“informative ane interactive”

$29.99*
Madame Tussauds and San Francisco Dungeon Combo
$150.00*
and up
San Francisco's National Treasures Tour: Alcatraz and Muir Woods plus Madame...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The San Francisco Dungeon is NOT your usual visitor attraction! We're an exciting mix of 9 live actor shows, 200 years of history, 360° sets, 1 dark boat ride and authentic storytelling. Being scared has never been more fun. Our unique take on history has made us one of Europe's best-loved visitor attractions. But now, for the first time, we have arrived in the USA! San Francisco is the perfect venue; filled with history, intrigue and colorful characters.
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Had some history and you were part of the stories.Great way to get a taste of San Fransisco's past. could be a little scary for the little ones.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

From the title, this cute, funny, albeit a little spooky tour gives you a good history of San Francisco. Kids would like it and also learn from it. I'm glad that my wife was gung ho about going, because this was something that I would not have gone to on my own. Enjoyable it was. Try it, you might like it.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

The Dungeon at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf is a live show which purports to expose the underbelly of San Francisco history. If you like the classic Halloween haunted house where people jump out of the darkness and scare you, then this place is for you. It consists of nine separate venues where you interact with a live performer, who quite frequently comes nose to nose with you after the room goes completely dark; they must use infrared goggles or something. There is way too much darkness for my taste. We were informed that this would be an alternative San Francisco history, the dark side of history from 1849 to 1907. One of the early rooms we went into was supposed to feel like riding in an elevator because the room kind of shook and vibrated and it led me to think that if this history goes to 1907 then they will have a simulation of the 1906 earthquake, unfortunately my expectations were not fulfilled. In another episode you're shanghaied and ordered onto a slave ship, which is a short boat ride. This looked like it might contain echoes of Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean, but this was another disappointment, the Captain is a drunken blowhard who repeats himself often, and most of the ride is in complete darkness. Other rooms in no particular order: a carnival barker, A hanging judge, a ghost, a prospector, an executioner, a barmaid, and an Indian guide. All of the performers throw their all into the performance, I think this could qualify as overacting. But it's fun and they attempt to engage the audience even calling people in the audience to participate to the point where almost everyone in our group was chosen, I myself was chosen to be executed. This is a fun entertaining and mildly educational way to spend an hour in San Francisco. The performances, costumes, sets and special effects are all quite impressive with a high level of attention to detail, maybe not exactly "state of the art" special effects as advertised, but still artfully executed. I'm not sure it's worth the $26 price tag but we were able to get a discount through Groupon, so I recommend looking for those discounts.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

We decided to go to this attraction on the spur of the moment, and mainly because we found a groupon that gave us a two-for-one deal. I wouldn't have paid full price for this experience.
It was really fun, if you're into corny actors and group participation. I actually learned quite a bit about San Francisco history from the various vignettes.
Be aware that there is a bit of freaky moments. Nobody touches you, but there are some special effects that might scare some people.
They do try to sell you a photo book after the tour, for $34.

1  Thank Bumblepug
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We had a groupon, so we felt it was a great value. Didn't understand the "boat ride" portion...

There we three of us, one of us is a teenager, we all had the best time!! I don't do haunted houses, because I am a big ole scarety cat....but I had so much fun and we laughed so hard...it was almost like one long Disneyland ride. The actors are amazingly talented and leave you wanting more. Also, they are not allowed to touch you, and no one jumped out at us. If you get scared like I do, you should go, you will have fun.