“Great location, recently remodeled, and great hotel”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
east greenwich, rhode island
“Great location, recently remodeled, and great hotel”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Cannot say enough about the wonderful concierge---Bill and his colleagues. I needed a rental car for the day and he arranged everything, over the phone (I called 2 days before my arrival at the hotel). The car arrived on time and I was notified. The concierge on duty gave me explicit printed directions to my destination and then to the hotel where I needed to return the car. I travel a great deal and these folks were truly attentive to all details regarding my "side trip" out of the city. The rooms are lovely and the facilities very good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank dermgoddess
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Dermgoddess,

Thank you for leaving such a great review of your stay. We're so glad that Bill and the Concierge team were able to make your stay extra special. We always strive to go the "extra mile" for our guests and love to hear when our guests enjoy themselves. We look forward to your next trip to San Francisco and we'll get ready for the next side trip you take.

Area Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Just got home after staying at the Intercontinental Howard St. in San Francisco and had to get this review done right away.

From the check in to the check out my entire 4 night stay in a King Corner room (1819) was absolutely perfect.

The room was spectacular. Wall to ceiling panoramic views of the city, and extremely comfy bedding too.

I dined in LUCE and had the poached lobster which was delicious. Big thanks to Joe my waiter for recommending that great wine!

The Concierge staff were so knowledgeable and friendly. They really helped me make the most of my visit.

I know I will be back some day to say hello to some familiar faces. All the best to the entire staff.

Room Tip: Get a corner room if possible. Definitely worth it for the views and spaciousness.
1 Thank John D
Dear Johnnydemerse,

We are so happy to hear how wonderful your stay was! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We're proud you enjoyed not only your guest room but our knowledgeable staff and great restaurant as well. I have passed your comments about Joe onto our Luce colleagues and thank you for mentioning him. We look forward to your next visit and hope it's sooner rather than later.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed here for business in March 2014.

On arrival, the staff were cheerful and helped with the luggage, of which there wasn't much. The Reception Desk came up tops in my book, as they offered me a free frequent stay club membership, in exchange for getting free wifi for the stay. I am sure other hotels have the same plans, but hardly any staff mentions these things usually.

The room was new and large. I didn't have a view but wasn't expecting one either. One thing that I do love about America is that the beds are always large and super comfortable...and this one was no exception...with more than enough pillows. The bathroom was also spacious and had a separate shower area as well, which I prefer.

The location is in SOMA, and I imagine sees a lot of conventioneers, given its location right next to Moscone. The one upside for me was that it was about 2 long blocks of walk from the BART and MUNI transit services, which helped in getting around the city over the weekend. Overall, it was about a 10 minute walk to the Financial District for my meetings, but one could take the train, if feeling lazy. Several large malls and the terminal station of the popular Cable Car line are nearby as well.

I didn't get to experience too much of huge hotel given work hours and also the fact that I have a lot of friends in the area, so was out a lot, but it seemed like most every guest was walking around with a smile on their face.

I used the concierge once, and they were efficient in setting up the reservation...although the meal wasn't very good...quite tasteless actually (Bluestem Brassserie). Oh well.

I would stay here again...although I do like the St Regis and the Four Seasons better, in the area..but they are a bit more expensive.

1 Thank TooshMan
Dear TooshMan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate all our guests comments and are delighted you enjoyed your stay so much. We're very proud of efficient and courteous staff, great location and well appointed guest rooms. We hope you choose us again for your next visit to San Francisco and allow us to become your new favorite in the city.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

After a long drive and heavy traffic I was happy to arrive at the Intercontinental . Was greeted warmly by Steven and the rest of the crew at the valet and check in area. Check in was fast and efficient and our room was ready right on time.
Due to a minor problem on a previous stay Hizkia Larranaga, the guest relations manager made sure this stay was perfect. Wonderful room with a great view. Facilities were well maintained and gym and pool inviting. As an ambassador member I felt I received extra special care. I belong to many hotel loyalty programs but this may be the best; as an ambassador member you get lots of benefits including room upgrades,free wifi and fruit and water in the room when you arrive- all small things but they add a lot of value.
The entire staff I encountered was professional and warm-especially Hizkia. That is why I try to stay at IC hotels when I travel.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Lagu1
Dear Lagu1,

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review of your stay with us. We're delighted you found our hotel to be well maintained your stay perfect. Thank you for continuing to frequent InterContinental Hotels and we look forward to your next perfect visit.

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Lets start with bad :
We arrived by taxi, few bellboys were standing at the door looking at us, they saw we have big suitcases but none of them came and offered taking our luggage. We had to carry everything by ourselves to lobby and to our room. Same goes with taxi - they will not call taxi for you unless you use hotel car.
Check in - girl was very polite and nice to us, but check-in took really long time.

Now good things:
Hotel is pretty new, rooms are all modern and very clean. Our ambassador status was honored, we were given higher floor room with nice view, fruits and water every day.
The location is nice too, just few minutes walk from Market street.
We ate dinner once in their Michelin star restaurant Luce, despite bad reviews on internet it all turned out to be amazing. Food presentation, taste, restaurant service were all worth the price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UneCharogne
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear UneCharogne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review of your stay. I apologize for the lack of service you experienced upon your arrival. We always strive to provide our guests the best customer service and I'm sorry we fell short in this area. I have passed your comments on to our Director of Operations for further review and training. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the facilities of the hotel, our great location and our Michelin star restaurant Luce. We hope to welcome you back again and give you a truly InterContinental Experience.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We were here for a conference and a weekend. It has a wonderful locación quite close to Unión Square, and many good shopping options, it is a short walk to the cable car station and many nice restaurants. The service was great. The concierne staff was increíble. Every sugestión that they gave us worked out quite well.
My room , 14th flor, was really nice and with good space and view. They took into consideration my request of having a room away from elevators and ice machines.
Breakfast was pretty good with many diferent options, good variety of fruits, breads,cereals, etc
I would go back no doubt!

Dear Claudia1234567890,

Thank you for leaving these comments about your stay with us! We're delighted you enjoyed our great location, beautiful guest rooms and friendly and helpful staff. We always love to hear that guests experienced a great stay and will be back. We look forward to your next trip.

Concord, MA, USA
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were here for a conference at the Moscone Center, so it was essentially next door. It's a short walk to the Muni, the Cable Cars and the BART. Really the best thing was the incredible service, especially the concierge staff. Everything they suggested turned out to be wonderful: restaurants, tours, etc. This is not a cheap hotel by any means, but you get a lot for the money.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view. This is a 33 story hotel.
Dear Dave L,

Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review of your stay. We love to hear that our staff has made such an impact on a guests stay and appreciate your mentioning our Concierge team. We hope you get the chance to visit us again even without traveling for a conference.