“Great Dinner before the Show!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Market Street Grill

Market Street Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Market Street Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,096 of 5,627 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: 8th Street
Transit: Bart: Civic Center Station; Muni Metro: Civic Center, K, L, M; Muni trolley: F line
Gilbert, Arizona
“Great Dinner before the Show!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

A great little restaurant right across from the Orpheum Theater. I ate here with my family before we went to see Wicked. This was my third time eating here, and every time I have enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. I am not a high-end diner and to eat at a place like this is a once in a great while event for me. So perhaps a more discerning diner might think otherwise. All three times I have dined here I have gone with some sort of seafood entree. Every time I have left happy and satisfied. Since I dined with my family, a couple of my children ordered from the kids menu. They do have some nice choices for the kids, and my wife and 4 daughters were all very happy. We enjoyed it so much we returned for breakfast the next morning and they had some wonderful choices complemented with some fresh fruit. That with the warmth of the fire place that we were seated next to, made for a wonderful morning. The wait staff is very attentive and nice. The restaurant faces Market Street with the Historic F-line with the old Street Cars that go by as you eat. Not a view of the ocean or bay, but I enjoyed watching the city go by as I sat and ate with my family. Thanks for the excellent meals!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Beaverton
“Limited menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great preparation of food and reasonable prices; nice ambience with gas fire. The menu changes a bit daily so you are bound to discover something that appeals to you.

Visited January 2013
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

While heading to the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco for the production of the Lion King we knew that we needed to get there early enough to get dinner also. Trouble was, where to eat? Walking down Market Street we say all the regular places, fast food, not so fast food, then we came upon The Market Street Grill.

This place is not what you would think of when you think grill but I have to say that the service was great. They asked us if we were there for the show. With an affirmative response I feel that they were extra diligent to make sure we got across to the theater in time.

The decor is very nice with a focus on older San Francisco. It's what you would expect from an upscale but not fancy restaurant. I ordered the Tarragon Citrus Chicken and it did not disappoint. My husband ordered an appetizer of Crab Cake and the Seafood Fettuccine. With the first taste of the crab cake he was speechless, which doesn't often happen for him. He said the taste was fantastic and slyly passed me a taste. He was right, it was fantastic. My tarragon chicken was delicious and unlike many restaurants the portions were reasonable and for the first time in a long time I was able to finish my dinner. The mashed potatoes were very flavorful and the vegetables were perfect. My husbands seafood dinner was just what he likes.

While we seldom spend a lot on dinners out I would have to say this one was worth it. The waiters were very attentive and quick to fill our water glasses. I would go back to this place in a heart beat.

• Visited January 2013
Skokie, IL
“Very Nice Food with Friendly Staff and Nice Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I went with my daughter and a couple of students to the Market Street Grill last week and was quite pleased. The restaurant is located in the entryway of an old hotel whose lobby has seen better days. The lobby and adjoining bathrooms are quite a bit run down.

However, the restaurant does not seem run down at all - it is in a lovely room that is very relaxing, with nice lighting and a fireplace, as well as a really friendly staff. The food was great, although nothing that seemed exceptional. For starters I had a salad with great greens and a wonderful vinaigrette dressing. For an entree I had the potato-encrusted trout which had very thin crispy potato shreds surrounding a very tender and flavorful trout filet. The green beans were also excellent, although I was not enthused about the rice underlying the entree.

Overall I would say a good solid meal in a restaurant with great atmosphere and a friendly/helpful staff.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great bar conversion area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We met a few friends for drinks and appetizers one nite. The bartender was very attentive. The food was good and wine selections nice. Second nite we did wine and beer. Same bartender remembered our preferences. Good times with good service.