“Ok experience, but there are far better in the area”

The Park Central San Francisco
Ranked #63 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Full disclosure: I booked our room using hotwire, so I didn't get my full SPG rewards experience at the hotel.

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Market Street for 2 nights in order to attend a trade show at the Moscone center and celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We arrived late and had a somewhat brusque front desk experience. I asked for a a great view for our celebration and the desk agent basically ignored me and just handed us keys with no explanation. Upon entering the room, I was taken aback by how tiny it was. We have stayed at several other Union Square properties in the $200-$400 range and this room was by far the smallest. Of course like all SPG properties it was clean and neat and the bed was VERY comfortable! My biggest complaint was the bathroom. I am not a tall person (5' 6") and the shower head was literally aimed at my throat. The shower head was so low on the wall that my wife had to take a bath both days as she couldn't get enough water pressure to get soap out of her hair. between the low shower head and almost no water pressure, we joked that the shower in our RV was better! I know, this is a first world problem, but when you're expecting a swanky experience for your $$$ it was certainly a let down.

oh, and we didn't get the view either... A few other quirky experiences along the way. vomit in an elevator, expensive wifi and our honor bar missing items just gave us a less than stellar experience.

I'm sure there are nicer rooms and the hotel staff cleaned up the elevator mess quickly, but I have had much better experiences at some of their competitors downtown.

Room Tip: ask for Bay views and corner rooms...

Reviewed October 28, 2012

As in most city westin properties I've been to, the location is great. Central to everything. This one doesn't disappoint. The room, though not enormous, was comfortable but the view was simply amazing. Full out vista of bridge, Alcatraz etc...just awesome. Floor to ceiling windows on two sides of this corner room lent an even more fabulous perspective...only thing i can say constructively about this property is that the concierges were minimal and somewhat lukewarm. For a city hotel, that just won't do.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I love this place. Even though I'm now officially a resident of SF, this has been my go-to hotel over the past few years. It's in a perfect location, just steps off of Market Street (which is probably considered to be the main drag in downtown SF) and public transportation, and smack in the middle of all sorts of restaurants, shops, etc. I love the floor to ceiling windows in the rooms, and can never get enough of the Westin signature scent throughout the property. The beds and bedding are divine. I've seriously contemplated buying a set for myself (thanks to Westin at Home!) Parking is super pricey, but then again, it is just as expensive at any other hotel in town, so it is what it is.... just be mindful of that when considering whether or not to get a rental car! I have been pleasantly surprised on many occasions to be able to get a reasonably-priced room (e.g., under $200) at this very nice hotel. Plus, they offer AAA discounts, which makes it even better!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Smaim
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Welcoming staff on reception and bellhop with extremely comfortable elegant room with great soap in the bath room. Well laid out and good views out over the City. Close to all the attractions many within easy walking distances. Unfortunately only there for a couple of days on business conference which took me out and about so no time to really explore but did manage to do some sightseeing. Would recommend it for a good base for a city break. Only one grumble, the cocktail I chose wasn't included in the happy hour menu! Just my luck and the bar staff, who weren't the friendliest, didn't advise me about this and you had to really "grab" their attention to get a menu.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is on third street a short block from market. It is very well located as you are only a couple blocks from the stores at Union Square, or if you turn left on Market you are within a 8 minute walk from Nordstrom and an indoor mall that shelters one from the elements of winter in San francisco.
We had a room on the 24th floor that overlooked San francisco, and the bay and on a clear day it was beautiful.
The room was furnished with a chair and a desk and with all the plugs that one needed for our computers etc. It was comfortable and furnished with a more contemporary look, and was very comfortable. I prefer the location and furnishings to the Sheraton Palace another Starwood hotel a couple of blocks away.
Parking was $46 a day with in and out privileges. If you didn't need the car, the garage across the street was only $25 a day.
A great location if you have your spouse with you, as while you are at meetings, she can be well entertained with all the stores close by, within a short walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the side that looks over the ocean, and get a room high up.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you enjoy a clean, modern, and comfortable hotel centrally located to the shopping districts, this hotel is perfect. The Westin has amazingly comfortable beds with fresh crisps sheets changed daily (however you must toss your sheets on the ground in order to get new sheets everyday) and all the necessary amenities. Highly recommend this hotel for a quick visit to SF or for business.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tiffanyyy86
Reviewed October 23, 2012

...so expect something solid, not too fancy, yet reliable and reasonably priced - together with a very central location to the downtown area a very good offer! A parking garage is opposite the hotel which saves cost on the expensive valet parking of the hotel.

2  Thank hbdutytravel