“Amazing experience”
Review of Spruce

Spruce
Reserve with OpenTable
Spruce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #221 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spruce
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked a private room for a celebration dinner at the recommendation of a friend. None of us had ever been to Spruce prior, but they certainly topped every possible expectation with sumptuous food, unbelievable wine list, 5-star service and beautiful room setting. Simply put, it was flawless!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I had been wanting to try out Spruce after walking past it on so many weekends. We couldn't secure Saturday night dinner reservations, but were pleasantly surprised to see people eating in there when we walked past on Sunday morning. They've only been open for brunch for one month. The decor is very tasteful, yet still inviting and not pretentious. The prices are on the high side though. Our waiter was very sweet and friendly, but very difficult to understand though his broken English and thick Asian accent. That wouldn't have been a problem, except that we ended up ordering a dish we probably wouldn't have if we could have understood him when we asked about it. My husband ordered the French toast, which was a very thick slab of brioche cinnamon bread with a lovely & delicious fruit topping. I'm pretty sure it was rhubarb and strawberry, but I forget what the menu said. My dish, although good flavor, wasn't really my style for breakfast. I ordered the golden gnocchi with poached egg and braised romaine hearts in a broth. The poached egg was the softest runniest poached egg I've ever seen. I actually couldn't find it at first, because it swam at the bottom of the broth, blending in completely. The serving size of my whole dish was very small too. We ordered a side of thick cut bacon and scrambled eggs, and they were nothing to rave about. If you want a fancy, very expensive, refined breakfast that is more about gourmet flavors than breakfast food, it's a good choice. We left feeling a bit discontented. We should have gone to Park Chow, where the breakfast is always delicious, gourmet enough, and hearty. We won't do Sunday brunch here again, but maybe we'll still give dinner a try.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Spruce should be highly recommended for their relaxed and cozy atmosphere, tasty food, and excellent wine recommendations and services (that is particularly important for foreigners). I enjoyed the dessert Beignets very much, superb! Rib eye and lobster were excellent. The wine specialist could recommend you according to your budget and she made an excellent choice for us. However, they forgot our call for taxi that made us stayed there for an extra half an hour. Anyway, I would not complain much about it for it is indeed a really nice place to stay. Of course, you have to make reservation earlier (one month ahead).

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a lovely dinner at Spruce. The space is tastefully decorated, and the tables are spaced far enough from each other that conversations can be private. The service was impeccable, with good suggestions for wine and food alike. The cocktails were unusual and great. Our starters (mushroom/chestnut soup, a divine scallop special, tagliatelle) were all wonderful, and the entrees (duck, pork, cod) were delicious. There were many flavors and textures going on on every plate, and we enjoyed the variety. The suggested wine, a very good Chianti, went well with everything. My husband liked his Honduran coffee so much he asked for the specifics to try to find some. The 2 desserts we split among the 4 of us were a great finish. It was pricey, but well worth it, and we had a lovely time.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

A friend recommended that we dine at Spruce while in the city for a few days vacation. Great choice overall. Ambiance is discrete, formal but not stuffy. For a change I could actually converse and hear our friends from across the table. Our server was friendly and professional - helped us through a wine menu with amazing boutique choices. Our party had a sampling of entrees all which were delicious and well presented. Highly recommend.