“Absolutely Disappointed”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #37 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I knew there was a problem when I checked in and was told Internet was spotty and problematic and that if I wanted a connection I should go to one of the conference floors to get a connection. As I rode up to my room, someone casually mentioned to the person they were with that they couldn't believe there had been no internet for almost three days. Three days. In a hotel that is relatively brand new and serves mostly business and convention attendees? Absolutely unacceptable that I was not able to work in my room at the end of the day.

Room was not all that clean -- there were stains by the toilet and not all dirty towels were replaced the next day. Went to iron my shirt only to realize it had rusty water in it that stained my shirt. In a budget hotel, this would not bother me, but for a worldclass hotel this is unacceptable.

To cap it all off, I ordered room service my last night. First call was put on hold for 5 minutes. I hung up. Next call, I got my order in and was told it would take 45-50 minutes. 1 hour and 10 minutes later I got a call from in-room dining asking if I had gotten my order yet. Clearly no one had put in my order. Only saving grace was that I was given my meal for free. Too bad I got it almost two hours after I ordered it.

Hotel is nicely appointed and rooms are smartly designed but considering the selection in San Francisco, I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Gerard B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,034)

Reviewed June 5, 2010

This was our first trip to San Francisco and what a great hotel. Location was amazing!!! Just a few quick minutes walk to shopping heaven and the cable cars!
Upon check in you felt like a valued guest. We were staying in a Club suite which allowed us access to the Club Intercon. If you want a great experience, make sure you book the 'Club level' option it takes your stay to another level.
The Club Intercon is located on Level 6 and the accompanying suites are high up, however due to a fear of heights they relocated us to level 10, which still had lovely views over SF.
Club Intercon gives you:
> Breakfast - don't expect a full buffet, but you will find scrambled eggs and bacon/toast ; fruit and cheeses; cereal and juices; pastries; tea and coffee. More than enough.
>Complimentary drinks bar 5:30pm to say 7:30pm - Fabulous, before dinner you can enjoy a drink and some great canapes, watch some TV, read a magazine or chat with the staff, special mention to Luis who is just fabulous and very friendly.
>Supper nightcap - Call in after dinner for a Baileys on the rocks - great touch.
>Best part - Business centre - free internet access, to check your emails, print off documents and plan other parts of your holiday/business trip.

The staff of the Intercon SF are helpful, friendly and very professional. Concierge recommended some great restaurants which were fantastic.
The rooms were incredibly clean and housekeeping were courteous and happy.
The ONLY downside was the valet parking cost US $60 was outrageous. If you are not a guest of the hotel , fine, but 3 days of valet parking hurt. US $25-30 is appropriate. You can park at a big carpark around the corner, but it didn't look safe and as we had a rental car we felt it was safer with the hotel.
So in summary:
Plus+
*Very luxurious, modern and clean
*Great staff, efficient, courteous and professional
*Great location, close to Shops and walking distance to Union Square
*Rooms great size and comfy beds and pillows, the topper was like sleeping on a cloud.
*Club Intercontinental - Amazing can't rave enough, takes your stay to another level.

Minuses -
*Valet parking - very expensive
*Noise - be warned SF is a big city and this hotel is located in the heart of it, you will hear sirens often, 1 night in particular must have been busy as the sirens woke us on a number of occasions, nothing to do with the hotel though, but it did impact on our sleep a little. Perhaps the higher you are the less noise you hear.

In Summary a really great hotel, it was a pleasure to return to this hotel everyday after a long day of sightseeing and shopping. And if I didn't stress it enough, the beds are incredibly comfortable, I never wanted to get out of bed!

1  Thank foxyboo

4. staff are friendly
5. close to shoppng
6. delicious buffet breakfast worth every penny

My only two negatives

1. I went to order room service I asked the man on the phone if the hamburger could have a vegie patty substitute, and he thought I was from another planet, and when I asked what vegetarian options they had he gave me the choice of two, a sandwich and a tomato pasta. sad but, true for an international hotel.

2. like others I think the internet fee is not right, but, I feel that way about all hotels that charge internet fees in our times when we have wireless. It is 2010. Feel this could change and would make the experience even more great. Include it in the hotel fee upfront as this should be part and parcel with a stay!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during a quick vacation. Hotel was great, clean, and modern. The amenities were quite expensive though. Internet in the room was $15 a day, parking was $50 per day, and drinks at the bar were also quite pricey. This hotel seems more geared to business travellers than vacationers. We stayed on the 25th floor and the view of the city was fantastic!

Reviewed June 2, 2010

The InterContinental is a great stay right off of Market Street. I found a great deal on Hotwire.com and decided to jump on a 4.5 star hotel. The hotel is immaculate and trendy. The staff were very helpful and even upgraded my room when I asked for a king bed. The room was very big with 2 walls of floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the San Francisco skyline. Everything about this hotel is top notch and it is conveniently located to Union Square and about a 30 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf, or a $12 taxi ride.

My only complaint was the $60 per day parking fee. Save yourself $30 a night and park in one of the parking garages around the back of the hotel. I arrived late that evening and didn't drive around to scope out the options but found several on my way to dinner.

Reviewed June 2, 2010

LIKED: Hotel entrance is about 4 blocks south of Market St., so it is close to Union Square shopping. Rooms are very nicely decorated and modern.
DISLIKED: Outrageously expensive internet access ($14.95 per day). This is absolutely unforgiveable when less-expensive chain hotels are now offering free WiFi in your room, and the room rates are already well over $150 per night. Also, the location is just far enough away from Market that it feels a little dicey at night; not really dangerous, but I wouldn't want my mother walking alone around there.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Myself and 2 colleagues were delayed in San Francisco as a result of the ash cloud and picked up a great deal on Hotwire at the last minute. We were delighted with the hotel - great accomodation, great spa and really friendly staff!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business