“Great stay in SF” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Beach, California
“Great stay in SF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

Having previously stayed in more historic hotels in SF, it was an interesting change of pace to stay in a new and modern hotel, with very large rooms and modern amenities. The staff was very friendly. I arrived fairly early in the morning. so the only room they had available was on a lower floor, but I still got an slight room upgrade for being a gold member. There was still a decent view from the corner window, at least, but we were facing away from the city. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was almost as large as some hotel rooms in the city, with a separate tub and shower. The location was excellent, only a block behind the shopping center, which is located on top of the Powell Street BART/MUNI station. There is really no reason to have a car in SF, as almost everything is within walking distance, or at least a short ride away on the MUNI, making their outrageous parking fees irrelevant (and all hotels have absurd fees in the area).

I do wish luxury hotels would join all of the much cheaper hotels in offering free wi-fi, but there is free wi-fi a block away inside the shopping mall, so it is not a big deal. I also do not like the mini-fridge sensor, as I prefer to buy my own beverages, rather than the overpriced junk they supply. But none of my complaints are at all unique to this property, all comparable hotel chains run the same scams, since many of their customer are on expense accounts or have limitless budgets.

I will not hesitate to return here on my future visits to SF.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank downinit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Grants Pass, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed at the Intercontinental San Francisco last year for the first time and were overwhelmed with the hotel itself and its top-notch staff. As part of the Ambassador Priority Club program, we received an immediate upgrade to a beautiful room on one of the top floors during both trips. In both years, the Club lounge experience was exceptional, both for the quality of the food/drink and the superb attention by the Club staff. Special kudos to Shajina, Regina and Luis for their unfailingly cheerful demeanor and professional attention to detail! We really can't say enough about you! Needless to say, I'll be renewing my Ambassador membership and will be staying at the Intercontinental San Francisco during my next trip to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Membership in the Ambassador Priority Club program includes a free room upgrade, free Internet, and...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank rogue_hiker
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Great hotel, great service, one of the best vacations "of my life", my family had a great time and every single interaction with the staff was great, they all were helpful, corteous and exceeded all of our expectations, looking forward to comeback soon!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank arminator1124
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

After our short flight from Los Angeles we got immediately a taxi and drove to the hotel. From the highway the big modern blue building was visible. Every driver knows it as one of the best in San Francisco !

A few weeks in advance of my stay I emailed with the concierge, Mr. Bill Sutton , to ask some information about San Francisco and tours to Alcatraz. He quickly answered all my emails and he was so friendly and helpful, I just couldn’t believe this !

We arrived at the hotel after a 20 minutes taxi ride but we still had to wait for a friend of mine so we did not check in yet.

I then went in the mean time to the Concierge Mr. Sutton and he was so friendly he could have been a friend of me.

I forgot to book the Alcatraz tickets online so Mr. Sutton did everything he could do to arrange tickets for that day. All Alcatraz tickets were sold out online but he made some calls and we booked a combination of Alcatraz and a city tour in a bus/truck . Thanks to the concierge, Mr. Sutton it was a great trip that day !

We checked in at around 2PM at the Ambassador check in on the right with Timothy. He was also friendly and gave us a room on the highest floor, the 33th floor. We actually booked a room with part points / paid so I was surprised we got a room such high. We got free internet as ambassador members but otherwise it would be very expensive.

We went to the elevator and actually then noticed we had the top floor but the button did not work from the 33th floor but then we noticed a card reader and then it worked ! It was quite funny, a full elevator for the 6th, 11th, 24th floor and we got out on the 33th floor.

Our room was surprisely very big and modern ! We had probably a suite. We entered in the living area with a desk, sofa, small dining table, big TV, a toilet with sink and a closet with safe. Then we moved on to the bedroom which was also great and beautiful ! There was a big bed, big TV and a closet with an umbrella and bathrobes. There was also a massive bathroom with big bath, rain shower, toilet, again a TV, 2 mirrors and many towels. This is I guess the only hotel I stayed in with really soft towels ! We had also a FANTASTIC view over San Francisco and even the Golden Gate Bridge ! There were 2 separate air conditioning system but one was doing a bit strange.

Even after 10 minutes I found it a great hotel ! I got then a phone call from housekeeping and the reception if the room was okay, and sure it was ! They also delivered a bottle of water and fruits / nuts.

The next day the lady from housekeeping was doing our room when we came back from Union Square and also she was extremely friendly and helpful !

The hotel is ideally located on 888 Howard street with many restaurants and shops in the neighborhood. Behind the hotel is the Westfield Mall with Bloomingdales and other shops ! Union Square and Macy’s is only 5 minutes walking, just like the Cable car which is very close at the hotel. Also the F-line tram is just around the corner of the hotel.
At the end we checked out with JD and was also very friendly !

All staff members were extremely friendly, the Concierge, Mr. Sutton is an example for everyone ! Probably the best hotel in San Francisco or even California ! Location, Service and Staff were fantastic ! Next time I will stay here again !

Thanks again Bill !

Room Tip: Be an ambassador member
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Max W
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the San Francisco Intercontinental July 6-10 and loved it. The hotel is modern, stylish, and very comfortable. It is centrally located which makes it easy to get around on foot or by transit. All the staff we encountered were courteous and friendly, especially Jasmin at the front desk who went out of her way to make us feel welcome and offer suggestions about where to go.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank firefly_333
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

Great service, friendly people, very polite and ready to serve. We havea 4 year old son and he had a great time, they treated him like royalty. All the staff went out of their way for everything we asked. Definitely a 4 1/2 star hotel working towards a 5.
Food was great, close to everywhere we wanted to see, by taxi of course.
The rooms were tastefully decorated and very clean. Shower was wonderful. Beds were comfortable and staff took extra care to make sure everything was clean and to one's satisfaction. We had a room with a view of the bay.
We are going to make it a family tradition to go there every Fourth of July week.

Room Tip: ask at desk when checking in for room view wanted.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ward B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

The hotel was my first InterContinental experience and I left with a favorable impression of the brand.

I'd always perceived the IC as generic, professional, and a tad boring - though in reality this also translates to a reliable, pleasant and comfortable choice. If you're after a cool vibe, strong and edgy decor, something quirky and unique to San Francisco, the IC will disappoint as too safe and bland a choice.

If you're after comfortable rooms with a pleasant, modern decor in a very central location, with a spa, gym, indoor pool and jacuzzi, pleasant looking bar, separate restaurant, all accompanied by friendly and courteous service, you can't go wrong with the InterContinental San Francisco. (And unlike the sister property you don't have to scale hills to get there).

The hotel has a corporate feel; being adjacent to the Moscone, I imagine it would be an excellent place to stay for business, meetings and conferences. The front office seemed to cope well with the high volume of guests when I was checking out, but the bellman's team seemed overstretched - the desk was unmanned and there were several full luggage trolleys in the lobby being attended to. Despite the rush, the team did notice me standing at the desk and I was attended to in a sensible amount of time.

Having my own agenda, I didn't interact with the Concierge but I know the IC as a company pride themselves on their concierge service.

I did not explore their dining and bar products (too many iconic SF places to fit in) but I appreciated the complimentary chocolates, fruits, nuts and water which were thoughtfully delivered.

Overall a pleasant stay, and a hotel i would recommend to those seeking a reliable and modern hotel in SF.

Room Tip: Book a King Room - for $20 more than a standard room you can enjoy great views of the city or the se...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo