InterContinental San Francisco
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$175
$161
Mystic Hotel(San Francisco)
$184
$165
$491
$194
  • Pool
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$267
$239
  • Bar/Lounge
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$228
$195
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$269
$259
ComfortInn
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$240
$179
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$229
$269
$408
Hotelpower.com
3,109 results
All reviewsfloor to ceiling windowsmoscone centerhoward streetluce restaurantthe club loungeunion squarecorner roomsouth of marketmodern hotelmark hopkinsmini barconcierge staffhigh floorattending a conferencejunior suitean upgradefew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have written a number of reviews about this exemplary hotel because my family lives in SF and thus I visit here often, but I like my own place. Since this Intercontinental opened in 2008(?) , I made the move from the 'Mark Hopkins' and this quickly became my home away from home when in the Bay Area.I love the location because you can walk to down-town, the Embarcadero, Soma,Market Street,Union Square.....and truly, SF is not a city where there is one central location that is close to everything thus.. this is a great location. I will mention all the new perks and experiences in this review but I want to start by saying that this hotel (like I have found at 'Le Grand' in Paris and the 'Intercontinental Berlin) has found the perfect harmony between delivering 5* luxury with an ease that is incredibly professional and yet lacks any pretension. That is not an easy combination to achieve and I totally credit the General Manager from whom the ambiance of a hotel is cast. The front desk people as always, were warm and friendly and incredibly efficient as were the bellman and the whole reception area staff in general. We were registered and in our room within 10 minutes. As I am a member of the IHG loyalty club, and we had booked a room on the club floor, we were upgraded to a stunning Jr Suite that was bigger than many apartments. The layout was spacious and luxurious with 2 giant flat-screen TVS, one in the sitting area and one in the separate bedroom. Two modern bathrooms, the master bathroom off the bedroom with a bath and a walk-in shower with two sinks surrounded by marble and tile. Amenities from their well-known spa abounded. The smaller bathroom off the LR area was smaller but still offered a bathtub and both of these rooms had splendid views. This hotel is 'Green...green..green' when it comes to energy and materials and the food has 'organic and heart healthy choices' which is a wonderful boon for the business traveler. The bedroom was quiet, beautifully appointed and that Intercontinental bed...they are always incredibly comfortable and the feel of the 'top of the line' linens and that mattress is better than any herbal tea, warm milk or.. Ambien to put you to sleep :) The room had a desk with a full-functioning business center including being able to print and use all your equipment in the ample space. Each room had a settee that you could melt into while overlooking the giant windows and views of the water and downtown and most important...the room sparkled from being clean. Stylish furnishings and all you could want abound. BTW....the cleaning people were also very professional and incredibly nice and went out of their way to facilitate any requests. As I've said before, IHG's loyalty club is one of the best around and you don't need to be a millionaire to be able to take advantage of all the perks that comes with loyalty. We had free waters and fruit and chocolate in our room. We were offered 25% off at the spa and best, we had taken a 'Club room floor' as the Club Room Lounge in the SF Intercontinental, in my opinion,is the best in the U.S. I judge this against my all time favorite which is 'Le Grand's club lounge' in Paris which has a view of the 'Opera Garnier' as you sip champagne. Well...this Club Lounge shows American luxe at its best, a superb club room. First...there is Regina, A Guest Relations Manager. Regina helped me out on my last trip and she once again made this trip even more special as she truly gives you the sense that she wants to care for you while at the hotel. She is very genuine and is a great 'Ambassador' for the..well..'Ambassador Club'! Any problems? She can solve anything. The Club Room overlooks all areas of the Bay Area and the sofas and tables are comfy and chic. My favorite time to come up to the lounge is for the breakfast. That, is without doubt, the best breakfast and choices I have experienced in any 'Club Lounge'. Regina situated at her desk near the entrance to the club, shared a good laugh with me as I hurried in for breakfast and as we greeted each other I said "You know...I always want to get to the home made muffins and the cheeses and eggs and such...but it is hard for me to get past the 'Salmon Bar'. There was a pause and we both laughed as I had voiced what I mentally call the area that is generously full of Smoked Salmon with every accruement that you'd want. Regina laughed and said "Salmon Bar? Well that is a new one!" We laughed again and I explained that I called it that because it was my favorite part of the breakfast and what other club room has its own area just for the salmon and all that goes with the delicacy.BTW... It is TOP grade smoked to perfection and I have to watch myself when it comes to how many trips I make to the 'Salmon bar' :) The fresh juices and more conventional eggs and bacon are wonderful,too. All in all....I would have a wonderful meal and then not really eat again until dinner. The staff in the club room are attentive without being overbearing and are also incredibly friendly. The room is quite a deal as you could spend your day returning for soup and breads for a light lunch and then a full Tea Service in the afternoon and then....the my other favorite time to visit. Having a drink and some of the wonderful appetizers as you watch the sun sink over the SF skyline. I am telling you..this hotel exudes a sense of well-being every time I am here! They also serve desserts after the cocktail period but we never made it back for that. The lobby has an amazing vibe that is not too noisy and not to staid. There is an area for everyone. A glass of Moet while waiting to meet someone? Sit by the bar at one of the comfy tables or chairs and watch the world pass. If you are in the mood...you don't have to move and can order a delicious dinner from the wonderful bar menu. We did not dine , this time, in the Michlein starred 'Luce' restaurant but we have enjoyed the gastronomic experience a number of times. Never have gone? Give yourself a treat for fusion-Ca-N. Italian.
Everyday I would use the fitness center with its updated gym and the large 'salt water' pool. Salt water is such a great way to enjoy a pool, especially if you are allergic to chlorine. Very thoughtful of the hotel. The ambiance of the pool area and the gym with outside sitting is almost resort like and I took at least an hour and a half each day to aerobicize and swim. But oh the Spa! It prides itself on being the best Spa in SF and it does not disappoint. THis was my third time at the spa and I had the pleasure to receive the most amazing massage from Jesus (if you like deep tissue...ask for Jesus!) and a scalp treatment. What a 2 hour 'Calgon minute'. The spa and its staff is 'en super forme' as always. Last..I like to talk about the air of the hotel itself. Some hotels manage to create an atmosphere while you are there, whether for business or pleasure, that gives you a sense of being cared for and a feeling of well-being. Along with my other favorite Intercontinental's, this hotel has found that recipe for success. It is what I call 'The Intercontinental Experience'. If you look and are aware when you are at this hotel, you will experience it as well

