“Very good Chinese food in Chinatown”
Review of China Live

OR
Ranked #229 of 6,497 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: "Restaurant of the Year, 2017" - EaterSF Our menu features seasonal Chinese cuisine and changes daily based on availability of the best quality ingredients, which are non-GMO, organic and gluten-free whenever possible. Our ground floor features the Oolong Cafe, Market Restaurant & Bar, and Retail Marketplace, and is a must-visit San Francisco Bay Area culinary destination. Please join us!
Reviewed August 6, 2019

This is an upscaler restaurant with a market feel (you can buy t-shirts and chopsticks and sauces). This is not your everyday Chinese take-out place and the food is a good fusion of different Asian dishes. All are prepared well and the food is delicious.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (550)

Reviewed August 6, 2019

Visited during a weekday with two friends. No reservation, no wait. Delicious Betelnut Minced Chicken Lettuce Cup, Sweet & Sour Glazed Pork Ribs, Scallops in Abalone Sauce, Yangzou Fried Rice with pork and Shrimp, and the incredible Sichaun Blistered Green Beans. Server requested gluten free preparations if available. Will make China Live a regular stop on future trips to SF. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: July 2019
Doug C, Guest Relations Manager at China Live, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2019

Thanks! We print our menu daily and are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 5, 2019 via mobile

Sophisticated menu offering a wide range of Chinese food. The place itself is very nice with large spaces making it airy and non-cluttered. The restaurant offers several stations where one can see food being cooked. The menu has a lot of selections for sharing. The crispy pork belly cubes are special to say the least. I think lunch is more budget friendly and less crowded because dinner reservations can be hard to get.
Overall recommended culinary experience

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 4, 2019

Ate at China Live while visiting San Francisco. Didn't have reservations. Was seated at the counter where the dumplings were made. It was great watching the chefs make the food. Server was very helpful with our selections. I'm sure traditionalist may not like China Live because it is more modern cuisine, but we loved it!

Date of visit: July 2019

So glad you loved it - thanks!

Reviewed August 3, 2019 via mobile

Went with reservation as a single diner. Happy to be put at counter "chef's table" at this very big, busy techie Chinese emporium. I was ignored. Any menu advice was rushed and server was disinterested. Couple on my right were comped for some reason. Had great service. Couple on my left came after me and was served before me. Waiter told me to ask my neighbors for soy sauce etc . Had to get up and walk to liquor serving station for a glass of wine. Lastly, what server did suggest was so ordinary. A professional well run shop interested in good food, that ACCEPTED my reservation, does not perform like this. My mistake. Dont make it yours.

Date of visit: August 2019