“Great Weekend Stay !”

The Park Central San Francisco
Ranked #65 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin San Francisco Market Street February 15-18 for a long weekend getaway in San Francisco. I could not have made a better choice of where to stay. The check in process was quick and the front desk associates were so inviting and welcoming. The room was flawlessly clean. The room was so quiet and comfortable. A nice perk is the Starbucks Coffee with a single unit Keurig. The coffee came out piping hot. When we called for additional pillows and coffee out request was filled within minutes. The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. The location of this hotel is perfect. A block from the streetcar and there is a Starbucks right on the corner. After a long day of touring the town, we were just tired and came back to the hotel to eat dinner. I must admit we, at first, were skeptical thinking it would be just standard "hotel food." Not at all. We had one of the best dinners. The Caesar salad was excellent. The brushetta was dead-on, not garlicky or oily like many orders of brushetta can be. The steak was cooked to perfection and tasty.
I will definately stay here again when I am in San Francisco.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RoseIC
Write a ReviewReviews (3,713)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I really did expect more from this Westin. When I went to the Westin in Maui, it was great! But this was a disappointment. First of all, if its an expensive 5 star (at least by rumors) hotel, there usually is a friendly staff and a regular looking bathroom. The views were OK, but I was really surprised with the room. The bathroom was dark, and the toilet looked like a public bathroom toilet. The beds were not-that-great and overall the room was small and sorta feels like your in a prison or cage. The valet parking is extremely expensive, I think $30-50 and day. The staff wasnt rude, but not friendly either. The only good thing about this hotel is the awesome location. Its right in the middle of the city, with great restaurants around the block and Union Square right out the door.

Room Tip: Rooms infront of Union Square have a good view, but at night there is some noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank travelingforever127
Ashley D, Manager at The Park Central San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us at The Westin San Francisco Market Street. We appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for sharing our convenient location with our future travelers. San Francisco is a very congested city with limited parking; however, I can assure you that our parking charge is very comparable to other hotels in the area. Thank you for your insights regarding the guestrooms, your feedback is helpful in determining where future renovation monies should be spent. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Westin, where have you gone?

I will break this down as best I can. Hopefully this makes sense and alerts those that need a centrally-located hotel that is not-that-expensive with an expectation for this property.

I drove in and it was easy to find (thanks google maps!).

The valet parking attendant didn't open my door or my wife's door. He stood there like he had better things to do (or look at). Fine. No problem. These things happen.

We started pulling out our bags from the trunk. No one was there to help or offer us a hand. None of the bell captains could be found. Not that it mattered since the valet basically just wanted to get back to staring at whatever he was staring at. Should have been friendlier. He is the first point of contact as set the tone for the guest. He did a lousy job. Unless this is just the kind of property this is going to turn out to be.

Short line.

I have checked-in to hundreds of hotels, motels, youth hostels, convents, pensiones, and vacant parking benches (ah... the simpler times) and I have never been greeted with such indifference. I had my photo ID, credit card, and SPG card as well.

"Last name?"

Whoa. That's how I am greeted? Ok.

I hand the cards to the gentleman with NO name tag (short, short hair and a beard). He grabs them from me. OK.

I am advised there is a GYM on the 4th floor. I am advised that I am entitled to free wi-fi. But not in a nice and welcoming way. Just matter of fact-ly stating these things much as they are written here. (Here's the part that got me a little pissed...)

He then tosses the cards back at me. He doesn't hand them to me, he TOSSES them AT me. Rude.

It had been a long drive and I may have been a little tired, but I don't think I need to get my SPG preferred member card, ID, and credit card tossed back at me like I'm at a card table in Vegas. I expected more.

I didn't bother asking anyone anything for the rest of the trip. I did, however, overhear while walking through the lobby other guests complaining as well of the unfriendly staff at this location.

I will say that the Valet and the Front Desk staff should seriously consider taking a cue from the extremely friendly and attentive housekeeping staff. Always greeting us with smiles and a friendly ""Good morning" or "Good afternoon"...something. The even waved from down the hall. Maybe they get SPG points for being nice. The management might want to consider that for the Valet and Front Desk staff.

Someone must have said something. I sent my wife to ask for a late checkout. She was greeted professionally and the front desk clerk was very nice and informative and seemed genuinely glad to have help her with the late checkout request. He is the tall African-American gentleman.

At all other SPG properties we have ever visited, we have always been greeted by the staff no matter their position on the property... plumbers, housekeepers, groundskeepers, towel clerks by the pool... Always friendly and attentive service. Something that we use as a deciding factor when selecting a property and that keeps us as loyal guests.

I may reconsider our relationship. There are always OTHER properties and OTHER reward programs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rubten

We are appreciative of guest feedback as it is a direct source into areas in which improvements are needed, so for that we are very thankful. I have shared your comments directly with our Hotel Manager Simone, and she would be delighted to speak with you directly regarding your helpful feedback. What you experienced at the Front Desk and Valet is neither standard nor is it acceptable. Should time allow, please contact Simone directly at sharms@westinsf.com.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The staff was kind and helpful and the rooms were in tip top shape! I got upgraded to a room with a great view of the city just simply by asking...no extra charge! The gym was also very clean and had a good amount of nice new Ellipticals and Treadmills. To add to all this, my friend and I were able to walk to a majority of places and restaurants, which was a huge plus. Parking your car in San Fran is probably one of the worst experiences ever (there is never a place to park), so it was really nice to take a break from that!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank julesandjeff
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stay here almost monthly for business and it never disappoints. Rooms are always comfortable and it's always a great night of sleep. Location is perfect for getting all over the city. The restaurant is very good and the bartenders are great. I highly recommend this hotel in San Francisco.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this location several occasions, the 1st time I booked based on reviews from TA, and then it was a no brainer every time we return to SF. Expect the quality, luxury and cleanliness of a Westin plus the very convenient location to public transportation like Bart, buses and the cable cars. But most conveniently you can walk to embarcadero, shopping in union square, SF MOMA, fisherman's wharf is a stretch but we've done it. Also within a 15 min walk you can visit one of our favorite SF gems, the Ferry building and the amazing farmer's market. There's another Westin location in the area called St. Francis and it way fancier but I find it more distant to our favorite attractions in the city plus the rates are always higher than the Market St location.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Carmen P
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Nice hotel , Great location and super nice rooms are what makes staying here worth it. The Starwood service is evident and rooms are spacious and have nice views of the city from the higher floors.

Would love to go back here anytime.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KunalChaudhary82
Ashley D, Manager at The Park Central San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and to the Westin San Francisco Market Street. We appreciate your review and are grateful for your comments regarding the great location, relaxing and refreshing guestrooms and exceptional service. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.