s really a beautiful house with a staff that makes you feel right at home. Pip the cat and Cookie the dog add that extra touch that makes it feel like staying at an old friend’s house.

We stayed 2 nights in a double bed room with a shared bath directly across the hall. Our room had a small sink, chair, closet, TV and Wi-Fi. It might be considered small by todays standards but was big enough for us. It was rather warm and we were able to open the window at night to cool the room.

Tables are set up in the living room for breakfast. The selection is limited to muffins and croissants, along with coffee, tea and juice. I would recommend maybe adding some fresh fruit and starting breakfast earlier than 8am. The tea and cookies in the afternoon were a pleasant way to warm up with after a day of sightseeing.

Parking is convenient and directly across the street. We used the in-out privileges and had no problems. Tell the garage you are staying at the Golden Gate and the discounted hotel parking rate can be charged to your room tab.

The hotel is on a quiet street in a nice neighborhood and is an easy walk to Union Square, Chinatown and a cable car stop. There are a few small markets nearby to pickup water, fruit, etc.

We were very happy we stayed here and would definitely stay here again or recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights and was pretty satisfied with this B&B. It is clean, quiet and in good location for touristy things to do. The cable car is one block away which can take you to Fisherman's Wharf.

The staff is very helpful. We needed a cab and one staff member was very helpful with our getting one.

The room is small but comfortable and the bath was very nice.

As others have mentioned, it is not a chain hotel, but a very quiet B&B. The tea room is tiny and only has a few tables.

My only complaint was there was no coffee in the lobby early in the morning. It comes at 8:00 which is not very helpful to those of us coming from the east coast with a 3 hour time difference.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple