“Wow!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, CA
“Wow!”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My husband and I along with our dog took a "California Staycation" at the Intercontinental and had a great time. I am extremely picky and I could not find anything wrong with this place. The room was spotless (no dust anywhere), the bed was dreamy (fluffy pillows, down comforter) and the bathroom was large with a marble sink. In our package we received free valet parking ($50 value), free buffet breakfast ($60 value) and $10 gas card for about $160 a night (with taxes and all the fees).

The staff was wonderful and we had a great time. We will definitely stay at another Intercontinental hotel in the future.

1 Thank moviegirl51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on our first visit to sf. We were initially allocated a room on the 15th floor but the view was nothing great so decided to pay $100 pn for an upgrade to a better room. The actual room we upgraded to had a much better view (32nd floor!) although ironically the room was smaller!!!! The upgrade also allowed us to use the 'executive' facilities on the lower 6th floor - continental breakfast which was really good and evening drinks/canapes. Unfortunately the 3rd morning it felt more like a kids club rather than an executive club and has very limited capacity.
The staff at this hotel were all very friendly and the rooms pretty comfortable.

Swords, Ireland
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stayed in the Intercontinental San Francisco Fri 17th to Sun 19th. Have booked entire stay in California with the IHG group using my company corporate rate. Not cheap by any means - but based on dates and availablity of other hotels not too bad either.

Handy location only a couple of minutes walk from Powell St BART station.

First impression of the hotel - nice and clean but no atmosphere whatsoever. Like checking into a clinic.

Check-in and subsequent trip down to reception to revalidate the keys were less than encouraging - like talking to robots trained by US immigration staff. All I wanted was to get my room key working - not get a 35 point listing of the hotel rules for key re-validation.

On the positive side - got room on the 27th floor with amazing view through floor to ceiling windows. Room was nice and clean with VERY comfy bed. Large flatscreen, desk, armchair - bathroom bigger than average with walk in shower.

Ordered room service Saturday night - very nice food, great presentation and decent portions.

Free newspaper delivered daily.
Toiletries and coffee/tea were not restocked.

All in all a decent place to stay. For business probably one of the best in town - for leisure it just didn't do it for me.

Nashville, TN
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed here April 10th-11th, along with our friends. When we checked in we were upgraded from a Queen bed to a King bed and given the same rate. We were on the 32nd floor which had awesome views of the city and bay area. Comfortable beds and very clean. My only complaint about our room was that you could hear the elevator as it went up and down from floor to floor. I did not hear it with the TV on but when it was quite, it sounded like a high-pitched whistle. Very annoying. We asked to be moved to another room away from the elevator but were moved to a room that was on the other end of the hallway but actually closer to the elevators. I gave up at this point and just went and bought a fan to drown out the elevator. The gym was nice and the pool looked nice and clean but was closed when we went to check it out, late in the evening. We did not eat the breakfast because it was too pricey for what you got. We went around the corner to Mel's diner for a quick, cheap breakfast. The bartenders were very nice, as well as the front staff and the bellman. My only complaint was the elevator thing. Just ask for a room at the end of the hall and you should be fine. Our friends stayed at the end of a hall and did not hear it. Definitely do the Alcatrez tour if you can get a ticket. They sell out fast, but totally worth it!!

Earth
Reviewed April 9, 2009

This hotel is a great choice if you are visiting San Francisco. I booked the CA Staycation package (since i'm from CA) which included valet parking, breakfast for 2, and a 10$ gas credit. I am an IC ambassador so they treated me very well at check in and gave me a good deal on a 1 king 1 bed suite upgrade. The room was very clean and had floor to ceiling windows in the living area as well as the bedroom. Guest services were great.. There were a couple of discrepancies on my bill and they took care of them with no sweat. Valet parking was very quick and the bellhop was friendly. The breakfast buffet was more than i expected.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights and was very happy with everything. I had a corner room so all my walls were floor to ceiling windows. I had beautiful views of the city. There was always staff in the lobby willing to be of assistance. I would stay here again. no complaints!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MeetingProDC
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We arrived at the hotel and despite requesting over two months ago in writing (and paying for) a suite on a high floor, plus calling to confirm the day before, we were offered a room down on the 8th floor (as nothing else was apparently available). After having made our displeasure very clear with receptionist and being sent to a tiny alternate room on a higher floor, we were eventually given exactly the type of room we’d booked, a suite on the 22nd floor. Why this couldn’t have happened at the beginning I don’t know – not the best greeting by the hotel (especially after a long flight)!

That said, the rest of our one week stay was excellent. The concierge (Bill) couldn’t have been more helpful, the doormen were always smiling and facilities like the pool, gym, room service were as good as you’d expect.

If I had any other criticism it would be the secondary costs. The price of their breakfast is simply not worth considering, especially when just 5 mins walk away there is the excellent Mel’s Diner, offering a substantial meal for less than half the price. If you want really top class food while you’re in San Francisco I can’t recommend highly enough either Scomas Seafood (Pier 47, Fisherman’s Wharf) or the classic Tadich Grill (240 California St.).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family