Golden Gate Hotel
$225
$208
Hilton.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$418
$323
  • Room Service
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$212
$197
$209
$336
$222
$220
$208
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$310
$239
  • Restaurant
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$401
$254
$183
$279
$209
  • Room Service
All reviewspip the catshared bathroomantique elevatorafternoon tea and cookieshotel catprivate bathother guestshot croissantsclawfoot tubunion squarebed and breakfastcable carbush stclaw footcharming hotelevery afternoonrooms are small
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This is a special place. It is a charming, welcoming hotel in a fantastic location only 5 minutes from Union Square. The staff are extremely friendly and the hotel has a real homely feel to it.
We opted for a room with shared bathroom. the room was small but perfect for our needs. If you are not on a tight budget i would suggest going for an ensuite room as they are significantly bigger.
Breakfast is nice - crossants, coffee and orange juice. Not great for the waistline 5 days in a row but no complaints here!

Room Tip: Go for an ensuite room if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We had a brief stay at the Golden Gate Hotel, and we were completely happy with our choice. The Man and I made a last-minute reservation for the lowest cost room (double bed with a shared restroom), which contained an in-room shower, wash basin, and closet. While the room had modest dimensions, based on its tasteful design and sensible layout, we pleasantly found the space to be entirely adequate and unconfining. This is noted from someone who has experienced much larger rooms that have been completely stifling. Granted, one may have problems swinging a kid around feet out, or if the traveler had with many pieces of luggage, or expects a large flat-screen.

The bed, too, while not large, was what the boyfriend called, "dangerously" comfortable. I would add that I enjoyed the distinctly just-laundered quality of the comforter -- coming from one who hates the thought of the actual frequency most hotel comforters are washed.

Other attributes we enjoyed -- the functioning antique cage elevator; warm, fresh croissants (no shortage of buttery layers) for breakfast; and Pip, the mellow yet perceptive feline resident. Also, we loved the B&B/Hotel location, which is situated within walking distance to a number of great places, including Chinatown, Little Italy, Union Square, and Fleur de Lys. Finally, the staff were genuinely courteous and accommodating, and among some of the most pleasant we have encountered. We would have happily stayed longer, and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed March 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Golden Gate Hotel after receiving a recommendation from one of our American friends. We were both very impressed with the hotel: good location, nice room (on the small side of average but the price was extremely competitive so you get what you pay for), extremely pleasant and helpful staff, good quality breakfast thrown in with the price of the room and a lovely cat called Pip plus two dogs (golden retriever and french bulldog) who were both real characters.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in San Francisco who is looking for a reasonably priced hotel with impeccable service.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We arrived early Saturday afternoon and were warmly welcomed by Spencer at the front desk and Pip, the cat. Pip checked us over and accompanied us in the antique elevator to show us our room. We had a small but pretty room on the fourth floor with a shared bathroom. This proved to be no problem because the bathroom was right across the hallway from our room and the room itself had a sink and a mirror. Our room had everything we needed. The bed was very comfortable, the linens were high quality and the duvet was nice and warm.
Breakfasts are served in the front parlour with classical music playing softly in the background. Breakfast consists of juice, coffee or tea and croissants. The croissants looked delicious, but I have a wheat intolerance and the staff accommodated me by providing gluten-free toast.
During one morning's breakfast, we chatted with the proprietor and learned that he's been running the hotel for over 25 years. Experience definitely shows!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I am a film director and my work takes me all around the country. I was fortunate enough to come across the Golden Gate Hotel when I was filming in San Francisco. Not only was the staff kind, courteous and professional, the owners actually greeted my girlfriend and I. So this felt more like a nice B & B somewhere in some small cozy town, although in reality, it is right in the heart of San Francisco.

For me, being an animal lover, what was even better was that we were greeted by Pip, a orange striped tom cat and Patsy, a small french bulldog, that makes up in personality what she is lacking in stature. Pip's dedication to his job was quite inspiring. Pawing at the door prior to entering our room (didn't know cats were so courteous), warming up our bed and giving us company as we ate breakfast from our room while the sun rose through the window. San Francisco at its finest!

The hotel has the most amazing elevator from the 20s and it still works. The entire 4-5 story building is filled with old photos that are quite fascinating and even humorous.

The manager Spencer was quite helpful and referred us to some amazing, yet affordable cuisine in the area. I will continue to go back and suggest anyone looking for an amazing experience in a great location at an affordable price, try this place! You will be happy you did.

Joel Christian McEwen