“Worth the price”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Worth the price”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is actually pretty reasonable compared to other SF hotels. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and most offer good views. The service is excellent and the accommodations are numerous. The location leaves something to be desired as there really is not much around, but everything else about this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice large hotel close to Moscone convention center and Union Square. All services were very good from front desk, hotel maids, to Luce restaurant staff. All met my expectation. The maids were really nice. I wanted to work in my room one day so I told one of them that services were not needed for that day. She asked if i needed fresh towels or anything then rushed to get her colleague to empty the trash. That was a nice touch. Location is convenient: 1 block from convention center and 2 blocks and a half from BART train Powell station which I took to and from SFO. Note that these blocks are large so one should take that into consideration. The gym is well equipped but morning rush was packed with people. I couldn't get a thread mill or a bike. I went later in the afternoon when it was nice and empty. The lap pool looked nice but I didn't use it. The room is large, modern, and full with nice amenities. Large windows let in lots of light and a good view. The view especially during sun rise over the bay is quite spectacular. The bathroom is large and beautiful. I asked for a high floor room with a view and got one on the 28th floor. My room package included Internet and continental breakfast. Internet is fast and reliable but expensive if paying a la cart (although comparable to same hotel class). I upgraded my breakfast to include hot items from the buffet ($10 extra + tax). Breakfast was nice and fresh with lots of items available. All in all, it is a solid 4 star hotel. Highly recommended.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
La Jolla, California
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Loved the location and the views. Easy walk to Union Square, Embarcadero. Breakfast buffet was included in the rate and was quite good, as was room service. Problems encountered included repeated difficulty with door keys not working, shower went from almost scalding to freezing with great difficulty finding a warm option (to be fair, we did not report this to maintenance so it might have been fixed if we had). 12th floor was noisy (street noise), so take that into account but not unusual for downtown hotel. I would stay there again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
NY/Westport/Provence
Reviewed November 13, 2012

No. I do not work for Intercontinental ! As a constant traveler for work and pleasure around the globe I have stayed at the many wonderful hotels of this top chain and I am also a Priority Club Platinum/Ambassador Member of Intercontinental. I am just finishing up my 6th stay at the exemplary San Francisco member of this chain. I have always loved this hotel as I must visit San Francisco often, I have not stayed at another Hotel since the opening of this Intercontinental a few years back. This trip proved to be one of the best. The hotel has hired some fresh new faces and a number really go the extra distance that makes you feel rewarded for your loyalty. The staff in general is great but I must mention Regina who works in 'Guest Relations' . When I contacted her about needing some help, she went above and beyond and is quite the ambassador in keeping with what I call the 'Intercontinental Experience' I expect to see her rise in this organization over the years. Chloe at Reception and that wonderful concierge staff were terrific. I stayed on the top club floor and my room was just perfect. I had been upgraded to a room with an amazing view of the bay and the room itself was what I would expect of this hotel. The room and bathroom are top-of-the-line in comfort, luxury and it shined from being so clean and for the care that is obvious in the upkeep of the room ( An important point that other big chains should take note). Modern, spacious bathroom with separate area for bathing or taking a shower and very nice amenities! The Flat-screen TV and large closets and all the perks of being a Priority member really makes you feel pampered. This chain is known for its amazing beds but the one in my room here in SF was unreal. So comfortable that I was asleep in two seconds every night. A top standout for this hotel (besides the Michelin star restaurant) is the amazing Club room. In my opinion, and Ive been in many, this might be the best in the U.S. (Le Grand in Paris is still my favorite because of the view of the Opera and the 'Pommery Champagne') The staff are friendly yet there for anything you desire. I find them to be very thoughtful which is an added bonus. The views and the room itself is 'Tops' and from the wonderful breakfast all the way to late night brandies and special spirits along with wonderful appetizers and desserts, you just have to accept the fact that you will be hitting the gym when returning home. I actually love the fitness center, pool and 'top SF rated spa' at the hotel and always make use of all three With all that I have mentioned above, you might understand why I use the phrase 'The Intercontinental Experience' .
At this hotel, it is a 5* plus experience. As always, I will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LeTerrible
ICSF-Management, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback! We would like to thank you more directly; if you don't mind, please send us your email address.

Thank you for your continued loyalty,
ICSF Management
Conroe
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I would stay here again, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The hotel is very nice and well kept. The gym facility was nice, and the hotel was very accommodating to the runners. (I was there to run Nike Women's Marathon.) The hotel is located within walking distance to Union Square and public transit, which is good, but it is right on the edge of the bad part of town... You will be fine as long as you don't get turned around.

I found housekeeping lacking for a hotel of this caliber. Our room wasn't kept up as well as I excepted it to be, and the coffee was not replaced daily. We had to call everyday for more coffee and coffee condiments (ie creamers). We asked that this be corrected the first day, but four days later, we were still calling... not too bad, but annoying and not the type of service you expect.

The concierge on duty one day was horrible and unhelpful, but the next day we got a very helpful young man that went out of his way to help us find a restaurant that served a decent hamburger and delivered. Kudos to him; he really went out of his way.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a better view. I also think they have bay views... we had a view of the m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tkc22
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that housekeeping and the concierge did not provide consistent excellent service. Please feel free to contact our Director of Guest Services, Shehani DeMarseille, for any questions/concerns regarding past or future stays:

shehani.demarseille@ihg.com

Warmest Regards,
ICSF Management
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Location, location, location. To experience the best of any city where you stay is so important. Intercontinental Howard St is perfectly positioned, walking distance to transport, restaurants and shopping. Hotel room was spacious, well appointed and modern. Concierge team were excellent, nothing was too much trouble. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Fire station on Howard St so expect a siren or two at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seneca Falls
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Intercontinental San Francisco is a very nice, modern hotel and conveniently located. Unfortunately, I found the service to be far from what I expect from a high-end hotel. Lots of little failures: in-room coffee not replaced, dead battery in the bathroom scale, daylight savings time ended, but nobody reset the clock, ice bucket not emptied...
Nothing that spoiled the stay, but at these prices I expect expect exceptional service.
There's a nice restaurant in the hotel, but it is very expensive. You can do much better nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business