“Lovely Hotel”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #37 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hubby and I had a lovely stay at the Intercontinental Hotel. Our room was up on the 22nd floor so we had a great view of the bay although there is a lot of construction going on in the area. It's located right next door to the Moscone Center and easily accessible on foot from the Powell St BART station. We didn't eat at the hotel and both mornings walking the near by streets to go get breakfast we walked by a lot of homeless people, dirty, littered streets and very smelly...that's what we disliked most but that's San Francisco for you unfortunately. Union Square is but a 10 minute walk where its very lively and bustling with people. The staff at the hotel were all very helpful and went out of their way to greet us. We used the gym on our first day and for the most part had it all to ourselves but we didn't get to use the indoor pool or jacuzzi even though I had planned to but we were to busy doing fun things. I don't know if I will ever visit San Francisco again but if I do, I will definitely check out this hotel again.

Room Tip: We requested a room on a higher floor and away from the elevator and our request was honored.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,056)

Reviewed April 29, 2013

First time at this property - great location. Moscone is next door ( caveat: conventioneers can be loud); SoMA is around the corner, Yerba Buena and Market and The Embarcadero are a short walk away.
Rooms are clean, very comfortable beds.
Breakfast, that was a mixed bag?
First day, Sunday, they ran out of creamers and service was SLOW. The following days, service improved - not sure of the issue,

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had quite the adventure at the IC San Francisco. Imagine our surprise when the hotel was turned into a state of the art security facility as the President of the United States arrived. Although we were somewhat inconvenienced, it's not every day that you get to work out in the gym with the POTUS!! The accommodations were phenomenal. The room fantastic, floor to ceiling windows and the ability to soak in a tub while looking out onto the city was fabulous! The IC has a top notch club lounge, and Louis should become the official ambassador. He epitomizes customer service. Always insuring that the lounge was well stocked. He knew that I liked crushed ice, so he made sure each evening that I had crushed ice available in my room. How proud he was of his job and I do not believe in all my travels that I had ever met anyone who was determined to make our stay memorable! The food was delicious, the champagne and other beverages served chilled to perfection. I would highly recommend the IC San Francisco. You will not be disappointed! While it's location gives one pause, we as mother and daughter had no problems walking to and from the hotel to restaurants in the vicinity. The spaghetti carbonara from the Italian restaurant across the street was comparable to that I had in Europe. That was a first!! We stayed 7 days and enjoyed every minute of it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Intercontinental SF is an awesome hotel. I absolutely loved it. The hotel is pretty new -- it opened in 2008. The rooms are spacious, clean, new, bright and modern. The lobby and bar area are chic and bumping in the late afternoon and evenings. The place almost has a feel like a "W". The buffet breakfast, although slightly expensive ($28), is pretty extensive and will leave you stuffed. I went to the restaurant, Luce, for lunch -- the food was great and reasonably priced. It's actually one of SF's top rated restaurants. The hotel is also very close -- 1 block -- from the Moscone convention center. It is also walking distance (5-10 minutes) from Union Square, Market Street and a BART station (Powell).

I've stayed at numerous hotels in SF in and around Market Street/Union Square. I think it is important to be at least a couple of blocks away from Market Street and Union Square to be a safe distance from all the SF riff-raff. At the Intercontinental you are not constantly getting accosted by the large SF homeless population -- which seems to be concentrated around Market Street and Union Square.

I would definitely stay at the Intercontinental again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Spacious and comfortable room, beautiful view of the bay, conveniently located - cannot ask for a better combination when searching for accommodations in San Francisco. Staff are also very helpful from recommending local restaurants to giving directions to obscure bike shops. Will keep coming back to this hotel for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed 1 week at the Interconti in San Francisco. Overall a very nice experience. We had a Junior suite with a corner view facing the Golden Gate, on the 17th floor. When you book, make sure to request a room as high as possible if the view is important. Even on the 17th floor, the bay was completely masked. We decided not to have breakfast at the hotel, so can't comment on that. Used room service and the food was excellent and fast.
When I compare the value for money (this is not a cheap hotel) with the other top of the range hotels in San Francisco, than this is actually good value for money.
Recommended if you want to spoil yourself.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors for great views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was back again at this hotel. The last visit was 4 months back. It is a nice large hotel close to Moscone convention center and Union Square. All services were very good from front desk, hotel maids, to bar staff. Location is convenient: 1 block from convention center and 2 (large) blocks and a half from BART train Powell station. This time I got a room "upgrade". The large and modern room appears to be the same total size as the non-upgraded room I stayed last time. As far as I can tell, the "upgrades" include being on Club Floor (key card required for access), much larger bathroom with a separate bath tub and nicer bath amenities (Aroma Therapy). Unfortunately, larger bathroom means less space for living area. As we don't use the tub, it has no value to us. Floor to ceiling windows let in lots of light and a good view from the 32nd floor. The view especially during sun rise over the bay is quite spectacular. My room package included Internet which is fast and reliable. I didn't have breakfast at the hotel this time but had drinks and dinner at the bar which were very good. All in all, it is a solid 4 star hotel. I had options to stay at other hotels but I chose to come back here and probably will do so again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple