“Expected More”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Expected More”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here three nights for a convention. Check in went well, except that once I said I was a priority club member, he said he would give me a better room than the convention had booked. It turned out, it was a regular room, and other convention goers had rooms on higher floors with better views. The room was quite plain. There was a stain on the carpet. The hotel is new construction, so the walls are very thin, and you can easily hear your neighbors in addition to hall doors slamming. When I went for a walk while waiting for the room to be ready, I made a right turn out of the hotel and quickly realized I was in a bad neighborhood. I did like the comfort of the bed and the little light to indicate do not not disturb and to make up the room. I often want to come back to the room early in the morning, and it's nice for the room to be cleaned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ICSF-Management, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are sorry that our hotel did not provide consistent excellent service. Please feel free to contact our Director of Guest Services, Shehani DeMarseille, for any questions/concerns regarding past or future stays:

shehani.demarseille@ihg.com

Warmest Regards,
ICSF Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I really liked the InterContinental. It has a great location within walking distance of BART and other public transport options. The views are excellent with the scary floor to ceiling windows (scary if you stand very close and have a fear of heights!). The accommodations are excellent, with thoughtful attention to detail options in the room.

When I first arrived I was just too tired to go out to eat, and just wanted to sit and watch TV so I ordered a pizza from a nearby chain. When it arrived a polite staff member contacted me on the house phone and asked if I'd like the pizza sent up or would I like to come down and collect it. I asked for it to be sent up, and they actually sent a security person up with the delivery guy who supervised him for the security of me and the other guests. I thought that was a nice thoughtful touch.

The beds were great, the room was modern and tasteful. They even had the good sense to make space in the mini bar for personal items, not like those hotels that warn you not to keep your things among the overpriced fare that they want you to buy.

The bar looked beautiful, the restaurant has won numerous awards including a coveted Michelin star and Wine Spectator's award of excellence.

In short, it's polished, clean, modern, fresh, well staffed, and provides the level of service and accommodation that one would expect at this price point. During my same visit I stayed in a similarly priced hotel owned by another chain, and this wiped the floor with the other.

Get a high floor with a nice view and you can't go wrong. Although just remember if you are facing east, the sun can be a bit intense through those big windows for an hour in the morning, although obviously you can close the shades or curtains.

Room Tip: They have views in various directions, so talk to the staff about securing a nice view. Don't l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
phx
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I’ve stayed here twice over the summer and the hotel is great. Floor to ceiling windows and very nicely decorated. The club rooms are great, and the views or some of the best..... great business hotel or couples. It gets very busy during confrence's.

I also stayed in a JR suite and couldn’t be happier as they are on the end of the building and views of the bridge and water in the distance.

Club lounge is great, wines and nibblies are also quite nice. You pay for a premier location and room, and it is well worth the price. (Much better than the Hiltons, Marriott ECT, definitely in a separate category)
The lounge has both an indoor and outdoor section on the 6th floor, so that is a plus. Staff in the lounge is very good, and recognizes you after the first day.

One of the best IC's out there! For me, I prefer this to the Mark Hopkins(since this is a new build).....although Mark Hopkins is nice as well if you like history and nostalgia.

Room Tip: Lounge(if you drink) and high floors a must
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Oviedo, Spain
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The only word I would use here would be AWESOME and if I dont do it its merely because of its location. Not that the location is bad, but not as good as others, that simple.

I was going to complain about the price of the Valet parking, but hey, you are in SF in a 5* hotel and they take and bring the car very fast, yes, its expensive but, what can you do? I still think 52 USD is way too much.

Room was GREAT, big and very comfortable, bathroom was huge. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Room due to my Platinum status and I can only say good things about this hotel.

The lobby, breakfast, absolutely everything was great.

Views from the room, the lobby bar, the club lounge....

I would go back.

Definitely.

Room Tip: HIgh Level Room to enjoy the views and if you can, Club Floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel, both in October, and I have to say the hotel is situated in an excellent zone and, although it is expensive, the service and cleanliness of the rooms is amazing. You wont regret to stay here, and, since it is in the heart of San Francisco, you should expect it to be expensive. The concierge is great and great valet parking...

Room Tip: Get a room in a high floor, the view is spectacular...
1 Thank Ricardo A
California
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We went to San Francisco with the kids for the weekend. We have stayed at other Hotels in the past but wanted to give the Intercontinental a try. We're glad we did. This Hotel is very nice. We had a room on the 33rd and top floor. The view was unbelievable!! The room was good size, we booked a King Suite so the kids slept on the very comfortable pull out sofa. The Hotel is clean, the staff is very friendly and it is close to everything we wanted to do. Very much within walking distance from BART, the shopping mall, Union Square, great restaurants etc. The only hiccup, was that our room wasn't ready by the 3pm check in time. We didn't get in until almost 4pm. Otherwise everything was great. I recommend this Hotel to anyone who is considering spending time in The City.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors in order to get a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Spend four nights in Intercontinental San Francisco,was really disappointed with the way i was handled during my stay and i am suppose to be their loyal guests(Ambassador status). I arrive at the Hotel main door with my hands full (luggage and bags)and,no doorman or the bell man came to assist me.I make my way to the front desk, and there is a an Ambassador check in counter,i stand there for a good 15 minutes no one came to get my check in done. i finally got an attention to get me check in, was told my room was not ready and was told i was given an upgraded room, will call me once the room is ready and the front desk told me will not be long. So i waited for 45 minutes,sitting at the lobby while waiting the security keep looking at me as if i am some bad guy.i went to the front desk again, after pressing on the few buttons, i was given the room. To my surprise, the so call upgraded room is not upgraded at all, is the price my company pay for it.(corner King room). Again no assistance was given to me to get to my room, while i see other guest have someone assign to bring them to the room. On check out I ask for assistance to bring my stuff down to the lobby,after waiting for 15 mins no one came lucky for me an Housemaid come to help me to move my stuff to the lift lobby. At the front desk, when i check for the final bill, i was charged for breakfast and ask me did i use the breakfast coupon, i told the staff i did and give me the look as if i did not use.
That was the last straw, I will not stay in that hotel anymore, there are other great hotel in the bay area. But the staff at the Luce is great....very helpful and smile all the time to the guest.

1 Thank CK2012_12
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that the Front Desk and Staff did not provide consistent excellent service. Please feel free to contact our Director of Guest Services, Shehani DeMarseille, for any questions/concerns regarding past or future stays:

shehani.demarseille@ihg.com