“Great hotel, fantastic service!”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as tourists for 3 nights.
We were greated by lovely staff upon check in & had a free upgrade as it was a special occasion.
Room was huge, lovely & clean. We also had a personslised letter & champagne waiting for us which was a nice touch. All the staff were friendly and pleasant.
Wifi was a bit pricey $15 a day. We also felt we were a bit far away from the attractions as tourists so we walked alot!
Restaurant looked nice too, but we didn't have a chance to eat there.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 19, 2013

So, let me start by saying, i did not want to go into the city this past weekend. But it being my birthday, and the husband had planned all of this behind my back, I went along with it. So, we got into The City early in the morning because we had appointments. TJ had scheduled an early check in. Our room wasn't ready at 9, so we went out and about. So we went out, but got a call at 10:00 am.... our room was ready. We got our 33rd floor room with a great view. Jasmine at the front desk was so friendly and accommodating. We also stopped in the lounge to grab a drink and something to eat before going out.

The room was excellent. What I love about the Intercontinental rooms is that everything is designed so well. The light switches on the lamps are red, so you can really see them (no hunting for the switch) and there are electrical plugs on the side of the bed as well as right on top of the desk. As with every hotel room, the remote was iffy, but I'm used to that by now....

The bathroom was clean with a separate tub and shower. The shower had instant hot water and great pressure. As usually, with some high rise hotels, the air conditioning wasn't the best. The room wasn't hot, but didn't totally cool down either. What was also so great is that we got back to our room, and there was a birthday cake, compliments of the hotel.

The hotel is in a GREAT location and I have to say EVERYONE was incredibly friendly and helpful. After this stay and the stay in the Berlin hotel, the Intercontinental is becoming my favorite chain.

Room Tip: Note that rooms with a bay view will have the sun for a great deal of the day, especially morning.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stay at the Intercontinental every year when I'm in town for conference season and it's never let me down. The location is perfect for the business traveler, right by the convention center, close to Starbucks and shopping, and a short cab ride to the train station and tourist attractions. It's always been clean and very affordable given the relatively good location. Definitely would never pause to recommend this hotel. Will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A great hotel overall. The location was right downtown and walking distance to a mall, shops and bars. The wireless worked very well in the room and the in room coffee machine was a bonus.

The morning breakfast buffet was fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CNDTravel
Reviewed August 16, 2013

As a birthday gift to myself, I booked vacation to San Francisco. Was my first stay at the Intercontinental on Howard. I was very pleased. All the comforts of home and more. The rooms are well appointed, staff courteous, concierge knowledgeable and personable, free wifi, and short walk to BART. The Luce restaurant has fabulous cuisine.

My next trip is in October to this city and I plan another stay here!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a perfectly fine hotel, nothing fantastic but all the basic requirements. We found the staff attentive and helpful. The only flaw is location. If you are attending something at the Miscone Center, it's your place but otherwise, it is in a derelict part of town a far walk from pretty much anything you would want to see. Given that cab service is so terrible in SF, I'd choose a hotel closer to Union Square.

Room Tip: We paid extra for an "upgrade" thinking we'd have a larger room - nope, only got us ac...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel San Francisco in May 2013, just after Memorial Day. I got an amazing group rate of $155/night, so to me, my stay at this hotel was a STEAL. I was given a room with an incredible view of the bay and the baseball stadium. My room was fantastic, beautifully appointed and clean. I also liked that the room had a Keurig machine, as there is no coffee bar in the hotel (though there is one just across the street). The hotel was just a bit further from Union Square than I expected, but still easily walkable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business