Room Tip: Join Loyalty Club and book a room on the 'Club floors'
1  Thank LeTerrible
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had a great stay at the InterContinental San Francisco. The front desk was efficient and courteous. The concierge was very knowledgeable about the local area, in particular what areas to avoid walking in, since the hotel is located only a few blocks from a seedier part of SF.

The room we were assigned was lovely. It was bright and large and while it overlooked Howard street, it was not noisy from the 8th floor. It was extremely clean.

My main complaints are that the Wifi was terribly expensive and that there was no free business center usage. In most of the hotels we've ever stayed at, if the Wifi is not free, at least there is a computer in the business center that offers free internet/printing.

The hotel is situated in a very convenient location close to the Moscone Center, City Target, restaurants, transit and Union Square. However, be aware that walking 2 blocks in the wrong direction on Howard can lead you to a part of town that is a little scary to walk around in, particularly at night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Perhaps if I weren't on a business trip this would have been a terrific experience, but the service is abysmal. To clarify, the front desk was terrific, but room service was painstakingly slow, the Operators take at least 5-10 minutes to answer phone calls and don't seem to be able to direct the calls to the correct locations to address issues in the hotel, and I had to hunt down the valet to give and get my keys. I feel terrible providing this review since they did upgrade me to a lovely suite, but I wasted SO much time waiting on their staff that I will not stay here again for business travel. ps - the shampoo was half full in my bathroom!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear RoamingMenehune,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 8, 2013

After staying at a terrible hotel two nights prior, checking into this hotel was beyond a breath of fresh air. The room was lovely, view was great, bed was comfy, everything was very clean and Ken behind the bar downstairs was fantastic. I would absolutely book this hotel again and I will recommend it to all of my friends visiting San Francisco.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights with our first trip to San Francisco. Clean room, well appointed, and receptive front desk. Concierge was very helpful in all respects. Any room omissions were quickly rectified and restaurant recommendations were stellar. We will certainly return on our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a high quiet room