“Wait till it becomes a Westin!”

Park Central Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Wait till it becomes a Westin!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2007

My room at the Argent Hotel was atrocious. I didn't realize it was being converted to a Westin, so the whole lobby area is blocked off due to construction. The staff and bellhops were very nice, but when I ever got to my room, I was stunned. I stayed in room 1921 and it was a dump. In college, I stayed at youth hostels in Europe for $20 a night that were cleaner. There is NO WAY this hotel should be categorized at 4-star.

There were big black marks and scratches all over the walls, doors and moldings. It looks as though a dog had chewed the corners and floorboards. The rug was dirty and dusty and there were black marks all over the linens and duvet. The bathroom wasn't clean either, there was mold and black marks all over the tub, not to mention that there was some sort of sauce on the bathroom countertop.

I stayed here just for two nights, on business (thank god), so my
biggest concerns were location and the ability to access the internet. I will have to say that the Argent's location is perfect, at the corner of 3rd and Market, so you're just a few blocks away from high-end shopping, such as Bloomingdale's. But the internet access was terrible!

First of all, I must comment that the desk was the cheapest piece of furniture I've ever come across. The drawer kept popping open everytime I sat down and the outlet plugs were tucked away underneath (amongst dirt and dust) the desk along the floor, which was difficult to get to. I had to climb under the desk and push the legs over to get to it. The ethernet cord they provided was actually broken, it didn't 'click' into my laptop, so it kept sliding out. I do travel with my own, but since the jack for the internet was near the electric outlets, it wasn't long enough (most 4-star hotels have plug outlets either in the desk or in
the wall ontop of the desk and they have wireless internet in the
rooms).

Normally, I would have complained, but it was the end of a week-long business trip and I was so busy/tired that I just didn't bother.

I love the Westin, so I would consider staying here when it's converted over, but in the meantime, travelers beware!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank ire_ger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

I stayed at The Argent in August 2006 for a week of sightseeing; it was my first visit to San Francisco. The location is very convenient for tourists, since the cable car is just around the corner, and you can get to many attractions just by walking. All the best shopping is right up the street around Union Square, and there are great restaurants in walking distance. The run-down Tenderloin neighborhood isn't too far, so you have to be a little careful where you wander.

The hotel has a nice lobby, and the room was fine. The floor to ceiling windows are really nice, and the view of the bay was beautiful. When we first got to the room, the air conditioning wasn't working very well; we called front desk, and within 15 minutes the problem was solved. On the negative side, there were a few small stains on some of the furniture and throw pillows. Also, the bathtub was showing a little age. Neither of those things bothered me, and the positives definitely outweighed the negative.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

Very upper scale hotel with a fantastic price! Very sound proof rooms with great views of downtown San Francisco. Concierge was always very nice and helpful. Room was very spacious and luxurious.

• Liked — How nice the hotel was for the price.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank drickyt
Kiwi on Tour
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2006

We stayed 2 nights here and loved every minute of it.
Our room had views of the Golden Gate bridge to our left, Alcatraz in the centre and the Bay bridge to our right.
Great place to stay.

• Liked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a room on the higher floors
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2006

This was a corporate stay for a company function in the city. Although we checked in at 7:30pm (checkin is at 3pm), they said they were overbooked and had no rooms available (the company had blocked out rooms weeks earlier), and that we could "wait at the bar." When I asked if it was true that not a single room was available, the clerk said, after pausing, 'yes.' Thus began a string of inconsistent answers. As we had to change for a formal event that was starting immediately, I said it was unacceptable and insisted on a room. Then he said there was a room ready for us, but they had to clean it and it would take at least 1/2 hour. Then the clerk told us to change in the gym! We said that wasn't acceptable. Suddenly, a smoking room became available. As this was also unacceptable, we asked that they at least waive the high $42 parking fee if we had to wait, since we technically had paid for the room since 3pm. When we asked for the manager, a non-smoking room miraculously became available. No apology or explanation. Needless to say, we were not happy with the service, even if we eventually got a decent room with some serious prodding. On the plus side, the daytime front desk staff, housekeeping, and valet were very nice. The night desk clerk and manager seemed to needed some training in customer service. The room itself was nice although the bathroom was a bit dated. Overbooking and the lack of apologies would not surprise me at 2 star hotel, but for a 4 star I expected better service and a more forthcoming staff.

• Liked — Nice room, great location
  • Disliked — Difficulty getting our already-booked room, poor customer service at front desk
  • Tips/Secrets — Keep pushing when clerks tell you the room isn't available
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank hungrycat
Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2006

Our family (with two children, ages 12 and 14) stayed at the Argent Hotel for the first time. We reserved a room through Hotwire and received a very reasonable rate. Also, when we checked in, we received a free upgrade in rooms. Our room was on the 19th floor and the view was spectacular. We had a view of downtown and could see Kearny Street all the way to Telegraph Hill. The window is from the floor to the ceiling. I get a little bit of vertigo in high places but this did not bother me. My children loved the view. The room and bathroom was clean and was in good condition. In fact, the hotel looked like it went through a recent renovation. The beds were a little small but very comfortable.

Parking at the hotel is overpriced ($40-plus) but there is parking nearby at Fifth and Mission Streets ($23 for 24-hours). There are countless restaurants nearby from fast food (Quiznos, Subway, Del Taco) to high class. There is also a liquor store/market next to the hotel on Third Street.

I highly recommend this hotel if you desire to stay near Union Square.

• Liked — The view of the city from the room
  • Disliked — Overpriced parking
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Bruce58
Fresno, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2006

Stayed weekend of Dec. 16th in Rm. 2105. Gift from our son who has stayed here many times on business, so valet parking was included. Beautiful hotel, lobby inviting and warm (beautiful wood accents), helpful friendly staff and great location. Right around the corner from Market Street, short walking distance to Union Square (all lit up for Christmas, just beautiful), and the new HUGE Westfield Shopping Mall on Market.
Nice view from our room's floor to ceiling window. Looked toward bay, and down on Mascone Center grounds, surrounding streets and to the right we could see the architectually beautiful huge Marriott Hotel. We enjoyed a very quiet and comfortable stay. Room size nice, non smoking, with King bed. Two comfortable upholstered arm chairs with ottoman, beside round table with lamp. Also, a nice size desk with chair in room with phone near window, adequate standard , regular tv and a mini bar that we we did not look in, or use. Coffee maker with pre-pkged Starbucks Coffee in bathroom/sink area.
There is also a Starbuck's right across the street that we frequented. We did not eat at the hotel, but Jester's restaurant looked very nice. They do serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. We did notice signs stating this hotel is to become a Westin Hotel after the first of the year.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Enjoyed everything, hated to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for upper floor room... 21st floor, or higher would be even better!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple