“Perfect Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami
“Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

In planning our honeymoon my husband and I spoke to the concierge at the Intercontinental Miami, Mr. Botero, to get ideas for hotels in the San Francisco area. He recommended the Intercontinental Hotel on Howard Street. He made the reservations for us and when we arrived they were waiting for us with a bottle of champagne and a hand written note welcoming us and congratulating us on our marriage! The room had floor to ceiling windows that wrapped all the way around the entire corner suite. The view was incredible. The hotel is very centrally located with plenty of attractions within walking distance. You can walk to the trolley that takes you to Chinatown and the Yerba Buena park is around the corner. There are lots of little restaurants surrounding the hotel and the piers are 5 minutes away. Mr. Botero also helped us rent a motorcycle to do our site seeing on and referred us to the Lark Creak Steakhouse where I had the best steak I have ever had in my life. (Unfortunately they only have them in California) :(
Overall we had a terrific stay and could not have asked for anything better. The rate was great, the service was great and the location was perfect. Definitely recommend it if you are in San Francisco!!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a top floor!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Dalia G,

Congratulations! Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate such a special occasion. We are so happy to hear your honeymoon was a wonderful experience and hope to welcome you back year after year.

Area Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The hotel is in a nice location and the staff was friendly and accommodating. If the prices were slightly lower on the things mentioned below, I would add at least one additional star.

Wifi $15/day.
Hotel Parking $59/day. What?
Breakfast at the hotel $30/person for the buffet. Definitely NOT worth it.

You can save yourself some money by parking in the garage directly behind the hotel for $32/day. You will save even more if you are gone most of the day.

There is also a Target within walking distance where you can buy water and other stuff instead of paying the exorbitant mini-bar prices.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobcat9
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Bobcat9,

We appreciate your leaving this review of your stay and we're happy to hear you found our location convenient and our staff friendly and accommodating. We are happy to announce that starting in 2014 all IHG Rewards Club Members will benefit from complimentary WiFi and we hope you take advantage of this great feature. Parking in downtown San Francisco is at a premium as it is with large cities and we do keep our parking costs in line with other hotels in the area. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our buffet breakfast and we hope you will consider staying with us again to allow us to wow you with a truly InterContinental experience.

Indiana
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Revisited this hotel after a less than stellar visit in 2011. The service has improved significantly and the room had no issues whatsoever. Upgraded to a junior suite which was well appointed and functional. The club lounge amenities were acceptable for the rate paid (not Ritz Carlton club level, but also not the cost).
Overall, very pleased with the improvement and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Cardio-2

Thank you for giving us a second try to give you an InterContinental experience. We're so glad we were able to change your mind with our service and amenities.

Park City, Utah
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in October 2013.

One of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. Floor to ceiling windows, great views of the city from the 20th floor. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was really nice, great shower. The staff was really nice with checking-in and out.

The location is great, only 2 blocks from the Muni and Bart station (less than 5 min walk), right by the mall. Union square is only a couple blocks past that. And if anything is further the taxi isn't much.

The only complaint was the with a west facing room and all those windows the room got really hot and the AC didn't keep up. We had to keep the curtains closed for the hottest part of the day and really crank the AC to get it comfortable to sleep at night.

We booked the hotel the day of and it was cheaper than any of the comparable hotels and way nicer than the comparables too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ben R,

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay. We love that you enjoyed our lovely views, updated bathrooms and great location!

sydney
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We traveled as a family to San Francisco, two adults and two children, we booked a double room at this hotel. The hotel does not queen beds only doubles and the beds are not that comfortable, along with the tiny rooms we didn't really get any quality sleep over the four nights that we were there.
I found the front desk staff to be extremely rude and unhelpful. They were completely unapproachable if you did approach you were met with a blank, unimpressed look, almost as if you were bothering them. On one occasion when our door keys mysteriously stopped working, they tried to tell me that it was my fault and that my mobile phone had caused the problem. I didn't even have a phone on me. They fixed the problem by issuing new cards and cancelling the older cards. These new cards stopped working as well, to cut a long story short at one stage we had eight cards in our possession, none of which worked and were unable to gain entry into our room!
Staff also were not aware of the government shut down. I asked one man on the front desk if Alcatraz was open or if it was affected by the shut, he said "what shut down" and "I don't watch the news" and then told me to google it. Alcatraz was unfortunately closed. I would think that by being in the service industry staff on the front desk would have know about such things.
This hotel is not really in a good position. It is too far from Union Square and there are no decent food stores or restaurants in close vicinity. Also, there seem to be a LOT of homeless people in this particular area. On arrival we were advised not to walk outside after dark and to take taxis to our locations.
The swimming pool is OK, however is unheated and is quite small for a hotel of this size. My kids didn't really enjoy the pool area and they love swimming pools.
Overall this hotel experience has ruined the Intercontinental brand for me, there were way too many negatives for the price they charge for accommodation. I expected more and was bitterly disappointed.
My advise would be to stay closer to Union Square, especially if traveling with kids. Avoid this hotel, there are far better options in San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank alekszen
Dear alekszen,

First I would like to thank you for your feedback, your comments are always important for us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that we failed on delivering the service that we strive upon. We would like to get in contact with you if it’s possible to discuss in detail your experience during your last stay. Please contact our Guest Services Manager, Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments and we hope to connect with you soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful staff-friendly and efficient. Check in was easy and fast and as an Ambassador member I was upgraded to club level. The room was clean and comfortable. Everything perfect so far.
When I tried to use my key access to the club lounge it did not work. After the host let me in I was told I could NOT use the lounge.
He said " upgrades to Club level in this hotel do not include use of the club facilities." HUH?
Never had this happen before. When is an upgrade not an upgrade? Embarrassing to be turned away after telling my wife how nice they were in check in to give us such nice treatment.
I called the manager and they then agreed to allow us in- but I felt I had to " beg" for it. Took a lot away from the experience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lagu1,

Thank you for your kind words about our friendly and efficient staff and we are happy you found your room to be clean and comfortable. I do want to apologize for the issue you experienced with our club lounge. We always strive to make our guests feel welcome at our hotel and as such would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay. Please contact our Guest Service Manager Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you soon and we hope to have a second try to change your feelings about our hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Spent three nights at this hotel with my wife during the summer. Comments:

pro:

1. location is close to Union Square but not so close so that no need to pay for the location premium.
2. hotel is rather new and room is comfortable.

con:

1. It promotes itself as a business hotel due to its location, but business center has no staffs on-duty after 6 pm (not 7 as claimed by the website) and you need to do everything on your own.
2. Our bankers sent two faxes to us from Singapore and we received neither. Got the bankers to send me copy of "fax sent" forms to confirm that those faxes had been sent to the correct fax numbers. Hotel and ICH Group never replied my inquiry.
3. Only 1 restaurant and staffs, including chiefs, were more willing to chat with each other than serving customers.

Conclusion: nice hotel being wasted by bad services.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear LLesq,

While I am very happy to learn you like our location and find our rooms comfortable, I'm sorry to hear you found our service to be lacking during your most recent stay with us. I apologize for the discrepancy with our business center hours and loss of your fax. Your experience at Luce is not up to our standard and we would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your experiences. Please contact our Guest Services Manager, Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. We look forward for the opportunity to speak with you soon.