“Great views, great location, great room.”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #35 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Park City, Utah
“Great views, great location, great room.”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in October 2013.

One of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. Floor to ceiling windows, great views of the city from the 20th floor. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was really nice, great shower. The staff was really nice with checking-in and out.

The location is great, only 2 blocks from the Muni and Bart station (less than 5 min walk), right by the mall. Union square is only a couple blocks past that. And if anything is further the taxi isn't much.

The only complaint was the with a west facing room and all those windows the room got really hot and the AC didn't keep up. We had to keep the curtains closed for the hottest part of the day and really crank the AC to get it comfortable to sleep at night.

We booked the hotel the day of and it was cheaper than any of the comparable hotels and way nicer than the comparables too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Ben R,

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay. We love that you enjoyed our lovely views, updated bathrooms and great location!

Area Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
sydney
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We traveled as a family to San Francisco, two adults and two children, we booked a double room at this hotel. The hotel does not queen beds only doubles and the beds are not that comfortable, along with the tiny rooms we didn't really get any quality sleep over the four nights that we were there.
I found the front desk staff to be extremely rude and unhelpful. They were completely unapproachable if you did approach you were met with a blank, unimpressed look, almost as if you were bothering them. On one occasion when our door keys mysteriously stopped working, they tried to tell me that it was my fault and that my mobile phone had caused the problem. I didn't even have a phone on me. They fixed the problem by issuing new cards and cancelling the older cards. These new cards stopped working as well, to cut a long story short at one stage we had eight cards in our possession, none of which worked and were unable to gain entry into our room!
Staff also were not aware of the government shut down. I asked one man on the front desk if Alcatraz was open or if it was affected by the shut, he said "what shut down" and "I don't watch the news" and then told me to google it. Alcatraz was unfortunately closed. I would think that by being in the service industry staff on the front desk would have know about such things.
This hotel is not really in a good position. It is too far from Union Square and there are no decent food stores or restaurants in close vicinity. Also, there seem to be a LOT of homeless people in this particular area. On arrival we were advised not to walk outside after dark and to take taxis to our locations.
The swimming pool is OK, however is unheated and is quite small for a hotel of this size. My kids didn't really enjoy the pool area and they love swimming pools.
Overall this hotel experience has ruined the Intercontinental brand for me, there were way too many negatives for the price they charge for accommodation. I expected more and was bitterly disappointed.
My advise would be to stay closer to Union Square, especially if traveling with kids. Avoid this hotel, there are far better options in San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank alekszen
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear alekszen,

First I would like to thank you for your feedback, your comments are always important for us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that we failed on delivering the service that we strive upon. We would like to get in contact with you if it’s possible to discuss in detail your experience during your last stay. Please contact our Guest Services Manager, Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments and we hope to connect with you soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful staff-friendly and efficient. Check in was easy and fast and as an Ambassador member I was upgraded to club level. The room was clean and comfortable. Everything perfect so far.
When I tried to use my key access to the club lounge it did not work. After the host let me in I was told I could NOT use the lounge.
He said " upgrades to Club level in this hotel do not include use of the club facilities." HUH?
Never had this happen before. When is an upgrade not an upgrade? Embarrassing to be turned away after telling my wife how nice they were in check in to give us such nice treatment.
I called the manager and they then agreed to allow us in- but I felt I had to " beg" for it. Took a lot away from the experience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lagu1,

Thank you for your kind words about our friendly and efficient staff and we are happy you found your room to be clean and comfortable. I do want to apologize for the issue you experienced with our club lounge. We always strive to make our guests feel welcome at our hotel and as such would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay. Please contact our Guest Service Manager Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you soon and we hope to have a second try to change your feelings about our hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Spent three nights at this hotel with my wife during the summer. Comments:

pro:

1. location is close to Union Square but not so close so that no need to pay for the location premium.
2. hotel is rather new and room is comfortable.

con:

1. It promotes itself as a business hotel due to its location, but business center has no staffs on-duty after 6 pm (not 7 as claimed by the website) and you need to do everything on your own.
2. Our bankers sent two faxes to us from Singapore and we received neither. Got the bankers to send me copy of "fax sent" forms to confirm that those faxes had been sent to the correct fax numbers. Hotel and ICH Group never replied my inquiry.
3. Only 1 restaurant and staffs, including chiefs, were more willing to chat with each other than serving customers.

Conclusion: nice hotel being wasted by bad services.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear LLesq,

While I am very happy to learn you like our location and find our rooms comfortable, I'm sorry to hear you found our service to be lacking during your most recent stay with us. I apologize for the discrepancy with our business center hours and loss of your fax. Your experience at Luce is not up to our standard and we would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your experiences. Please contact our Guest Services Manager, Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. We look forward for the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Traveling on business and the location couldn't be more
convenient. But they charge for everything. Overnight parking for $52, fee for package handling (which was delivered late), and a breakfast buffet for $30 for food with no flavor. Rooms were nice but nothing to write home about, and certainly not nice for the price tag all said. Won't be back.

• Stayed November 2013
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Blain I,

Thank you for your candid feedback. I'm glad you thought our location was so convenient for your travel needs. Parking is at a premium in downtown San Francisco and our parking charges are in line with the area, I'm sorry you found the rates to be too high. We do strive for a great guest experience and while we are happy to hear you thought the room was nice, we are disappointed you did not love your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to change your mind should choose to visit us again.

Munich, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Neighborhood : Safe for tourists (at least my personal impression)
Room: Clean, modern, with an awesome view to the bay. Equipped with a coffee machine (non-nespresso capsule system, maybe ask for fresh capsules...).
Breakfast: Expensive but really good!
Service: Very friendly and helpful. World class concierges, thank you, guys!
Definitely my preferred hotel in this part of San Francisco.!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Fulgurator,

Thank you for your comments. We love hear we're "Just Right" for our guests and we look forward to your return.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 2, 2013

One of my favorite hotels in SF and one of the best options you have down near SOMA. Its near the Moscone Center and Yerba Buena Gardens. The hotel is very comfortable and exactly what you would expect from a InterContinental property. The value I got was high since I was able to get it on Priceline for a drastically reduced rate. I would suggest doing so as it seemed that it was pretty easy to target given the star level and amenities. Only thing that kept it from a 5 star was the bed. While comfortable, its not a 5 star bed and to me that is the most important element in the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bspitt
Dear Bspitt

Thank you for continuing to return to our hotel when you visit San Francisco. We're so happy to welcome you back on your next visit.