“Very nice”
Review of Spruce

Spruce
Reserve with OpenTable
Spruce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #193 of 5,737 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cross street: Spruce
Chico, California
“Very nice”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I met some friends/business associates at Spruce for dinner. From beginning to end we were taken care of very well. We had brought a couple bottles of wine that the restaurant treated with respect and our waiter enquired how we wanted it served. Our service was prompt, but not overly so, and our food was delicious. My husband did say he would have liked more food and the portions were not overly large. That's always a plus for me, not so much for my husband. I would definitely return.

1 Thank Super593

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Ramon, California
“Good food, better service”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Celebrated my mom's birthday here on 2/9/13. The food was, for the most part, delicious however, a little overpriced. The appetizers our party had were perfectly cooked scallops, sweetbreads with a poached egg and burratta with fruit which were all outstanding. The celery soup was pedestrian. The main courses were a mixed bag. The pork was cooked perfectly, the dorade and short ribs had great flavor but were over done just a touch. The strange part came with the bavette steak. One came out perfectly cooked, medium rare and was delicious. Another that was supposed to be medium rare was more medium. I guess it's a coin flip. The highlight of our meal was he dessert! We ordered one of everything for the table to share and they did not disappoint. Some that stood out were a chocolate cake with a roasted banana ice cream, an apple tart with salted caramel ice cream, a parsnip cake with white coffee ice cream and an amazing set of beignets.

What sets Spruce apart from other restaurants is the level of service. It seemed as if they had a server for each diner in the restaurant. The level of service was prompt without seeming rushed. The only reason Spruce didn't get 5 stars was its drink selections. I found it odd that the bar didn't have Grey Goose or Bacardi. The wine list, although diverse, contained different vintages without offering a wide range of choices. Wine was extremely marked up as well, would recommend spending the $30 on corkage.

Los Altos, California
“Outstanding in the neighborhood”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The food is innovative and high quality, served by an impeccable, very knowledgeable staff in a lovely atmosphere that was crowded but did not have sound bouncing all over every surface, so we could actually have a quiet conversation. I'd pit this against any downtown upscale restaurant.

Pleasanton, California
“Quiet and refined neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a tucked away neighborhood restaurant that is probably better for dinner than lunch. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, chairs are comfortable, and quiet level low which makes it nice for a leisurely dinner.The service is excellent. We tried both the porkk tenderloin, sturgeon and duck. All were excellent which rich but subtle flavors. Every good as one of the better known downtown restaurants. Would return. Wine list is extensive and expensive.

• Visited February 2013
“Great place, a bit over priced”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Dined at Spruce on a Sunday night. The menu items looked great and did not know where to start. I finally decided on CHARCUTERIE, a perfect shareable plate. Followed by FISHERMAN’S MUSSELS. I love mussels especially in beer or white wine. These were cooked perfectly and I soaked up the Fume broth with my baguette. Know that this is very expensive, but I would suggest to try it if you are willing to pay.

• Visited January 2013