“OK Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“OK Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

This new hotel is very clean with great views, however I was dissapointed with the style and design.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
athens, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

Stayed at the Intercontinental for one night at the beginning of an anniversary road trip that started in SF. I had booked a package through their site that included a Corner Junior Suite, parking, buffet (including gratuity), and two trolley tickets. Upon arriving we were warmly greeted and were told we had been upgraded to a King Bedroom Suite which featured a living room, bedroom, two flat screens and 1.5 baths (the half bath had a view of the city) on the 31st floor. There was a room length window seat in the living area that my GF loved. The view was awesome. The hald bayh also had a window opposite the sink. The room was immaculate - minus a bird poop smear on the exterior top of the living room window. We left the room for a bit and returned to find that complimentary champagne had been delivered while we were out. Sweet!

We never used the trolley tickets. However, I did want to point out that we receive pre-printed tickets at check-in. Someone else here posted that they were only reimbursed for the cost of these. This was not the case with us.

After dinner we hung out with friends until well past 2AM. When we returned to the hotel, the valet section appeared to be full. There was a slight communication problem with the attendant (he was nice but did not speak English very well) as we were trying to explain that we had prepaid parking. He was trying to send us over to another deck that was cheaper to save us money. He finally saw my valet tag on my keychain, apologized for the misunderstanding (I think), and took our car. A bit of a snafu, but it wasn't too big a deal.

The breakfast buffet was relatively high end food and delicious. Yogurt in a martini glass, anyone?

We left the next morning. Our room came in less than the estimated price on their site (by $10). Valet was a bit slow - but friendly. We drive out of the city for a couple of hours and I realize that I left my camera in the room (I had been taking pictures of the room before we left). I immediately called and was connected to Gloria in housekeeping. She assured me that they found the camera and could ship it to our next destination. I wound up having to call two days later (due to spotty cell service in yosemite) and she remembered me, playfully scolded me for not calling the day before, and promised to send the camera to my home. It arrived by Fedex the day after we returned. Thank you Gloria, you rock!

I don't usually write reviews, but I feel as if the service I received at the Intercontinental warranted a very positive one. I will stay here again. Check the packages they offer on their site (especially those that include the $50 parking fee) as I found it to be a much better deal than booking a room here elsewhere.

Safe travels...

1 Thank getwarm
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

This hotel was extremely nice and well maintained. It had stylish decor in the common areas and the rooms. The room we had was pretty small, but then again we didn't spend much time in it since we were out and about.

We did not love the location of the hotel. Yes, it is a few blocks away from Union Square shopping. However, it is literally right on the cusp of an "up and coming area" that I'm sure will be very nice in a few years. I'm not saying it's a horrible area, but you do need to be very aware of your surroundings when walking back to the hotel late at night. The hotel is between 4th and 5th on Howard. I would recommend taking 4th to get to the hotel from the Uinion Square area, as opposed to 5th. 4th is better lit than 5th.

All in all, it was a nice hotel, but next time we would probably stay elsewhere just because of the location.

2 Thank GANikki
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

Thanks to the economy, I did get a pretty good rate, and it was a lovely hotel to stay in -- clean, new, modern and shiny, without being sterile. The bed truly was the best I've ever slept in, and they also have the courtesy to provide something besides squooshy goosedown pillows, which I can't sleep on. Thank you!
The location is fine:
Pluses: it's three flat blocks south of the Powell & Market BART station, close to the center of everything without being inside the chaotic fray of Union Square.
Minuses: they're three long blocks, and a bit dicey after dark depending on your comfort level. (Let's just say I wouldn't want to be any *further* South of Market.) And, there is a constant, freakish, galestorm wind blowing at 5th and Howard that will threaten to flatten you every time.
I would definitely stay there again, but at a premium rate I'd prefer to be north of Market St.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank srs-seattle
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

We booked this hotel to be close to the action in and around union square. We paid around £800 for 3 nights - so not cheap by any ones standards.

The hotel is based around 10 minute walk from union square and the tram terminous. We decided to stay in this area to mainly get good access to shopping and resturants. The shopping can not be faulted - but the resturants within stumbling distance are limited in this area - you need to catch the bus or tram up to other areas of the city to get a better choice.

On arrival (taxi around $40 from SFO) we were not greeted by a bell boy and carried our own luggage in to reception (and to the room as we were not offered help). We checked in without hassle - except for the receptionist trying to sell us an upgrade to some chargeable loyalty scheme (not meeted with great joy after 15 hours travelling!).

We stayed at the hotel for a birthday and anniversary trip and as such booked a room on one of the executive floors (top two and offering complementary food and drinks included in the rate (which was great)). When we arrived to the room they had decorated it with rose petals which was a lovely touch - when we got back to the room after dinner there was also a lovely dessert and bottle of sparking wine laid out. This to me is a great sign of a hotel who has taken note of that 'special requests' box on the internet booking site and it was really appreciated.

Despite this being a lovely gesture - there was a thorn in the roses - the rose petals and desert left overs were left in the room for the next 3 nights - leaving rotting food and petals laying about. We eventually put the desert out in the corridor, but had no desire to spend out vacation on our hands and knees picking up rotten petals!

The staff at the hotel also seemed new and didn't really know thier area. The conceirge desk sent us to the wrong car hire location, gave us wrong phone numbers and when we asked the staff in the lounge for resturant recommendations and details of our booking they could not help us and sent us else where.

One of the reasons we booked this hotel was the leisure facilities - to our disappointment the pool was closed as it was broken - and properly broken as it was empty and being worked on and must have been for some time as the hotel offered an alternative a couple of blocks away. Again, while i applaud the hotels ability to arrange an alternaive - its not the same as being able to go downstairs in your dressing gown for an early morning swim. They also didn't mention this on check in - waiting until you were in your room to be greeted by a letter.

and one final gripe - the water pressure. This was non-existant in our bathroom. The shower was more of a drip than a whoosh...

So - very average...some areas seemed really good, but some were very shoddy!

1 Thank D&D_Holiday_feedback
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

I had read previously that this hotel was too sterile and business-like for a romantic getaway; however we were pleasantly surprise with its amenities and luxury. The room was extremely comfortable, and came equipped with bath robes and ample towels and pillows, a giant flat screen television, and a bed that was the most comfortable hotel bed I've slept in EVER! We had a great view from the 20th floor, and the location was convenient to AT&T Park and downtown. I felt safe walking back to the hotel at night, and the hotel staff and concierge were very friendly and helpful.

One drawback to the neighborhood is that there are only a few restaurants in the area that serve dinner late. The area caters largely to the daytime lunch crowd, so most of the deli’s and bakeries close up shop early in the evening. This area is excellent for shopping and Westlake Mall is only 2-3 blocks from the hotel.

arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

Got a great deal on this hotel online. It was very nice. Great access to Market Street, convenient location as long as you don't mind a little snottiness. The girl at the desk that checked us in was extremely rude. Other than that, the stay was great. The concierge was very helpful, directing us as to how to get to various attractions. If you have to park a car, be prepared to pay!!!!! The hotel valet is $50, but we parked our car in a garage off of Market Street for $32. Keep in mind that everything has a charge including using the internet in the business center. Over all nice stay if you can find a deal for around $120 per night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends