“Outstanding New Property Near Convention Center”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“Outstanding New Property Near Convention Center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

If you're in San Francisco on business, attending a convention or needing to be anywhere near downtown and the Embarcadero, then this hotel should be on your short list. It's very new, with nicely appointed rooms, large bathrooms, and very friendly and helpful staff. You'll find shoe horns, laundry bags, terrycloth robs and slippers in the closet. It's got a terrific indoor lap pool, Jacuzzi spa and workout room. There's in in-hotel Spa which seems very nice although very expensive. Which leads me to what you'll pay to stay here - lots. Look, this is San Francisco, one of the most expensive cities in the world; this is a five star hotel; you're going to pay at least $300 a night. If you can get it for less, go for it. NOTE: I wouldn't say this hotel or the surrounding area is particularly romantic; so it's not necessarily the best place for a romantic getaway, but it is right in the heart of the financial district so it's great for business.

Room Tip: Of course the higher you go in this 33 story hotel, the nicer the view will be. You probably want...
2 Thank SDTripster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is the first time I feel like I was steered wrong by Trip Advisor reviews. This hotel was dirty at every turn, and I took a few pictures to prove that I'm not exaggerating. The building itself is gorgeous. We received great service from the doormen, the concierges and the maintenance staff (when the shower head fell apart). The floor to ceiling windows gave us amazing views and ambience that I haven't had in any other hotel room (15th floor). We didn't use any other hotel services so the positives end there. We walked alot to save on transportation costs and walking to the hotel at night is a no-no. There were a couple of times I felt like I was in peril and just about everyone we talked to, including the hotel staff, told us that it is not safe. The neighborhood is gross and there is a lot of dog poop around the sidewalks. The carpets in the hotel are dirty, probably from cheaper vacuums or vacuums that are not being emptied frequently. There is a patch of chewing gum on the carpet right in front of the concierge desk that has become one with the rug and it's a nasty turn off. The shower and window curtains have stains and the quality of towels is the lowest I've had since I stayed in a Motel 8. Toilet paper is also of lower quality. The inside shower curtain had mildew and there was dirt and hair in the tub. There was an old french fry on the carpet by the bed that we discovered upon arrival. When we checked out the desk person did not ask us how the stay was. I called 511 from the room to find out about public transportation and they charged us $1.50 for the phone call. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are staying here for the views, get a room higher than the 15th floor. We tried to get a high...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear SeattleD19,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Intercontinental on business and was very pleased with all aspects of my stay. The hotel is very contemporary and offered great service. The rooms were spacious, especially considering the location, and were very well proportioned. The hotels location makes for easy access to many San Francisco attractions as well as other venues. There are a number of great restruants in the area within waking distance.

The bar area was a bit smaller than I would have expected. The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment considering the hotel and was overpriced for what was offered. I would definitely stay here again when in downtown San Francisco.

Stayed May 2012
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

Good location ... GREAT location if you are going to the convention center.
Well above average service ... not quite as good at the Taj Campton Place's service, but still very good.
EXCELLENT VALUE ... the room I got (Junior Suite) was enormous, and the rate was quite reasonable even for a regular sized room. Floor to ceiling windows on 2 whole sides of the room (which was a corner room).

However, here were the bumps along the way ... they are no deal breakers, but it's just what prevents me from giving 5 stars instead of 4 stars:

When I arrived, there was no doorman or anyone to help me with my bags or to welcome me to the hotel.

The TV only showed half the channels (half were just black, the others were static-ky)... it was only after I manually turned it off and back on, then off and on again, that it started to work properly... but after about an hour, it happened again and I had to manually re-set it again.

When I ordered Room Service, (a burger), one of those individual sized Heinz Ketchup jars (you know the ones I'm talking about?) was actually OPEN... and not just open, but USED. Whoever collected the jars from the previous person somehow thought this was not opened and re-used it on my tray... but it was CLEARLY used, as the cap was dirty, the plastic around the top gone, and 2/3 of the ketchup in it gone. Needless to say, it was a bit of a turn off, especially when eating a burger!

Also, I was feeling a bit under the weather and was glad to be able to "sleep in" ... until my 9am wake-up call. And at 8am (and hour before the wakeup call) the housekeeper came by and knocked on my door several times before trying to come in. I got up and asked politely if she could come back, but as I stumbled back to the bed, I couldn't help but wonder if they should try to cross-reference the wake-up call times with the rooms they are trying to make-up so as not to disturb those who are clearly still sleeping.

I didn't find the room to be particularly "luxurious" other than its size. Nor were the bathroom appoints particularly "luxurious" .... but it was a very very fine accommodation, plus the fact that the room was huge.

Overall, I give 4 stars for its great value, location, above average (though not blow-me-out-of-the-water) service, and accommodation.

I did NOT give 5 stars due to lack of attention to detail compared to truly 5 star hotels, insufficiently working TV, and giving me someone else's used food condiments during Room Service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JLM2009
Volpago del Montello, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

I was at 22th floor and the view was really amazing. The grappa bar is really original.

Room Tip: ask for the highest floor
Rancho Murieta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed at the Intercontinental for a conference. Arrived late evening and requested a high floor away from elevators. We were put on the 27th floor but right by the elevators but it was fine...no noise at all, which was our concern. The hotel is very clean and the personnel were friendly and accommodating. When I returned from my morning speed walk a staff member handed me a bottle of Evian as I came through the door. Very nice touch. The hotel is a five minute walk to Westfield Center and Union Square. I would stay here again.

Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental. It was comfortable and clean, which is really all that matters, but there was nothing special about it. Judging from the room alone, it could have been Hilton or the Marriott. There was nothing I found particularly defining about it.
I understand that the hotel is around 3 yrs old, and considering it was built next door to the convention center, I believe it was built for mostly business travelers in mind. The pool is just a lap pool with 2 lanes, so not that much room for a leisurely swim. The hot tub was nice but always filled with people.
The ladies at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The concierges were also friendly and helpful in person. I did call down and ask for Thai food, and they suggest 2 places. When I looked them up on yelp, one of them had a very low rating from the city board of health!! A quick review of health ratings for the restaurants that they suggest, would make them better equipped to recommend decent, healthy restaurants.
The real shocker at the hotel was parking. It is $65 per night!! I asked them if they were going to clean it, Perhaps it should get a bed, a robe and slippers too. Valet understood the shock on my face and was willing to direct me to a close parking lot for half the price, but there is absolutely no need to charge that much for parking.
Overall, a business traveler hotel, don't bring your car!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Stephanie S,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are glad you liked the hotel location and hope you liked the clean and comfortable room accommodations. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,