“Great place, a bit over priced”
Review of Spruce

Spruce
Reserve with OpenTable
Spruce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #165 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spruce
“Great place, a bit over priced”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Dined at Spruce on a Sunday night. The menu items looked great and did not know where to start. I finally decided on CHARCUTERIE, a perfect shareable plate. Followed by FISHERMAN’S MUSSELS. I love mussels especially in beer or white wine. These were cooked perfectly and I soaked up the Fume broth with my baguette. Know that this is very expensive, but I would suggest to try it if you are willing to pay.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
“The worst Michelin starred restaurant I've been to.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Restaurant like this makes me wonder how restaurants receive their Michelin star. The food was poorly prepared, overly seasoned and cooked. The service was absolutely horrible. This was the worst Michelin starred restaurant I've ever dined in and for sure will never return again.

We ordered:
Seared Scallop: Overcooked and smelled fishy. Fresh scallops give out scent of the ocean. Theirs gave out scent of dead fish.
Veal Sweetbread: Overcooked. Very chewy and hard to swallow.
Black truffle risotto: The risotto was way too salty. Thankfully they shaved the truffle very thin to allow truffle flavor to come through.
Lobster: Overcooked and came soaked in overpowering black sauce. I could not taste the lobster. Just a bunch of chewy stringy something that was hard to swallow.
Waygu hanger steak: Way too stringy and one of the pieces had a huge white string in it. We asked a waitress who walked by about it and she totally brushed us off by telling us that it is normal to have something like that in a steak, just like the marble in Fillet Mignon. Yes. Seriously. She said those exact words. I mean, we just came back from French Laundry last week, and went to Coi yesterday. We know what marble in a steak looks like and it does not look like this, okay? And then she simply walked away. Absolutely the worst service that I've seen in a Michelin restaurant.

I just cannot believe that a restaurant with this kind of poor service and horrible food would be on Michelin's 1-star list. This is an embarrassment to other fine dining restaurants in San Francisco.

I will not return to this restaurant and will make sure all my friends and family avoid this one. There are just too many other restaurants that serves much better food and provide much better service in San Francisco.

6 Thank MustLoveTruffle
Ojai, California
“Trying wayyy too harrrd”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Ok, the good,

Beautiful, comfortable and hidden in a residential community, giving it that 17th feel in Paris.

Couldn't wait to leave and get hone to my hotels cookie by the bed.

The not so good,

Chef must be reading every California cuisine book tryimg to emulate what it means.

Menu made no sense

Service was slow

Food pairings with sauces had my palate and head spinning.

2 Thank Mocurlylulu
San Francisco, California
“Fancy”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Nice spot for a very nice lunch or an even nicer dinner. Located in the Laurel Heights district, with lots of beautiful overpriced shops, this is a quiet and refined place to eat. Never disappointed.

Visited January 2013
Berkeley, California
“Weak Food and Service”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Spruce has been on my list for some time, and I was looking forward to it. This was a huge disappointment. We had an open table reservation, and were ushered back to a back, smaller room. (The land of misfit toys.) OK, this happens, what next? We (a party of 4) ordered two bottles of wine, and waited. Eventually, the sommelier came out and showed the two bottles to confirm what we ordered. Then the bottles were taken away. Time passed. The bottles were opened away from us (and I personally think this is a major faux pas to open bottles away from someone)...time passed. Then, wine was poured. I ordered a salad and lobster. The lobster was partially raw. (OK, I'm a wimp, didn't send it back, and ate it.) My prediction is that the restaurant is out of business within 20 months.

Visited January 2013